IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > QUESTION. Indiana Pro Sprints -vs- RaceSaver 305 Sprints.
4/15/18, 7:08 PM   #1
QUESTION. Indiana Pro Sprints -vs- RaceSaver 305 Sprints.
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

QUESTION
Indiana Pro Sprints (Crate 602 engine) -vs- RaceSaver 305 Sprints.
After looking at the Schedule for these 2 divisions and see they have a few combine shows 3 at Shadyhill & 1 at Kokomo that pay $1,000 to win & $150 to start.
How comparable are these cars in speed and racing?
I've seen the Pro Sprints at Plymouth enough to know they can race pretty good with enough of them.
To bad the Pro Sprints haven't taken off in the northern Indiana like the 305 Sprints did around the Bloomington area and southern part of the state.
I seen they had a full field of 305 at Bloomington this past Friday.
Would love to see the Crate 602 division get more cars up north.
Not sure if part of it was the payout at Plymouth or not.
The Indiana Pro Sprints weekly payout if I'm not mistaking was $500 or so to win last year and around $100 to start (Can't remember exact payout).
The RaceSaver 305 Sprints regular payout is $600 to win & $150 to start.
With the 2 divisions having 4 combine races.
How will the racing be between the 2 divisions?
Will any of the 305 guys travel to the 4 races in the northern part of the state?
Sure would like to see either of them catch on at other tracks around the state.
Indiana Pro Sprints FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...89463234767959
RaceSaver 305 Sprints FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/Indianarace...76218195763769
Last edited by nathans1012; 4/15/18 at 7:22 PM.

4/15/18, 8:51 PM   #2
Nate

I don’t think the “Pro Sprints” have ever taken off because I honestly can’t name another track in the country that even runs that car. From my understanding, DIRTcar started the series and Plymouth signed up to be the guinea pig but the series has just never expanded and interest seems limited at best from what I’ve seen.

3 members like this post: nathans1012, Racer12, spicoli
4/16/18, 1:11 AM   #3
KingRandomUser

It's always tough starting a new series, especially a wing series in a non-wing favored state. The Pro-sprints are experiencing what the Racesavers did a few years back.

Season 1 (2015), there were about 12 to 14 cars that would show up on average. Season 2, around 16 to 18, Season 3 saw 18 to 26 and This year 23 at the first event. But why the growth in those years? Support, promotion, hard work by the series itself, and steady expansion to other tracks in the area over the past couple of years. This year marks the first year the Racesavers aren't exactly a weekly series at just Bloomington [still kinda are] and have over half their schedule at other tracks. Getting to run new venues expands exposure and interest as the series continues to grow into a hopeful regional series of sorts. [Probably comparable to MSCS] A risk yes, but one they slowly took by not expanding out too fast. It also helps that they also actually run more as a support series in most of their events. Even when they first started out they were always the undercard to the nw-410's. As they grew, they were able to headline at a few non-sprint regular tracks or a few of their own events. Drivers too have commented on being excited running some new tracks too.

Growth takes time, and fans and teams have to support the series as well. Keep in mind too Plymouth wasn't a weekly Sprint Car track like Bloomington or other Indiana tracks are.

I am curious how the co-sanction shows will go and if there is any true differences between the performance of the cars. But still should be a fun time nonetheless. All in all though the Pro-sprints need a bit more time and hopefully promotion by the series itself to include the true cost of building and running a car vs. Other types. Maybe too if an area track can pick up a couple of non-conflicting events it could help gain interest as well. And finally, fans need to embrace the series. Which took the Racesavers some time to do around here as well.

2 members like this post: fish, nathans1012
4/16/18, 5:13 PM   #4
Re: QUESTION. Indiana Pro Sprints -vs- RaceSaver 305 Sprints
sjracer26

Race Count Last Year: 18

I own and race a Racesaver. I intend on racing at all 4 events up North at Shadyhill and Kokomo. The only race that is in question for me at this point is the Friday night show at Shadyhill as it is hard to get out of work early enough to drive that far.

Regarding performance between the two I cannot comment with solid facts but what I have heard is that the Racesavers have a significant horsepower advantage over the Crate 602. I know we push anywhere from 450-500 hp with the Racesaver engine package depending on the dyno used. And from what I hear the 602's are not in that range at all.

The power difference however may not be a major concern. We all know how dry and nasty some of the tracks tend to get around here in the summer. I don't know where the power curve kicks in for the 602 but I know when it is slick the Racesavers can buzz the tires easily and finding traction is difficult. So with the right track conditions it could be a very competitive race.

Overall in the state I think there are 30ish total Racesavers (+/-2). I know 5 cars that were not at Bloomington Friday night, including myself. So at least 28. Then add in the Ohio series with probably 20+ cars and you start to see that in this region the series as a whole is growing very well compared to the 602's. I think the country wide popularity, as mentioned by Nate, is a significant factor in the growth of the Racesavers. I know they have had nearly 130 cars for the last two years at the Racesaver Nationals at Eagle Raceway in Nebraska. And this year they are the headliner for a big payout race in Belleville that is filling the midget nationals spot now that it is gone.

I hope success for everyone, but I would not mind seeing the Pro-Sprints switch over to the Racesaver package at some point in the future. One unified "budget" winged sprint car class would be better overall for the car counts and it would keep things simple for fans to follow.

-Alfred #19

3 members like this post: motorhead748, nathans1012, Racer12
4/16/18, 8:11 PM   #5
Bill May

One of the 23 cars at Bloomington Fri. nite was an Ohio car, the Ohio series is also, experiencing growth problems, 5-6 drivers have left their series since last season for various reasons, causing a negative affect on car count, I suspect they will field 10 to 12 (perhaps a couple more) Ohio cars this season, they will need cars from other series to attract additional track promoters for future scheduling, per the Ohio Thunder facebook & the Atomic Speedway schedule the 10 305 races at Atomic are "open" not Racesaver rules, this should increase the car count and, hopefully,encourage growth.

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
4/17/18, 3:11 AM   #6
KingRandomUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer26 View Post

I hope success for everyone, but I would not mind seeing the Pro-Sprints switch over to the Racesaver package at some point in the future. One unified "budget" winged sprint car class would be better overall for the car counts and it would keep things simple for fans to follow.

-Alfred #19
I agree with a switch. Plymouth runs mostly Saturday evenings, so honestly it could be a great thing to see a schedule that's heavy at Bloomington and Plymouth on Friday and Saturday nights with some off weeks and mixing in at other tracks like Shady Hill, Haubstadt, etc. Plus it'd just be easier to maintain a single budget series over two in the state. Could easily push nearly 40 cars ready to run if not more.

2 members like this post: nathans1012, sjracer26
8/7/18, 6:16 PM   #7
jknox15

Looking at getting into a 305. I live in Louisville and see they race most frequently at bloomington and a couple at twin cities. My question is what sanctioning body oversees these races and where can I get a copy of their rulebook etc... thanks for any information.

8/7/18, 9:51 PM   #8
badcoupe

I didn’t realize they paid that badly, tq midgets and I believe even the Montpelier midgets pay better than that. That might be a place to start as far as car counts

8/7/18, 10:19 PM   #9
grader47

The Belleville 305 Sprint Nationals was a huge success cars from 15 states on social media people and drivers can’t wait til next year

8/7/18, 11:54 PM   #10
Chase Hightower

I’m not wealthy by any means! But, if you have the time to take off and can go race, I’ll cover 4 hrs. wages for you. If work will let u take off? Call me, as I can’t be there and I’ll get u the money you’d lose at work to let you race. Just a happy answer from me. 765-524-3591

4 members like this post: bigq11, Points, sjracer26, wallbanger II
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > QUESTION. Indiana Pro Sprints -vs- RaceSaver 305 Sprints.