IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What track did you grow up going to?
6/25/13, 5:26 AM   #1
What track did you grow up going to?
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

We started to have a side convo in another thread about Butler Motor Speedway in Michigan. I grew up going to this track as a child. My parents took me to my first race before I was a month old. I remember bugging them every weekend when I was maybe 5 or younger to go. (mid 80s) I loved watching the mods back then and the winged sprint cars. I remember when they started their first pure stock class, they called them Detroit Irons back then. They were a blast to watch. I still try to make a trip back to the track that started this addiction for me whenever I can get a chance. Even though I know its going to be a very late night.

What is the track you grew up going to and what are some of your memories from it?

6/25/13, 5:40 AM   #2
Re: What track did you grow up going too?
sw1911

Belle Clair Speedway, 3 classes of cars pitted in the infield, standing starts 3 wide, the huge wreck in turn 1, Don Klein, welding on cars all night long, AARA racing 3 nights every week.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, illiNOISE, nathans1012
6/25/13, 5:51 AM   #3
cecil98

Mainly Lawrenceburg (IN) Speedway....my dad raced there every Saturday during the 50's and after he gave it up, we still went down and watched almost every week. Other tracks he raced at frequently during my early youth were: Hilltop (KY) Speedway, Carrollton (KY) Speedway, Paris (KY) Speedway, Eldora (1/4 mile back then), Glen Este Speedway & the Cincinnati Race Bowl

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, fish, mtek56, nathans1012
6/25/13, 5:51 AM   #4
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Broadway Speedway,Illiana Speedway,Rennsellear speedway

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, nathans1012
6/25/13, 6:03 AM   #5
scottfor410

Tri County Speedway in West Chester Ohio (Cincinnati) when it was dirt of course.

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, fish, jfry1, nathans1012
6/25/13, 6:04 AM   #6
team3521

Butler was the first time I saw sprint cars. Now, they're a huge part of my life. I went to Eldora next and have been a Steve Kinser fan ever since.
I really wish we had the passion for sprint cars here in Michigan that they do in Indiana...
A couple of the names I remember from 30 years ago are the Slades & Charlie Heath with that 6 cylinder that beat most of the 8 cylinders.

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, koolaid89, nathans1012
6/25/13, 6:16 AM   #7
speedracer40

New Paris speedway, new Paris Indiana lived about 10 miles away, used to get 200 cars a night and run until 3 or 4 am every Saturday. When we started racing up in Kalamazoo Michigan, we could go up there for the full program go to the shop unload and drive to new Paris and still catch 3 a mains plus all the b's c's and usually 2 d features. The hour time difference helped before Indiana started changing the clocks twice a year too.

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, nathans1012, short track scott, speed bump
6/25/13, 6:16 AM   #8
cmiracingvids

Sheboygan County Fairgrounds in Plymouth, Wisconsin. They still hold successful 4 class Saturday show. Including winged 360s and late models. To this day I still think they have the best "track food" of any track I've ever gone to. (and I've been to a lot). I remember going with my brothers and dad most every week. They ran winged modifieds, and my dad was involved with one of the cars in that division. We uses to go up to the track on our bikes super early and watch all the cars come into the pits. (back then, most cars were on open trailers)
The WoO and Hales Corners in West Allis, Wisconsin started my sprint car addiction.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/25/13, 6:21 AM   #9
tntbusco

Warsaw speedway. It was beautiful overlooking the lake. Sprints late models street stocks. It was great
Better get there early if you want a seat. Sure do miss it.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/25/13, 6:48 AM   #10
racing2bwithu2

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 63

A few different tracks I grew up around. In the mid 60's Terre Haute Action Track. Raceway Park, watched the twin USAC races, Indy Cars an Stock Cars. Winchester, Anderson, Lincoln Park Speedway, and of course Indy. Use to be a dirt track right off 74 by Danville, Illinois known as Cornells. Dad raced late models in the early 70's at Henry's Speedway (Boswell). Had a chance to race midgets for Bob Higman, but at the time Dad was raising us 4 kids on his own. He later raced hobby stocks back in early 80's at Vermilion County Speedway. Lots of good memories. Thank You Dad for getting me hooked

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What track did you grow up going to?