IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Driving a hauler
1/11/21, 5:36 AM   #1
Driving a hauler
1021gpa

I was running from columbus to crawfordsville friday and passed Kkm hauler going up 65 heading to tulsa my question is do you have to have class a cdl to drive one? I know I use to see alot of haulers advertised for sale said the were registered as a rv and didn't need a cdl is that still the case? Just curious I have my class b cdl and didn't know how it was anymore

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/11/21, 8:54 AM   #2
Re: Driving a hauler
rachasin

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 42

Over 26,000 # and with Air brakes needs CDL Some states can be very pricky about it

1/11/21, 11:31 AM   #3
Jonr

When you see teams post that they are looking for full time crew members, most of the time a CDL license is a requirement for the position.

3 members like this post: jdull99, jim goerge, tirespinner
1/11/21, 4:20 PM   #4
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

A f350 or chevy, dodge 3500 is registered as a commercial vehicle with at least 10,000 GVWR. If you put a shovel in it to go make money (it is about making money) it has to have a DOT number. If any of these trucks pull a triple axle trailer with 8 lug tires (7000 lb) axles they are now a 31000 GVWR and have to have class B license. Class B starts at 26000 lbs. If it has air brakes you have to have at least a "B" license with an air brake indorsement. I think it is at 40000 that the "A" license is required. These toters can be equipped any way you want, but the DOT asks what are you doing with it. If you are making money than it is now a commercial vehicle. A taxi cab is a commercial vehicle and has to be registered as such.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, jdull99, tirespinner
1/13/21, 6:23 AM   #5
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
A f350 or chevy, dodge 3500 is registered as a commercial vehicle with at least 10,000 GVWR. If you put a shovel in it to go make money (it is about making money) it has to have a DOT number. If any of these trucks pull a triple axle trailer with 8 lug tires (7000 lb) axles they are now a 31000 GVWR and have to have class B license. Class B starts at 26000 lbs. If it has air brakes you have to have at least a "B" license with an air brake indorsement. I think it is at 40000 that the "A" license is required. These toters can be equipped any way you want, but the DOT asks what are you doing with it. If you are making money than it is now a commercial vehicle. A taxi cab is a commercial vehicle and has to be registered as such.
A F350 or 3500 truck isn’t registered as a commercial vehicle. By your logic if I take my Chevy 2500 HD and hook it onto a trailer I’m a commercial vehicle. If you are operating a comm. vehicle that is under 26,000 pounds you have to have a class B cdl. Anything 26,001 pounds and over requires a class A cdl.

3 members like this post: 1021gpa, EBookerFan, tirespinner
1/14/21, 7:52 PM   #6
Lic. Class 4 Driving a Hauler??
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachasin View Post
Over 26,000 # and with Air brakes needs CDL Some states can be very pricky about it
....4 sure...But why not just get your Class A...n be done with it!!...
Last edited by AustinSprinter; 1/14/21 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added info...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Driving a hauler