IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
goforit14 (Offline)
  #1 7/16/14 9:53 AM
Just interested in some of the experienced racers opinion. How much wear is acceptable before a RR tire becomes unusable? I know to many this comes down to $, some higher dollar teams put new tires on before a feature, but I am not that team. But I can put on new tire when needed and just wanting to get thoughts. Is it good to re-groove for extending life or turn them around? Looking at tire, how can u tell when time to replace? I run Lightening Sprint with SP2 Hoosier.
leaglen (Offline)
  #2 7/16/14 2:54 PM
I have turned them around for years without any problems. When the edges get rounded on both sides you will probably have to sharpen them up with a tire groover. Just be careful how deep you go. I have ran a tire with little tread on a hard track. It's not going to dig into the dirt anyway. However if money was no object I would run new ones all the time. I don't know if it is the lack of flexibility, or too many heat cycles making the rubber harder, but new ones will always work better. I have ran them pretty low on tread, but it was the end of the year and I was broke. LOL.
2 Likes: 1021gpa, Drew Tarr
fasster23 (Offline)
  #3 7/16/14 11:45 PM
Heat cycles are more important than tread depth. Be careful when grinding. Get a 30-40 grit DA pad to grind them with. The rock grinders are so aggressive they can cause more harm than good if not careful. Plus they're dangerous as hell.
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #4 7/17/14 9:32 AM
Saw a tire that was pretty bald, & I asked the guys if they were gonna change it. They told me yes & that they got 13 races outta that tire. Won a race last year w/ it too, they were a lot of fun those guys