IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
koolaid89 (Offline)
  #11 5/15/12 2:15 PM
Originally Posted by Honest-Sam:
Question for ISP1700 - How many nozzles?
How many ya usually use?
2 Likes: fish
flatout (Offline)
  #12 5/15/12 3:17 PM
If you just change your nozzels, you are going to burn up your motor.
koolaid89 (Offline)
  #13 5/15/12 6:07 PM
Originally Posted by flatout:
If you just change your nozzels, you are going to burn up your motor.
I'd like to site post #35 by Mr. Swanson, who has been kind enough to share his teams testing experiences with the public. Unless you have more current information than that keep your opinion to yourself when everyone else is discussing facts, and trying to preserve a legacy.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...t=Silver+Crown

"Hey- sorry it took me this long to get back to you. But before I posted anything, I wanted to make sure to check with the car owner & engine builder (Darryl & Jeff), to make sure the information that I had was correct and approved by them to post.

Last year, we did an engine test on Brian Tyler's #21 car at Raceway Park with the Ignite fuel, using our standard race engine with the only updates for ethanol being nozzles and fuel system settings. We did not have access to a data acquisition system then, so we couldn't confidently post data-type results.

In the test that we just ran in Pensacola, we used one of our Silver Crown engines from last year. Folks from Ignite will tell you that the recommended compression ratio for their fuel is 14:1. Leading up to this test, a standard rebuild was done on this engine, and we used the same pistons from last season. After the rebuild, this engine did spend some time on an engine dyno (as most of them do), to tune some of the fuel settings before our test. This was done to help ensure that we were in the ballpark on fuel and could get accurate information while we ran the motor on the track.

-Kody"
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #14 5/15/12 6:19 PM
As for track conditions, tires weren't steam rollers as they are today. Also you could use calcium chloride that you can't use today. Also with the concerts and horse races before mile events, it limits the amount of time Bob Sargeant has to work with the track.

Just remember this, if it wasn't for Bob Sargeant , there would b no more dirt mile races.

Also, it's easy to hide behind a keyboard, who are you isp1700 ?

Chrs Pedersen
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan, racefan20, randy j, speed bump, SprintManDave
flatout (Offline)
  #15 5/15/12 8:35 PM
Originally Posted by koolaid89:
I'd like to site post #35 by Mr. Swanson, who has been kind enough to share his teams testing experiences with the public. Unless you have more current information than that keep your opinion to yourself when everyone else is discussing facts, and trying to preserve a legacy.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...t=Silver+Crown

"Hey- sorry it took me this long to get back to you. But before I posted anything, I wanted to make sure to check with the car owner & engine builder (Darryl & Jeff), to make sure the information that I had was correct and approved by them to post.

Last year, we did an engine test on Brian Tyler's #21 car at Raceway Park with the Ignite fuel, using our standard race engine with the only updates for ethanol being nozzles and fuel system settings. We did not have access to a data acquisition system then, so we couldn't confidently post data-type results.

In the test that we just ran in Pensacola, we used one of our Silver Crown engines from last year. Folks from Ignite will tell you that the recommended compression ratio for their fuel is 14:1. Leading up to this test, a standard rebuild was done on this engine, and we used the same pistons from last season. After the rebuild, this engine did spend some time on an engine dyno (as most of them do), to tune some of the fuel settings before our test. This was done to help ensure that we were in the ballpark on fuel and could get accurate information while we ran the motor on the track.

-Kody"
You missed the point. The point made was that all you have to do is change the nozzels and you are good to go. This move is costing owners more money. Read your post closer. Dyno time is not that cheap. This is adding additional cost in needing additional time on the dyno, changing fuel systems, needing additional cooling due to higher exhaust temps and losing the cooling aspect of methonal. Nothing is as simple as just changing the nozzels.

For the well funded teams or teams with access to dyno time this isn't as big of an issue. For teams who might come out only for the pavement or dirt shows this is a bigger issue and an extra expense that has to considered when deciding if they will continue to run the series or not.

How is changing to ethonal "preserving" a legacy? Is it doing anything to put tails in the stands? I have grown to really like the silvercrown crown cars and would like to see them around a lot longer. Something has to be done to attract new fans to the folds and encourage teams to continue racing them. Look in the stands, the crowds aren't getting any younger.
2 Likes: Pat O'Connor Fan, SC90
old timer (Offline)
  #16 5/15/12 10:49 PM
Thanks for the information I was worried but I have just changed the nozzles. Starts don't sound real good but it will clean out,water temp 230 but it will cool at speed. see you in the pits about lap 10
2 Likes: 9racing, Rex W.
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #17 5/15/12 11:59 PM
I just wish USAC would've given everyone a year to get sorted out.
3 Likes: Mud Packer, SC90, wing410fan
jeast (Offline)
  #18 5/16/12 11:21 AM
Very well written and very well said... but why no name? who are you?
500BOMBER (Offline)
  #19 5/16/12 7:12 PM
Easy steps to E-90.
1- Talk to Tim Engler of Engler Injection and Everret Bradham of Willy's Carb. Set up a dyno session.
2- Take car to get dynoed. Let Tim or Roger calibrate the system. Let Everret pull the trigger.
3- Pay reasonable fee to get the job done right by professionals.
4- Enjoy a Badassed fast racrcar that doesn't over heat.

We did. We're ready for Indy...............are you?
"Bomber"
2 Likes: bandres21, K-Dawg30
ThrowbackRacingTeam (Offline)
  #20 5/17/12 1:40 AM
Actually I've been told by one of Sargent's track crew that they do use calcium chloride at Springfield. I also saw him use it in granulated form at Terre Haute this year. I've also seen Sargent and crew rid the track of a cushion even when mother nature prepares it for him just like last year at Indy and a few years ago at Springfield. I just can't understand why he continues this method while attendance continues to drop. Why not try something different and get some excitement back. The mile races are really good when there are two grooves and really not so good when it's just the one lane parade around the inside guard rail. All that being said, I do thank and appreciate him for risking his money to have these races for us.

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: koolaid89, Pat O'Connor Fan