Register! Forgot Password?
REALDEAL (Offline)
  #31 9/17/14 9:47 AM
Now i remember why i quit going to wing shows
3 Likes: jim goerge, mowerman, speed bump
SWScaleChassis (Offline)
  #32 9/17/14 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by ShamrockRacin'48G:
I'll take gray haired old geezers over young pups with earrings and neck tatoos sittin next to me, any day... But I don't go to races to see the fans, I go to watch racers going wheel to wheel, not knowing who is gonna come out on top, throwing their machines into impossible gaps as they drive to the front....

^^Ill look for your insight on the thread that will come up at some point titled "How can we get more younger folks to the racetrack" or "Why are the stands so empty lately"

Anyways, I listened in on Dirtvision, and kept up with some Jackslash posts from qualifying. I watched the Smackdown, have seen highlights from Kokomo when USAC runs there. Was equally pleased with both performances between the WoO and USAC. No gripes about either one.

As for it being a "Non-Winged" track... Come on.. They were scary close to the 10 second bracket ALL NIGHT, sounded like a hammer down elbows up surface, and PLENTY of passing. Bell wins the B on the last lap. Goes from 21st to 10th. Stewart from 10th to 2nd (damn near won it). For all the folks that say that winged cars are always a nose to tail parade, wait for the WoO Highlights to show up on youtube. And while youre waiting, watch the highlights from last year...

I'm all for being proud of tradition. And having a close connection with the regional influences and staying loyal to one club. But, to scoff at what I would consider an awesome show, and whine that the Outlaws and their 'Tin-Tops' came into your 'non-winged' house is foolish. Especially when the Kokomo track champ runs the show. And Bacon. AND Ballou. AND Bell.

I loved the show they put on last night. Didnt care too much to see Schatz win it again, but happy for his success. Sounded like an awesome race, and I'm excited to listen in on the Terre Haute show again tonight.

-Justin
7 Likes: cwfan08, flagboy55, flatout, i love dirt track racing, illinifan, mcweld, progressive22
mowerman (Offline)
  #33 9/17/14 10:55 AM
Me too , It's been about 6 years , hopefully it'll be at least 10 years before i see another one .
2 Likes: jim goerge, speed bump
SWScaleChassis (Offline)
  #34 9/17/14 11:07 AM
As for all the 'bashing' goes, I speak from South Carolina. Ive seen 2 shows the year. The Outlaws at an AWFUL dust out in Charlotte, and 305's at the local bullring. Maybe 12 cars.

Most folks on this board have been to ISW, IMW, the Smackdown, and are within reasonable driving distance to any show on any given weekend... But yet still whine and moan because its not 'real racin'.

Lets trade addresses. Come down here and watch the stockcars and FWD 4 cylinders for 15 bucks in the front gate. I'll hit Kokomo, THAT, Lawrenceburg, Haubstadt and see NW 410's week after week while YOU read the results on Twitter and FB and wish you could trade places...

Enjoy it while you got it folks. Manzy went from USAC and WoO to a parking lot in 5 weeks...
8 Likes: dave, Dirtfan, FALCONEDDIE, FEATHERDUSTER, flagboy55, illinifan, jjracer636, speed bump
SWScaleChassis (Offline)
  #35 9/17/14 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by :
Now i remember why i quit going to wing shows
Originally Posted by :
Me too , It's been about 6 years , hopefully it'll be at least 10 years before i see another one .
May as well quit going to ANY shows for that matter then. Wing, Non-Winged, Radio Controlled.

Some 'grungy 20 year old' with neck tattoos and earrings will gladly take your seat and enjoy a good show, while folks with attitudes like that stay home and whine and cry about the wings.
2 Likes: illinifan, jjracer636
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #36 9/17/14 11:24 AM
great observations mr chasis. I hate the whole wing non-wing debate. it's still sprint cars! I agree with your thoughts on watching stock cars, I mean after all isn't stock car and race car a contradiction of terms? we here in Indiana are lucky to have so much open wheel racing. as I've said I prefer non wing but every time I go to a race I see a lot more gray than at outlaw races, myself included. I would much rather sit next to a tattooed young person than to read about another track closing. by the way, I know a lot of tattooed young people who are hard working, creative, fun people, more fun to sit next than some old grouch. that said, I got to go get a tattoo and some "just for men" before I leave for the 4 crown
2 Likes: flatout, SWScaleChassis
Flatrightrear (Offline)
  #37 9/17/14 12:22 PM
Sounds to me like a lot of non-wing fans just can't stay away from the Outlaws and then have to complain to justify their belief in non-wing being better. Different strokes for different folks, guys. Be happy the Outlaws make a ton of money for the tracks to help them stay open and make improvements. The engines will be screaming at the Action Track tonight and to me that is like going to hear the Symphony Orchestra. Wnter is near so take what you can get.
7 Likes: Dirtfan, flagboy55, illinifan, mcweld, PIT CART, rclaridge, SWScaleChassis
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #38 9/17/14 1:33 PM
I have long, going gray hair, earrings and am in my forties. Can I include myself in the young crowd still... Please!!?

I thought the racing was pretty good last night. I'd joked earlier in the day of the decreased chance of wheel stands. Chris Bell quickly proved that wrong. I think the speed they carry and how even they are is what seemingly decreases the side by side action. Still, I can shift my appreciation to how they run nose to tail at those speeds & find enjoyment.

Where I have to check my emotions at the $40 entry gate is when the announcer goes into his hyperventilation of "Yooou wanted the best... ". My reaction every time is to question if he's ever been to Smackdown, or any of the Sprint Week races. Promotion and excitement is an absolute necessity but for me, if unchecked, it teters on hyperbole.

Don't let all that take away that overall, I did enjoy the evening.
5 Likes: captrat, Charles Nungester, FALCONEDDIE, sc17x, speed bump
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #39 9/17/14 2:57 PM
Some dude in South Carolina who wasn't there is trying to tell someone who was what they're suppose to think about it. Lol. Now that's going to new levels to defend winged racing. But, we're supposed to judge a show by you tube high lights, not what you actually sat through all evening at the track. I wasn't there either so I'm not going to stoop to that level. However, from the winged highlights I've watched from Knoxville this year, it seems like their racing is a little better now, as long as the track is completely glazed slick. Otherwise, it is terrible. Young fans probably don't know the difference but to an older fan it's pretty sad that good racing can only occur on hard slick tracks. My favorite race of the year so far was sprint week at putnamville. It had a little of everything. I'll be at THAT Thursday. Hopefully, some wing guys hang around to race since some non-wing guys are running with them.
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #40 9/17/14 3:13 PM
Mowerman, Wife and Dog put multi thousands of miles from California to Wayenesfield OH and attend dozens of races a year, He's not allowed to say the racing's not as good?

Especially from someone at home?

Sounds Legit.

I went to five Winged shows last year, Three of them that Napcar race last week when the same car led all 300 laps was more exciting. Imagine my surprise when at the Sprintacular the 360winged was pretty good and the All Stars, Even though the pole sitter won, Was a battle of four cars for the lead at different times.

Even this years ONE Winged race I seen, I said before halfway, When the track goes black, Shatz is gone and nobody will touch him. Exactly what happened.

Charles Nungester
3 Likes: jim goerge, luckybuc97, speed bump