IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where is the history of our sport!!!!
7/5/14, 1:58 PM   #11
Re: Where is the history of our sport!!!!
DAD

Bill

Right now you are a big part of this history for sprint fans around Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. IOW and a good search engine or even site search comes back with a wealth of knowledge. My question is, how do we keep all this information contained in the IOW in the public domain.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/5/14 at 2:51 PM.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
7/5/14, 2:15 PM   #12
DAD

Roy Robbins actually won the First Knoxville Nationals and damn near won the second if not for a lat race accident.[/quote]

Roy was an outlaw before the outlaws ran sprint cars. He raced the money races. He could never afford a sprint car and was way under the radar of the USAC owners, but he could flat out>> man handle a big heavy old "Modified" as they were called back in the day without power steering. There was a story told about him where he ran off the track I think at Louisville when something got under his throttle in the Cotton Priddy 500 lap memorial race. Right smack into a concrete wall located at the back of the pit exit. That was before 5 point safety belts, they was still using army surplus seat belts from WWII. When he hit the wall he had such a grip on that big old Steel 4 spoke 20" steering wheel that he folded the big old thing around the steering column.

Who the heck was "Cotton Priddy"??

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sport...84566408237343

See the 83 car>>>that is the reason 40 Fords are so hard to find!

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/5/14 at 2:54 PM.

7/5/14, 2:56 PM   #13
Gregg

I know Aaron Fry was into researching tracks of the past in the Ohio area, New Breman, Tri-County, Dayton ect... before he started BOSS. Not sure how much spare he has right now.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
7/5/14, 3:21 PM   #14
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

William Grove Speedway does a very nice job with keeping track of their history.

http://www.williamsgrove.com/winners.htm

They have winner list for just about every division that has race on the track.

How many tracks keep stats like these:

Raced in Both the Indianapolis 500 and at Williams Grove Speedway

Indy Winners: (Indy wins in parentheses)

-George Robson ('46)
-Bill Holland ('49)
-Johnnie Parsons ('50)
-Lee Wallard ('51)
-Troy Ruttman ('52)
-Bill Vukovich ('53, '54)
-Bob Sweikert ('55)
-Pat Flaherty ('56)
-Sam Hanks ('57)
-Jimmy Bryan ('58)
-Roger Ward ('59, '62)
-AJ Foyt ('61, '64, '67, '77)
-Parnelli Jones ('63)
-Mario Andretti ('69)
-Gordon Johncock ('73, '82)
-Johnny Rutherford ('74, '76, '80)

Tracks like Hagerstown, Lincoln and Port Royal all keep track of winners and track records on their web site.
Last edited by davidm; 7/5/14 at 3:23 PM.

7/5/14, 6:14 PM   #15
Pat O'Connor Fan

There is a website containing much history of "Little Springfield"

http://springfieldsspeedway.webs.com/

Sadly, that wonderful bullring "is history" and I miss going there on Sunday nights.

7/5/14, 6:29 PM   #16
Vukie

I use http://archive.org/web/web.php

Right now I'm looking at the Lawrenceburg Speedway from 2002. Results and former track champions are listed.

7/6/14, 7:28 AM   #17
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Bill

Right now you are a big part of this history for sprint fans around Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. IOW and a good search engine or even site search comes back with a wealth of knowledge. My question is, how do we keep all this information contained in the IOW in the public domain.

Honest Dad himself
IOW can be a valuable tool sometimes but I'm a nobody. I don't post all the information, it comes from the thousands of people who visit and share information. I just had a skill set that allowed me to build a website for a small group of friends and was in the right place at the right time to fill a void in a racing community.

I've had discussions with someone, who prefers to stay nameless right now, about taking IOW into the future. I admire and have tremendous respect for this person and I'm confident that IOW will not only continue, but become a much better site. Who knows, maybe one day we'll see an IOWSS.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
7/6/14, 4:30 PM   #18
racer5c

I wish some one could have bought Jungle Park and replicated the Eastern Museum Of Motor racing, Don Smith could have housed his whole collection there, the 1/4 mile could have been made into an exhibition track without much expense at all. All it takes is money lol
Last edited by racer5c; 7/6/14 at 4:31 PM.

7/6/14, 5:21 PM   #19
hoosier race fan

Brian McEvoy has done an outstanding job of putting together some very good historical information about Montpelier. I know it isn't a track with a lot of history in racing sprints and other open wheel classes, but it has a long history of racing in several different forms.

http://www.montpeliermotorspeedway.com/history.html
http://www.montpeliermotorspeedway.c...clesphotos.htm

As a history teacher and lifelong race fan, I appreciate the tracks that celebrate their history and want to share it with the fans of today and the future. It's a shame that so few seem to do that with the forms of media available now.

7/6/14, 7:08 PM   #20
racenut69

Dave Argabright and Robin Miller:can they help?..Just my .02..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where is the history of our sport!!!!