IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jim Nabors
3/25/14, 5:05 PM   #1
Jim Nabors
Jim Halpert

It was announced today that Jim Nabors will sing "Back Home Again in Indiana" for the final time at the 2014 Indianapolis 500. Since I began attending in 1992, Nabors' voice has been one of the greatest moments each and every race day. As with all traditions that are based on human beings, we knew the end had to come sometime...and we will miss him very much. I know of a couple people in Grandstand G who will be blubbering like babies when that time comes Raceday morning...probably a couple hundred thousand more surrounding them. Just wanted to say thank you to a class act, a great friend of the Speedway, and a man's who's voice will always be a part of each and every May. Thanks for the memories Jim...good luck in retirement.

3/25/14, 6:50 PM   #2
Re: Jim Nabors
Jerry Shaw

It had always been one of my favorite parts of that day. Ever since he started doing that. When I was overseas, listening to the 500 on Armed Forces Radio, it became my favorite part of race day. I was supposed to be a tough guy. You know, a Marine. But I was never tough enough to keep the tears from running down my face when Jim Nabors was singing this song about my home, when I was 8000 miles away, listening to the race at 2 am. This song will always belong to him, as far as I'm concerned.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

3/25/14, 9:51 PM   #3
sprntr

My first memory of Jim Nabors is actually of his "alter ego", Gomer Pyle, on the Andy Griffith Show. Hearing him sing "Back Home Again In Indiana" at my first 500 was both a surprise & a treat. A surprise because I didn't even know he could sing & a treat because his performance was quite moving, even for someone with no emotional ties to Indiana. A couple of years ago they used a canned performance at the 500 since Mr. Nabors was unable to attend. While not quite the same for those who normally could see him sing, the rest of us listening on the P.A. system or on the radio, couldn't hear a difference. I can't imagine anyone else singing THAT song. The Speedway should use that recording starting next year & keep the tradition alive.

I say better to have Gomer in a can than no Gomer at all!

steiny

3/25/14, 11:14 PM   #4
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

I still remember the episode where Carrol Burnett was on, trying to teach Gomer to sing Row, row, row your boat... I think it was the first time America found out that Jim could sing as well as act. I hope the folks at Indy keep the tradition alive with a recording of him doing the song, rather than handing it to whom ever they can get to sing it each year.

Bill

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
3/25/14, 11:34 PM   #5
johnno18169

Race Count This Year: 18
Race Count Last Year: 12

I watch the race live on television here on the Gold Coast in Australia, every year since i was 25, i am now 60 and hoping to go to my first Indy 500 next year. Listening to the great Jim N perform Home in Indiana always bought a tear to my eye. Have been to Indiana and it is one of my favourite US states. Am going to miss him. Yes, all great traditions start with human involvement, and he is truely a great man.

1 member likes this post: nowings4me
3/25/14, 11:44 PM   #6
terrehautian

I am a big Andy Griffith show fan, as someone else posted, when I first heard him sing in real life, I thought no way that was him. I am glad I got to hear it live in person last year at the 500. Hoping to do so again this year. Also, as someone else posted, hopefully they keep the tradition alive by a recorded version. Honestly, it gave me cold chills hearing it in person last year.

3/26/14, 1:28 AM   #7
richie

I love Jim Nabors annual singing of "Back Home Again in Indiana" and it brings a tear to my eye, goosebumps, and a chill up and down my spine on race day every May.

While I will miss this tradition greatly, I can't say I really support the notion of playing a tape of him singing the song in 2015 and beyond. I feel it is time to start a new tradition with a group such as Straight No Chaser who do an outstanding job with their version of the song and can create a tradition that will resonate with a new generation of Indy 500 fans as much as Jim Nabors did for the past 42 years.

Along with Tom Carnegie, Sid Collins, Tony Hulman and the other voices we have heard over the years, time marches on and somebody else must carry on the tradition. Jim Nabors will always be an icon at Indy as much the yard of bricks. It's going to be weird not hearing Nabors' voice after this year and I can't thank him enough for playing a prominent role in my favorite day of the year.
Last edited by richie; 3/26/14 at 1:29 AM.

3/26/14, 6:55 AM   #8
ThePurple73

Jim Nabors is as much a part of the Indianapolis 500 as letting the balloons fly, the green flag, drinking the milk, just any part of it. The singing of "Back Home In Indiana" always brings a tear to my eye also. I can see in my mind the fields people are working between Evansville and Terre Haute, I even get the smell of the new mown hay. That's what I love about the Indy 500, in this day of crazy ********, sensationalism of news on TV...you can go or watch the Indy 500 and with all the tradition, it restores your patriotism, a lot of families enjoying the same event...restores your faith in people getting along. It reminds you to take time and enjoy life and have fun.
Jim Nabors singing that song is probably one of the best ambassador activities Indiana has put forward each year.

Maybe they will always play a version in the future, that may be nice. I am sure they will do something appropriate.

No matter the racing aspect of the Indy 500, the traditions are almost as important as the cars on the track.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 3/26/14 at 7:06 AM.

1 member likes this post: R A K
3/26/14, 8:01 AM   #9
larsonfan
Banned

I'm originally from PA, and now live in Ohio - but I cry every time he sings that song. Love him and the great state if Indiana!

3/26/14, 8:03 AM   #10
Gregg

The first time I went to the Indianapolis 500 was 1967. Part of the celebrity caravan was Frank Sutton, the long suffering Sgt Carter that Gomer reported to. Sutton started off Day 2 of the Indy 500 ordering the clouds "Out! Out! Out!" in rare Sgt. Carter form. I don't know how close of friends Sutton and Nabors were off screen but I bet Sutton turned Gomer on to Indy.

It was only a few year later after 1967 that Jim Nabors began a mostly a 40+ year run at the speedway and a tradition. It will be a sentimental an sad May when Gomer sings his final "Back Home Again...".

2 members like this post: dirt330, speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jim Nabors