IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac GC-I-69
5/16/15, 1:22 AM   #21
Re: Usac GC-I-69
Jerry Shaw

It just goes to show you, never, ever give up on a racing program. Yesterday, it looked like Mother Nature would never even let this event happen. Tonight started with the track being so terribly sloppy wet that it couldn't even be hot lapped on, without a significant track rework and lengthy delay. Then the first heat wasn't real good. But then the last three were a harbinger of things to come, as they were action packed and thrilling. Come feature time, everything looked to be served up on a silver platter, as you had drivers like T-Mez, Jon Stanbrough, The Madman, Dave Darland, Stockon and Brady Bacon within the first three rows. Surely this thing would be great right off the bat, right? Ballou was the first aggressor, but after contact from Stanbrough, went over the berm in two and was shuffled back to 13th or 14th place and then everybody just pretty much settled in on the bottom and followed each other around for the longest time, with Meseraul leading the way. Then after a yellow Dave got underneath Thomas and grabbed the lead. We've all seen this before, game, set and match. It was a done deal, right? It looked like it, but then, as if some just flipped "The Top Is Now Open" switch, Leary started passing people like crazy. Robert Ballou was in full Madman Mode, both on the top and dive bombing people with sliders. But most significantly, Brady Bacon was a rocket on the top. It was obvious in a few laps Dave was going to have a serious problem. Then there was another yellow, with Darland in the lead, followed by Meseraul, then Bacon. Bacon took second and dove under Dave as he switched and went high to try to take Brady's momentum away. The as the laps wound down and they started getting into lapped traffic T-Mez came roaring back and passed Dave on the high side. And he was reeling the leader in. But would he run out of laps? He was right on his tail tank on the last lap and dove low as they came top the flag stand. It was close, but Brady just had too much momentum coming to the line. It didn't always look like it was going to be, but it ended up being one hell of a race!! And thanks to Dick Terrell for getting me a top row spot that I could stand and watch the race, I had a bird's eye view of this one. Thanks to the O'Connors for saving this place and giving everyone the opportunity to see such a great race. And the highlight for me was how Meseraul got passed by two champions like Darland and Bacon, regrouped, came charging back and actually outraced both through traffic. He almost snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. He's having such a good year, this year.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 5/16/15 at 2:11 AM.

5/16/15, 11:18 AM   #22
Nate

I've only missed a few races at Gas City since I got out of the Marines in 2011 and I have to say, last night was the best sprint car feature I've seen. I don't think many will disagree that in the past we've seen many races where only one line was working and a race becomes a "follow the leader" type affair. Last night was not one of those races.

The top was working, the bottom was working, we saw sliders. If you were there you got the full package. The show put on by the top 3 was something to be admired, especially in the closing laps. Even deep in the pack there was great racing. Two that really stood out were Kevin Thomas Jr and CJ Leary who started deep and raced their way up through the pack going from the bottom to the top, back to the bottom and then to the top again to weave their way through traffic to both get top 10s.

The only race that I can remember from recent memory that even comes close would have been 2012 ISW when Levi Jones and Bryan Clauson had quite a battle. The only thing that I left kind of disappointed with last night was the size of the crowd. As a racing community I think we still need to help support Gas City, the track has been great, drivers are showing up in force, but fans still need to come out to make this work. So PLEASE, if you haven't been to Gas City this season, come out, bring a friend, and tell them to ask friends if they'd like to come. I would really like to see the type of race I saw last night continue at Gas City.

Nate

5/16/15, 12:41 PM   #23
Scooter

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: 50+

I can't wait to make the trip for isw!!

4 members like this post: cwfan08, i love dirt track racing, PIT CART, racegal
5/16/15, 6:03 PM   #24
BrentTFunk

The only thing disappointing was the crowd. I think the weather hurt.

1 member likes this post: K9Racer
5/16/15, 7:19 PM   #25
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Just wish it was closer to Evansville!

1 member likes this post: DirtHawk92
5/16/15, 8:48 PM   #26
i love dirt track racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Just wish it was closer to Evansville!
Yes. But tss is not bad. Lol

3 members like this post: Dirtfan, mc/rider, ronmil
5/17/15, 4:00 AM   #27
DirtHawk92

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 8

Just curious what happened to KROB in the feature? Saw that a caution came out for him in some posts but never heard exactly y.... Thanx for the info!! Was not able to attend cuz of OT at work...

5/17/15, 10:06 AM   #28
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHawk92 View Post
Just curious what happened to KROB in the feature? Saw that a caution came out for him in some posts but never heard exactly y.... Thanx for the info!! Was not able to attend cuz of OT at work...
If I remember correctly he just got sideways and just couldn't keep it going before he stalled out.

5/17/15, 10:53 AM   #29
DirtHawk92

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 8

Thanx Nate.... Glad no damage.. Hope to c him run next weekend...

5/17/15, 11:23 AM   #30
LUCKYONE

I agree with ever one else it was like old times at gas city nice to see the place is back . the work done to the track made for great racing Thanks

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac GC-I-69