IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
nodramazone20 (Offline)
  #11 7/1/22 1:22 PM
The biggest issue I have with work areas and time limits.....the time limits are too easy to manipulate by the sanctioning body of the event. Do not even try and tell me all drivers and teams are treated the same, because it is simply not true.
15 Likes: 3R, addictedtodirt, Charles Nungester, cornerthree, erich45, flagboy55, Go Fast, jonboat15, K92, Kendall2020, luckybuc97, Pitdad, racenut69, TNRustler, Will Shunk
jonboat15 (Offline)
  #12 7/1/22 1:30 PM
Originally Posted by nodramazone20:
The biggest issue I have with work areas and time limits.....the time limits are too easy to manipulate by the sanctioning body of the event. Do not even try and tell me all drivers and teams are treated the same, because it is simply not true.
For sure about favoritism but its been happening for as long as I've been going to sporting events.
Pitdad (Online)
  #13 7/1/22 2:16 PM
From my perspective, it all started with the World of Outlaws. The track operator/local promoter paid a sanctioning fee to present "the Greatest Show on Dirt" to his audience, and if one of those stars had a mishap, we were going to wait for him to try to fix it and get him back on the track. After all, that's what the people paid to see. Thus the advent of the "war wagon" with all the spare and standardized parts. It was NEVER a part of a weekly show. You had a problem, you went to the trailer.

Now, you see it everywhere, because the Outlaws did it. I understand the need to make sure the fans get to see the premier drivers, but it is unfair to the competitors who's cars aren't so lightweight that every little bump knocks down a tire, or bends a wheel. Reliability should also be a factor in racing. Otherwise, let's have competition reds at every race to make sure everyone is ready for a green/white/checkered finish (something else I hate...)

And yes, that "two minute" work area clock runs pretty fast when it's "Local Joe", but when it's "Traveling Superstar", the clock never seems to start...
5 Likes: 3R, Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, flagboy55, Will Shunk
Andrew S. Quinn (Offline)
  #14 7/1/22 6:52 PM
Originally Posted by Will Shunk:
. I wish we could limit responses to this post to those under the age of 40.
How many people under 40 actually post here?
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan, flagboy55, jdull99, racenut69
The55 (Offline)
  #15 7/1/22 8:01 PM
How long do most features last if green to checker, 10 minutes or less for an average show? There is all kinds of dead time at a dirt track, adding a few more minutes due to the work area is not what is causing late nights at the track. I don’t mind getting to see a fast car come back to the rear of the field and race their way to the front. Adds some more excitement to that short racing time.
3 Likes: miledirt, motorhead748, TNRustler
duel (Offline)
  #16 7/1/22 8:16 PM
If it is over 2 other divisions besides the traveling groups that I have a problem with. Not a couple extra minutes in a work area. I have cheered and cursed waiting on someone lol.
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, captrat, flagboy55, PIT CART
oldfan49 (Offline)
  #17 7/4/22 9:46 PM
signal the start of the timer ( what ever is set by the rule ) when the car stops in the work area. No one touches the car until that signal is given Timer is not dependent on anything happening on the track. give a signal 30 seconds before the end of the timer. When the time is up signal again, hands off the car, push off or go to the trailer.
miledirt (Offline)
  #18 7/5/22 6:53 AM
If they keep the show moving, run the advertised class feature first, then I don't mind it. It does add a bit of drama. That's just my two cents.

But if I've driven 2+ hours for a race and then they unnecessarily drag out the evening...running 2-4 other classes before the advertised feature class that I drove 2 hours to see, starting their feature after 11p... then work areas can be annoying.
sjracer26 (Offline)
  #19 7/5/22 8:26 AM
Run less classes (3 is my vote), have better track prep resulting in less rework through the night, don't make the race cars have to mud pack, start on time and only the title class gets work area time up until half way through the race.

Too many tracks rely on back gate income and accept low attendance in the front gate.

3 Likes: captrat, flagboy55, motorhead748
k-bob (Offline)
  #20 7/5/22 8:51 AM
If a track runs any number/size of divisions causing shows to take 3 + hours, they might put the races on flo, put the order of events online, run the A division feature first, and keep the ticket window open for fans showing up for just the features. Make it work for participants and fans of the biggest draw.