IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #51 8/20/12 8:14 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
How many were there for Stewart and Pastrana only? I stand corrected. How many cars showed up, and was it successful enough to have them back? Not being critical, hoping I am wrong.
Brent,

Not being a smart a$$, but they won't be going back period. USA International closed and I believe that it is now a logistics hub for the trucking industry.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #52 8/20/12 9:24 PM
I made the trek to Stafford Springs when Bobby Santos made 50K. The place was 7/8 full on a weeknight, and as for Stafford, you can't get there from ANYWHERE. Great show also. Give the people a good product and they'll come.
2 Likes: IndyBound, SC90
500BOMBER (Offline)
  #53 8/20/12 9:57 PM
It's obvious that some of you on here only race a keyboard. We at 500 motorsports don't seem to be having a problem with new "The sky is falling, doomsday fuel"
I ran the entire Springfield race without a pit stop what so ever, and never saw the Temp guage get over 195* while at speed. Caution laps the temp. was never over 215*. We can live just fine with those numbers.
Granted, I didn't have the fastest car on the track, but thats other things that we will work on.
We will be at DuQuoin and hope more teams show up.
Not working with the E90 is a lameass excuse. Like I've said before, go to Willy's Carb and arrange a dyno session with Tim Engler. It's easy and don't cost that much. They have the "R&D" figured out.
Steve Adams, Driver, 500 Motorsports
3 Likes: koolaid89, Steve Wendel, tim brown
okie (Offline)
  #54 8/20/12 10:54 PM
Steve enjoyed watching your run Sunday
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #55 8/21/12 6:38 AM
Originally Posted by racephoto1:
I made the trek to Stafford Springs when Bobby Santos made 50K. The place was 7/8 full on a weeknight, and as for Stafford, you can't get there from ANYWHERE. Great show also. Give the people a good product and they'll come.
How many cars did they have.
Vukie (Offline)
  #56 8/21/12 8:23 AM
Originally Posted by Max Revs:
Last PRA race at Lakeland, FL, in December 2006 had Tony Stewart and Travis Pastrana in the field, and the stands were packed. I respectfully disagree with the "no one showed up" portion of your statement.
Wasn't that race during the PRI show?
mr nobody (Offline)
  #57 8/23/12 7:49 PM
Originally Posted by jdull99:
From my "studies" back in the day, I am sure I noticed 18 car fields when things were SO great??? How many can anyone watch at one time anyway??? Too many classes of races and things to do these days. Hopefully those that can attend will enjoy! I am goin to put an effort into checking out Springfield when I can!

Jason Dull
815 494 6002
jdull99@hotmail.com
jasondull.com (For all the Racing News)
Jason,

Back in the day, they only started 18 cars but had 30+ cars in the pits. Go watch the 1982 Tony Bettenhausen 100 on Youtube and see the number of cars they had in the pits. Also, someone did a Flashback to the 1996 Tony Bettenhausen 100 here on AOW and there were enough cars for a Consi and nearly half the cars there went home without even starting the 100 miler.
jdull99 (Offline)
  #58 8/24/12 2:23 AM
Same amount of cars in main event tho...I never knew how much people cared about semi features until the last couple years...b4 that it seemed u had to run in the top ten of the feats to get any respect...
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #59 8/24/12 2:44 AM
You wouldn't know what prelims are like Jason cause you don't show up till feature time from what I hear!LOL. The point is, the real fans who attend these races are pissed because USAC has made 2 major rule change mistakes that have led to a great reduction in the show. And by the way, when they only started 18 as anyone can see in a Dick Wallen video, they didn't have roll cages or enclosed cockpits and they ran on the cushion for 100 miles most of the time! I'm sorry but it was much neater back then so maybe 18 was fine.
SC90 (Offline)
  #60 8/24/12 4:29 AM
Here's a bit of trivia for you. Just 10 short years ago, on August 17, 2002, the Bettenhausen 100 at Springfield had 17 cars in the Consi all trying to make the cut for the feature which was limited to 30 starters. So the Consi in 2002 was only one or two cars less than the whole field in 2012. Back then, the Consi's were a Who's Who of great drivers.

Just out of curiosity, I went through the entire results in 2002 to see the number of cars in the pits. Here is a sampling of some of the races held in 2002.

March 15-17, 2002, Phoenix International Raceway
Feature: 30 Cars Started
Consi: 24 cars in the Consi
A few names of drivers who didn't qualify for the feature: Brian Tyler, Jack Hewitt, Jimmy Kite, James Chesson, Cory Kruseman, Bentley Warren, Travis Rilat, Dan Drinan, etc.

Hoosier Hundred, May 24, 2002
Feature: 36 cars started

Pike's Peak, June 15-16, 2002
Feature: 30 cars started
Consi: 16 cars

DuQuoin, September 2, 2002
Feature: 30 cars started
Consi: 19 cars in the consi won by Brian Tyler

IRP, August 1, 2002
Feature: 31 cars started

Two Consi's: Consi #1 had 14 cars (Kasey Kahne won Consi #1 in the Zarounian #67) and Consi #2 had 13 cars (Tony Stewart won Consi #2 in the Foxco #56)

Consi #1: 1) Kasey Kahne, 2) Rich Tobias, 3) Tyler Walker, 4) Teddy Beach, 5) Coons, 6) Jeff Mitrisin, 7) Dane Carter, 8) Nick Lundgreen 9) Brad Armstrong 10) Tom Capie 11) Gary Penission, Jr 12) John Starks 13) Sammy Swindell 14) Eric Butze

Consi #2: 1) Tony Stewart 2) Jason McCord 3) Jay Drake 4) Gough 5) Jimmy Kite 6) Tony Elliott 7) Bentley Warren 8) Jason Fuller 9) Eric Gordon 10) Jimmy McCune 11) Johnny Parsons 12) David Bridges 13) Dan Drinan

These are the Consi's, folks! Not the feature. My own car started 20th and finished 8th in the feature which was won by Mike Bliss in the IWX #111. Does anyone remember the IWX #111 that night? That car was like it was on rails at IRP. Carl Edwards finished 6th in the feature in the Don Ott #95.