IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Will a full Containment seat help prevent bodily injuries?
YES a FC seat will help prevent bodily injuries 63 94.03%
NO a FC seat will not help prevent bodily injuries 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Full Containment Seat Mandate
7/5/13, 12:13 PM   #1
Full Containment Seat Mandate
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Enlighten of several injuries and 2 deaths within a 2 year time period the D-2 midgets and Southern States Mini/Micro Sprints have after quite a bit of intense study has determined necessary to mandate that ALL cars competing in the 2014 season must have an approved FULL CONTAINMENT seat...This will also be in effect for the 2014 Winternationals. I understand this will have a direct effect on all competitors but if it is not mandated most would not do it for their own safety. New seats are available from Butler Built, Kirkey, Ultra Shield and LaJoire from the price range of 450.00 to 1400.00. There are however MANY USED seats also out there from 300.00 to 600.00. Again I fully understand the expense of a seat but in an open **** pit race car I feel it is VERY necessary.

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/5/13, 12:31 PM   #2
Re: Full Containment Seat Mandate
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I commend you for doing that.

If it takes a big longer to get to the track, So be it. These things have been out for awhile. Can be bought cheap used and new form to you cast can be made.

Also Rollbar Padding is only a couple bucks and some racing tape. Window nets etc. Stay safer guys, It will never be 100% safe.

3 members like this post: buckeye4, FALCONEDDIE, Xflagman
7/5/13, 12:55 PM   #3
monkeyboy

It should be up to the drivers on what they run. Check out the seat the ripper runs out west

Posted via Mobile Device

7/5/13, 1:38 PM   #4
microsprint15

I don't run your series, but I completely disagree with this rule. We can probably argue until the end of time about safety devices and their worth. I think it should be up to the driver to decide which seat he feels is the most comfortable and safe for his personal use.

I know of more than one instance where a doctor has told a competitor that the full containment seat most likely increased or possibly caused an injury in an accident. Remember, sprint cars are not stock cars, and the way they crash are completely different in most instances.

1 member likes this post: racer5c
7/5/13, 1:47 PM   #5
PatrickMead#13

Good deal. That was the first thing that was put into my car when I built it. Nobody should ever cut corners on their seat and it should fit them correctly. Its ultimately up to each team buy its good to see some safety focus on a major piece of equipment. Seen some people with the wrong size or cutting corners due to cost which is always a bad idea.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by PatrickMead#13; 7/5/13 at 1:50 PM.

7/5/13, 1:54 PM   #6
Midget 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsprint15 View Post
I don't run your series, but I completely disagree with this rule. We can probably argue until the end of time about safety devices and their worth. I think it should be up to the driver to decide which seat he feels is the most comfortable and safe for his personal use.

I know of more than one instance where a doctor has told a competitor that the full containment seat most likely increased or possibly caused an injury in an accident. Remember, sprint cars are not stock cars, and the way they crash are completely different in most instances.
Can you back this up with fact? The official investigation into the death of Jason Leffler says: "Leffler was wearing a head and neck restraint, but a safety expert say he was not using a standard NASCAR seat that features a full containment headrest." One report said he had taken the left head wing off his seat in order to see to the inside.
Last edited by Midget 89; 7/5/13 at 2:05 PM.

7/5/13, 2:07 PM   #7
JstAbvVMC

I'm not going to address the safety issue. I think it's a no brainer, but I will address what might be an overlooked issue your group may want to consider....

As the former Technical Inspector for a racing association ( I will not name them because I don't speak for them) there was some serious discussion about "Mandating" certian safety items beyond what was refered to as "Standard Practice" safety equipment. IE...Snell approved Hemlet, Firesuit, Full 5 point belts ETC...

Items like a Hans device and full containment seats were ONLY listed as "Strongly Encouraged" safety items.

The thought was that if they mandated non standard items it could potentionally leave the organization open to legal issues if those items were to fail and cause injury or death.

Again, just a thought, after all we are a lawsuit happy nation.....

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
7/5/13, 2:08 PM   #8
sc96

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsprint15 View Post

The logic behind this type of statement is like saying well the doctor said you wouldn't have have gotten burnt nearly as bad if you wouldn't have been wearing any seat belts during that crash!!!!!! I'm sorry but what a load of **** its attitudes like this when it comes to safety that gets people hurt and killed if you have proof from a doctor we all would love to see it and not from DOCTOR SEUSE

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: fasster23, Scott Daloisio
7/5/13, 2:21 PM   #9
microsprint15

I cannot provide proof from any doctor as it was not me personally in the incidents.

I am not saying full containment seats are bad or cause more injuries. They may be great for many drivers and applications. I personally choose not to use one, and I feel it should be the driver's decision.

I know...If I don't like the rule, don't run the series. I won't, but I thought it was fair to provide my opinion before other series or tracks look into the same rule.

7/5/13, 2:42 PM   #10
C&R Racing

Race Count This Year: 4

I agree with Ryan, do not make us run what we do not want to run. Bladders and such that cause problems for other racers is one thing but when it is our own personal safety then that is up to us. Yes I have a great Hinchman suit with all the underwear and safety items.

However on the seats, what kind of seats are going to be allowed? There are some seats out there are so strong you can not move them at all. Which is BAD! Let's take for example you throwing a punch because you are mad at someone. Would you rather A) hit the other person and possibly hurt your hand, or B) not hit the person and go hit the brick wall and probably break your hand? Now I am not saying to go off and hit anything at all, but its a very good example of you crashing and hitting a total support seat that has a ton of supports and does not give at all(brick wall), or hitting a seat that gives somewhat. Now I am not saying go out and buy old junk or something rubber to sit in. I am saying there are some really tough and strong seats out there than we have no business being in.
Last edited by C&R Racing; 7/5/13 at 2:44 PM.

3 members like this post: Jim Gardner, spicoli, TQ29m
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Full Containment Seat Mandate