IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your 2017 Race Season
12/31/17, 3:56 PM   #31
Re: Your 2017 Race Season
dirtinmynachos

Race Count This Year: 30
Race Count Last Year: 26

I made it to 30 races at 25 tracks in 8 states. That is up from 26/20/6 in 2016. I visited 16 tracks for the first time:

Du Quoin (indoor), US24, West Liberty (IA), Lincoln (IL), Springfield (IL) outdoor arena, Eriez (PA), Tri-City (PA), New Egypt (NJ), Farmer City (IL), Tri-City (IL) quarter midgets, Gateway (IL) oval, Wayne County (OH), Little Eldora, Sandusky (OH), Blackhawk Farms road course (IL), and Lake Cumberland (KY). I also attended an IndyCar 2018 aerokit test at Iowa Speedway.

That brings my lifetime total to 135 tracks - mostly dirt ovals, but also some paved tracks and a handful of drag strips. If the weather cooperates, I will add three new tracks in February while on a vacation to Florida (Bubba, East Bay, and Daytona).

I only attended two races in my home state of Wisconsin all year as I prefer to travel. Rain claimed three planned Indiana visits in May - Terre Haute, Hoosier Hundred, and Kokomo, however, I stumbled across a dry US24 race on my way home from a soggy Kokomo.

I made my annual trips to the Indy 500, Little 500, and the Knoxville Nationals - all of them worthwhile! Among my favorites were All Star races at Macon (IL) and Wayne County (OH), and the IndyCars at Gateway. Justin Peck winning an All Star heat race at Macon without a front wing was the most incredible moment of the year - restarted at the back and smoked by Smoke. Chad Boat's 100 yard tumble at Lincoln was the craziest thing I saw all year.

In my 40 years of going to races, I never witnessed a fatal accident until this year. Paul Graybrook passed away after an accident at Springfield, a memory that will stick with me forever. I hope to go another 40 without experiencing that again.

For 2018, my aim is to tackle a few bucket list tracks, notably Lawrenceburg, Tri-City (IL), and Atomic (OH), as well as more USAC sprint races.

Happy New Year everybody. Let's enjoy every lap of '18!

12/31/17, 5:18 PM   #32
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtinmynachos View Post
I made it to 30 races at 25 tracks in 8 states. That is up from 26/20/6 in 2016. I visited 16 tracks for the first time:

Du Quoin (indoor), US24, West Liberty (IA), Lincoln (IL), Springfield (IL) outdoor arena, Eriez (PA), Tri-City (PA), New Egypt (NJ), Farmer City (IL), Tri-City (IL) quarter midgets, Gateway (IL) oval, Wayne County (OH), Little Eldora, Sandusky (OH), Blackhawk Farms road course (IL), and Lake Cumberland (KY). I also attended an IndyCar 2018 aerokit test at Iowa Speedway.

That brings my lifetime total to 135 tracks - mostly dirt ovals, but also some paved tracks and a handful of drag strips. If the weather cooperates, I will add three new tracks in February while on a vacation to Florida (Bubba, East Bay, and Daytona).

I only attended two races in my home state of Wisconsin all year as I prefer to travel. Rain claimed three planned Indiana visits in May - Terre Haute, Hoosier Hundred, and Kokomo, however, I stumbled across a dry US24 race on my way home from a soggy Kokomo.

I made my annual trips to the Indy 500, Little 500, and the Knoxville Nationals - all of them worthwhile! Among my favorites were All Star races at Macon (IL) and Wayne County (OH), and the IndyCars at Gateway. Justin Peck winning an All Star heat race at Macon without a front wing was the most incredible moment of the year - restarted at the back and smoked by Smoke. Chad Boat's 100 yard tumble at Lincoln was the craziest thing I saw all year.

In my 40 years of going to races, I never witnessed a fatal accident until this year. Paul Graybrook passed away after an accident at Springfield, a memory that will stick with me forever. I hope to go another 40 without experiencing that again.

For 2018, my aim is to tackle a few bucket list tracks, notably Lawrenceburg, Tri-City (IL), and Atomic (OH), as well as more USAC sprint races.

Happy New Year everybody. Let's enjoy every lap of '18!
16 new tracks.... very impressive!

12/31/17, 6:50 PM   #33
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
I made it to 30 races at 25 tracks in 8 states.... Blackhawk Farms road course (IL)....
Did you go out on the track in a rented sports car for a few laps with one of the instructors? One of my buds at work did it this past Summer and thoroughly enjoyed blasting around the course in a Lamborgini and then jumping into a Porsche.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtinmynachos
12/31/17, 9:36 PM   #34
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

We were fortunate to attend 62 events this year, new tracks were:

FALS @Fairbury IL.
Lincoln IL.
Springfield IL APA
Moberly Mo.
Spoon River IL.

A return trip to Knoxville IA was priceless, plus revisiting Lakeside KS was good as well. We will see what 2018 brings, right now with the thermometer around 0 BRP sounds inviting in February.
We wish a Prosperous, Happy & Safe New Year to All!

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

12/31/17, 11:42 PM   #35
dirtinmynachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Did you go out on the track in a rented sports car for a few laps with one of the instructors? One of my buds at work did it this past Summer and thoroughly enjoyed blasting around the course in a Lamborgini and then jumping into a Porsche.
The lady in the souvenir store was trying to talk me into it! I am tempted. Ride along instructors were not offered on that day. I was there to see a Chicago area sports car club race in late October. Not my favorite kind of racing, but it was my only choice close to home that weekend.

1 member likes this post: Stevensville Mike
1/1/18, 12:07 AM   #36
dirtinmynachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
16 new tracks.... very impressive!
Thanks. I am a TrackChaser (roamingtheraceways.com). The site is a friendly competition for anyone (fan and/or driver) with lifetime visits to 100 or more tracks. All-time and yearly rankings are listed, and some of us share stories of our travels on an email report. So, I have an urge to see new places.

My 16 pales in comparison to many in the group, including one guy who made it to 103 new tracks this year. I bumped into him at the IRP Silver Crown race in May.

Note - not every type of race track is counted in their rankings. No drag strips, no youth racing.

1/1/18, 5:21 AM   #37
revjimk

Quote:
Thanks. I am a TrackChaser (roamingtheraceways.com). The site is a friendly competition for anyone (fan and/or driver) with lifetime visits to 100 or more tracks. All-time and yearly rankings are listed, and some of us share stories of our travels on an email report. So, I have an urge to see new places.

My 16 pales in comparison to many in the group, including one guy who made it to 103 new tracks this year. I bumped into him at the IRP Silver Crown race in May.

Note - not every type of race track is counted in their rankings. No drag strips, no youth racing.
I met a guy who claimed to have been to 600 tracks...seemed honest enough! I went to 3 tracks as a kid, took a break for 40 years (!) & starting going to dirt track races again in 2010. Been to 30 tracks so far, have to travel cause Colorado is far from a hotbed

1/1/18, 6:09 AM   #38
revjimk

Quote:

Thats an interesting website... one guy has been to 1700+ tracks!?!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtinmynachos, WinglessLovers
1/1/18, 8:25 AM   #39
toledo47

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Thats an interesting website... one guy has been to 1700+ tracks!?!
Its an interesting site, though numbers can be a little deceiving. Check tracks like Salem Indiana or Toledo Ohio on his list. They managed to count both of those tracks 4 times each due to figure 8 configurations, etc... Still impressive though

1 member likes this post: dirtinmynachos
1/1/18, 9:57 AM   #40
hoosierhillbilly

While not on track chasers, this guy is very serious

http://randylewis.org

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your 2017 Race Season