IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Help me understand
8/4/15, 11:17 AM   #11
Re: Help me understand
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

You also have to look at the car sponsor. His customer base my be local to one track area and putting the car on a track a couple hours away might reduce his return on investment.

6 members like this post: DirtHawk92, fish, jim goerge, KENDALLRACING, SPRINTCAR, Will Shunk
8/4/15, 1:32 PM   #12
Morin Racing 98

Race Count Last Year: 27

The time difference is a big deal to the teams from the north, and another thing about Tri-State, it is harder on motors than almost anywhere else we race. I have heard of drivers being at 260-280 degrees after a feature down there on a regular basis. Not sure if it is the track being re-prepped before every feature or what it is, but I know we ran at 240 degrees last time there and normally are around 200 as much as possible. That place is normally flat out with the concrete walls real close, so I am sure a lot of guys consider those factors also. The racing is extremely tight in the corners.....It is a great facility, great track, and has great fan support. But when you bust a motor, or hit the concrete, none of that matters to the guy paying the repair bills....LOL

8/4/15, 1:34 PM   #13
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 14

$5000 to win and $225 to start and you have to ponder why they got fewer cars? Two cars get half the purse. We skip those too.

3 members like this post: Can26, speed bump, spicoli
8/4/15, 3:04 PM   #14
chastaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by trecraft View Post
$5000 to win and $225 to start and you have to ponder why they got fewer cars? Two cars get half the purse. We skip those too.
Amen

8/4/15, 3:46 PM   #15
openwheelfan1

Thanks to all of you that have taken the time to reply to my question. You have helped me understand and see things from a different perspective. I for one had never considered the sponsorship/customer base thought, nor had I taken in to account the impact of the time change. Interesting thoughts all.

4 members like this post: fish, KENDALLRACING, speed bump, Tony74
8/4/15, 5:08 PM   #16
fish

Quote:
That's all part of why it's so hard to pin down. Different people have different reasons on which races they attend.
Last edited by fish; 8/4/15 at 5:26 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/4/15, 6:01 PM   #17
jim goerge

Quote:
So if TSS went with say 3K to win and maybe 300 to start they would get more cars?

3 members like this post: fish, openwheelfan1, PIT CART
8/4/15, 7:32 PM   #18
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 14

If you allocate the $2000 you now have to work with throughout the purse, the $400 to start shouldn't hurt the car count.

1 member likes this post: Can26
8/4/15, 9:32 PM   #19
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
So if TSS went with say 3K to win and maybe 300 to start they would get more cars?
You sir asked the very question I was wondering. But if TSS did offer such a purse and another track (say LPS) offered $4000/win and $200/start would LPS win out because they are so much closer to Indy?

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/4/15, 11:39 PM   #20
jim goerge

Quote:
If you allocate the $2000 you now have to work with throughout the purse, the $400 to start shouldn't hurt the car count.
Bud May I ask if you run with USAC? The 400 to start is lacking 100 from what USAC pays. MSCS is not USAC

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Help me understand