IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Rule Question
1/29/17, 1:13 AM   #11
kendirt

Last edited by kendirt; 1/29/17 at 1:15 AM.

1/29/17, 2:00 AM   #12
Mattmac05

Personally, I am a fan. 1) the medium is hard enough to get about 65-70 good laps out of it as long as it doesn't take rubber or get too abrasive 2) without a mandated tire that isn't terribly soft like a rd12, big teams would be running rd12's and it is difficult to compete when they are using brand new RD12s 3) it's one less setup variable for new teams. Essentially with an open tire rule, big teams would buy softer tires and change them more often, thus having both newer and softer tires. Right now those teams just have newer tires.

5 members like this post: CRA91, fish, hairracer44, tirespinner, TQ29m
1/29/17, 3:55 AM   #13
jscott101

I am not a fan and here's my opinion.

They are not sponsoring me, or giving me any kind of incentive to run that tire. It cost me more money and honestly I don't like someone telling me what I can and can't do on my race car.

Now, does it stop me from going to these race tracks. Sometimes, sometimes not.

1/29/17, 12:06 PM   #14
Leohr46

We can have a tire that meets a certain hardness. But till one brand is sponsoring me I think we should have a choice. Hoosier medium or American Racer mc2. Because I have to foot the bill. And there is a difference in price.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
1/29/17, 12:25 PM   #15
Re: Tire Rule Question
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
...As far as the rules it is my opinion that if you are going to have a tire rule the easiest way to enforce is to mandate a certain tire. I'm not convinced that the durometer readings can be consistent enough to use as an objective measure. I would rather race under no tire rules than durometer rules.

Just my opinion.

Tim Simmons
With the different chemical treatments available today, I'm told you can treat tires to behave in many different ways without effecting the durometer reading. Early in my racing career when I raced karts I soaked my tires with many different things, it wasn't illegal and was openly practiced by everyone. As I matured and learned about the dangers, I stopped soaking and began buying a larger inventory of tires so I could select the proper compound for the surface. I actually ran better once I gave up soaking, now having said that I'm more in favor of open tire rules than exclusive tire rules. I hate track tire rules because one, they usually only benefit the track owner and the tire supplier and two, they tempt those among us who have a bit of larceny in their hearts to cheat, and steal a victory. Call me stupid, naive or ignorant, but I won't knowingly ever cheat for an advantage, period. If there must be a tire rule I prefer the ones that are, "open" brand/compound, but maybe stipulate you have to race on the same tire you qualified on with maybe an optional RR change. Excessive nascaresque type rules and limiting individual creativity and ingenuity in racing are why I left DLM racing & karting. That's my take on tire rules, less is more, as long as the rules are consistently enforced on "everyone". I don't like rules that reward the lazy racers who don't want to have to make an effort either in mental thought or a commitment in time. Learn to be faster.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 1/29/17 at 8:05 PM.

1 member likes this post: MKTQ17
1/29/17, 12:26 PM   #16
cshuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I don't have any dog in the fight other than not really wanting to go to shows with less than three heats, hopefully a consi so nobody's safe and a feature of the main class.

That being said, Here is what I don't get. They mandate a brand, Then the hardness. OK, It's a Hoosier Medium. Ok, There is five teams that maybe can afford to slap a new Hoosier Medium on. They'll probably win if the tire last.

There's 25 teams that can't afford a new tire or two every night. In fact, If they could put a hardness on that would last five, six, seven nights, That team would be back next week and the week after just by saving that $$ for fuel for both the hauler and the car.

So why isn't the harder compounds allowed? I could then use my Hoosier Medium to make about 5 heats and transfer and a harder compound to run several features.. That way at least Im getting something back over tow money.

I think WoO and Allstars both have the choice of three hardness's and the LM's do too as I often hear them say, Well such and such choose the sofer and I picked medium and mine didn't come in till about 15 laps.

Im not a fan of the tire rules period. Nowhere do I see em helping the sport.
You can run a "Hard" if you want to

1/29/17, 1:52 PM   #17
hairracer44

I like what I see so far, it is nice to see others opinions on tire rules. I said before I think this is something that needs discussed to me it seems to come up in conversations a lot but no one seems to want to discuss it in a public forum. I personally would like to see all the tracks in Indiana either go to an open tire rule or (I still don't like it but it is better than all 4) back to a Right rear only rule. BOSS has an great average car count and I think had 17 full time cars follow and travel with them and I believe it had a lot to do with the open tire rule.

6 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Leohr46, MKTQ17, sprint18, TQ29m, wvwildthg
1/29/17, 4:21 PM   #18
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
You can run a "Hard" if you want to
Maybe in War, In USAC it has to be allowed by officials and then if you don't have one on you, you probably can't get it at the track.

Most track websites that have a tire rule only list the Hoosier Medium.

Not at all arguing, I just wondered why they can't choose other than a tire guaranteed to wear out for the feature for those knowing it will. They want to race tomorrow night or next week too.

1/29/17, 4:37 PM   #19
treecitytornado

The Medium is plenty hard in most instances unless a track takes rubber, in which case no tire is hard enough.

1 member likes this post: CRA91
1/29/17, 7:29 PM   #20
CRA91

Most people won't even run the Hoosier Hard tire,because once you get heat in it and say during a feature and a caution comes out and the tire cools off it then seals over and your on a freight train to the back. I've run the Medium in some pretty bad track conditions and have yet to have one not make it to the finish of the race.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Rule Question