IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bommarito 500
8/29/17, 3:01 PM   #1
Bommarito 500
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Just thought I would post a few brief lines about the Verizon IndyCar series race this past Saturday night at Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison, IL. The only other mention of it I have seen on here was by a gentleman seeking someone to share the ride from Indy to the race.
First of all, I would have to say this is a very nice facility with state of the art lighting. I didn't know what to expect as far as crowd attendance was concerned. It turned out I was lucky to have bought advance tickets, as the event was a sellout. By the time the race started, the stand was virtually full. No doubt the promotion by the Bommarito automotive group was effective. There were some glitches; the parking lot personnel need some training, and the PA system is lacking.
As far as the race itself is concerned, it got off to a rocky start with Tony Kanaan spinning on the parade lap. The first lap saw polesitter Will Power, Ed Carpenter and Takuma Sato taken out in a crash that saw Ed Carpenter's machine land on top of Will Power's car.
Once the race finally developed a rhythm, it was a good show. It was punctuated by five cautions, but the Penske machines were in charge most of the time, with only Scott Dixon providing much of a challenge. Connor Daly in one of A.J. Foyt's machines was competitive and got a top five. Super Tex was actually at the track in spite of hurricane Harvey threatening his ranch.
Josef Newgarden is one of the most impressive open wheel drivers I have seen in sometime. He put a move on his teammate Simon Pagenaud for the lead that left him fuming, but it was just a good racing move, and propelled Josef to the win.
We arrived at my car at 11:20 and decided to just cool it until the traffic started to move. It was 12:05AM when I fired my trusty beast and drove at a moderate pace without stopping until arriving at Collinsville Road.
It was my first time to witness an IndyCar race under the lights, and it was a very interesting experience.
Since I had no advance plans to attend the Smackdown and wanted to see a quality race program, I feel I received my moneys worth and then some.
We met an interesting assortment of fans around us. There was an older couple from Plainfield, IN behind us, as well as a couple from England who had flown to see the eclipse and had attended the NAPCAR race at Bristol. A couple of younger fellows from Indianapolis sat to my left. None of the people from Indiana seem to be aware of the Smackdown, which I found surprising.
I know that all of you enjoyed the Smackdown, and I enjoyed the IndyCar race. With the much improved appearing car for 2018, this series has a promising future.
Well, I will return to the dirt this weekend, with stops planned at LPS and DuQuoin. Glad to see Ken Schrader and Tony Stewart will be competing and The Peoples Champ will be in the #97 Silver Crown car which will make Earlene happy.
Hope everyone has a safe week and enjoys the racing of their choice this weekend.

8/29/17, 3:58 PM   #2
david mitchell
Banned

It looked like a good event.just goes to show the crowd an indycar race can get if promoted properly and have community backing.not enough promoters today.

8/29/17, 4:09 PM   #3
Re: Bommarito 500
rj1

I attended as well. From parking to concessions to leaving the track, I could tell they underestimated the attendance they could get. A good problem to have for a promoter. For that reason, I'll give them a pass provided they make the necessary fixes for the 2018 race.

As far as the racing, was a bit follow the leader. I think when Indycar does their 2018 aerokit and reducing the influence of the wings, it'll be good for their short oval package. But Newgarden's pass on Pagenaud to win...MANLY pass, and saved the race a bit.

Also, I think that was the best race of Conor Daly's career as far as him being racy. Not sure if it came across on TV but he was mixing it up all night with people and might've had most passes for position.
Last edited by rj1; 8/29/17 at 4:11 PM.

8/29/17, 6:40 PM   #4
B99

I'm glad this event went well for Gateway-they've worked extremely hard to make a go of that track.

However, if what I link here is the attitude of the series toward dirt track people, I'm not sure I'd spend my money on a ticket.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...2244-Chad-Boat

Personally I don't know how he performed. Indy Lights cars are frankly underpowered, over downforced go-karts. You'd think many of the Indy Car set wouldn't be so judgmental after one event and their attitude has been if you want a ride go out and get the funding. I assume that's what he did.

4 members like this post: Amzie, davidm, dirtnonwingfan, Pat O'Connor Fan
8/29/17, 8:04 PM   #5
Rapid Rick

Pretty sure I only saw one pass up to lap 130. Sounds like it got better after I fell asleep.

8/29/17, 9:00 PM   #6
Amzie

Went to the race with my dad and we'll be back next year. Hate to miss the Smackdown but quite honestly I can easily drive to a lot of good non-wing spring shows but Indy has been the only oval show nearby. I couldn't pass up going to gateway. We also went to practice and qualifying on Friday night. They even opened up the front stretch gate by the flag stand to let fans onto the track after the race. Got a chance to get pics with Takuma Sato and Connor Daly.

I just wish USAC and IndyCar would work together during oval races. I couldn't find a sprint car race anywhere nearby Friday night. I used to love going to Chicago when USAC ran on the dirt track next door.

8/30/17, 4:09 PM   #7
rj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
I'm glad this event went well for Gateway-they've worked extremely hard to make a go of that track.

However, if what I link here is the attitude of the series toward dirt track people, I'm not sure I'd spend my money on a ticket.

Personally I don't know how he performed. Indy Lights cars are frankly underpowered, over downforced go-karts. You'd think many of the Indy Car set wouldn't be so judgmental after one event and their attitude has been if you want a ride go out and get the funding. I assume that's what he did.
At the time of the crash he was 3 laps down and everyone else was still on the lead lap, if the race had stayed green til the end, Boat would've finished 4 laps down and Alberico and Rickards probably would've gotten lapped. The crash was as much on Alberico as it was Boat.

With hindsight, the Pro Mazda race would've been a better place for him. Smaller car count and spread out pretty quick.

The issue for short-track guys is in the case of Boat he's skipped F2000 and Pro Mazda and jumped right to Lights. Well, he's racing against guys that already have had almost a full season in the Lights car this year, and probably a year or multiple years in lesser formulas, while for Boat was it his first-ever race in a rear-engine car? I don't know what the answer is short of the cars getting more horsepower/less aero to make them more like a dirt car, which may happen in Indycars but it's not happening in the Mazda Road to Indy, or there's a systemic driver development system through all the Mazda Road to Indy program instead of showing up "late in the game" in Lights.
Last edited by rj1; 8/30/17 at 4:19 PM.

1 member likes this post: Will Shunk
8/30/17, 4:54 PM   #8
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1 View Post

With hindsight, the Pro Mazda race would've been a better place for him. Smaller car count and spread out pretty quick.

The issue for short-track guys is in the case of Boat he's skipped F2000 and Pro Mazda and jumped right to Lights. Well, he's racing against guys that already have had almost a full season in the Lights car this year, and probably a year or multiple years in lesser formulas, while for Boat was it his first-ever race in a rear-engine car?
Clauson did it. I know he never set the world on fire in Lights but he did a bang up job with no time in lesser formulas than I know of. (Chad even has more NASCAR experience than Bryan had.) And Clauson looked great his first month of May until qualifying crashed seemed to set back the rest of the effort.

Bryan was special; and Chad just isn't that marquee guy I'm afraid. And I genuinely like Chad; but I think writing may be going on the wall.

8/30/17, 8:34 PM   #9
Brickyard

Quote:

Considering this iteration of car is faster than the last, 29 mph off the IndyCar pole, and 25 mph higher than anything NASCAR has ran there it's not quite the underpowered or over downforced go-kart you believe it to be. The rear end of those cars were jumping around in turn one and two all race long.

Considering the source of your link a lot of that is just trolling and left over residue from the split. TF is pretty much a POS site and one I don't go to if I want actual discussion on IndyCar. I can say the exact also same thing in reverse regarding this website based on somethings I've had slung my way by a few users regarding road/street courses and foreign drivers.

As pointed out above, this isn't the same car Clauson drove, nor like anything he's ever driven I would suspect. He was over 2 seconds off pole speed and competiting against guys that have been driving these type cars nearly their whole lives. If he wants to compete he's going to need considerable seat time.

FYI, next year IndyCar is pushing a good chunck of downforce production, well over 60% of it, to the undertray. According to Montoya the new aero will race much more like the old CART and ChampCar cars rather than the over downforced pack racing machines the IRL produced. He said they lowered the downforce on the short oval package and were getting the same times as the current aero. The difference was where they were making that time. The car was still accelerating in the straights causing them to lift considerably through the turns...something like a 20 mph difference rather than a 7 mph difference we are currently seeing. It's only going to get tougher considering the talent level currently populating that series.

I know from getting bashed here earlier this will not be a popular opinion but it's advice that should be taken. If any short tracker aspires to run in that world they need to first start placing their careers in their own hands and stop waiting for the rich guy with sponsorship to give them a call. It ain't happening. They need to have their own backing prepared and then, more importantley, they need to get their asses off the dirt and into a rear engine machines running road and street courses. Outside the occasional Clauson those one offs are going to go to guys with prior experience and backing and crossovers from Cup and F1. If the 500 is your goal you really need to consider working toward a full time ride and not relying on a one off.
Last edited by Brickyard; 8/30/17 at 8:40 PM.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, trannyman
8/31/17, 12:58 AM   #10
Puppy

Quote:

LOL this is laughable. You think a bunch of opinions on some forum are the official opinions of the SERIES? Furthermore, if opinions on internet forums are the reasons people would not support certain series, why would you expect the IndyCar crowd to come and support short track racing? If they were to come on IoW and hear how IndyCar is talked about vs dirt track racing, using your thinking, they'd never come to a sprint car race...lol
Oh and Lights cars being "Go Karts"? C'mon man, you are just showing your ignorance... That sounds as dumb as the stock car guys saying that sprint cars are just big "go karts"....
Last edited by Puppy; 8/31/17 at 1:28 AM.

1 member likes this post: Simon_says17
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bommarito 500