IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why don't Non Wing Drivers race Wing
4/29/23, 10:35 PM   #31
dsc1600

I think that was Stevie Smiths first time in a non-winged car.

1 member likes this post: dkdorkboy
4/29/23, 10:54 PM   #32
Re: Why don't Non Wing Drivers race Wing
hoscalecody

It's a lot different than just putting a wing on a car. Front Axle is shorter on a winged car, both run different birdcages, completely different setup and winged cars have thicker bottom rails, just to name a few items, the list goes on just a few big key factors. Also the engine is setup different for winged cars.
Also some drivers probably just don't care for winged racing. I started out winged racing, ran without the wing and never wanted to run a wing since. I have a few times since then, but in reality, I never really want to run a winged race again. I'd consider it if someone put me in a car, but still don't know if i'd want to.

3 members like this post: jdull99, spicoli, WinglessLovers
4/30/23, 12:24 AM   #33
revjimk

Well, I guess Bacon just showed 'em!
I saw him win a wing race several years ago at Pa. Speedweek, at Path valley, which is a small 1/4 mile. I figured he was gonna win that one cause he's a short track guy compared to most Pa. wingers....

4/30/23, 10:29 PM   #34
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Actually quite a few former non-wing guys are running wings now. Do your homework. The rest only have non-wing cars available. As for the Stevie Smith discussion, impressive but the track was also the most hard slick I’d ever seen it. The Lap times were really slow. When it’s like that Eldora isn’t that hard to drive. They were not running on the wall either. They were running through the middle of the track.

5/1/23, 12:04 PM   #35
Jonr

I think people need to be realistic with expectations. When the top wingless drivers recently decided to go full time winged racing, they all took their lumps. BC, SunShine, Windom all took more than there share of lumps to go winged racing. It was a lot of B mains and DNQ's for a while before they started to have consistent success. To think that converting from one to another discipline is easy is not correct.

5/1/23, 12:28 PM   #36
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sunshine took to it like a duck to water. I mean Kings Royal and two All Star championships within first three years.. Didn't he win Silver cup too?

1 member likes this post: opnwhlmnd
5/1/23, 12:39 PM   #37
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Actually quite a few former non-wing guys are running wings now. Do your homework. The rest only have non-wing cars available. As for the Stevie Smith discussion, impressive but the track was also the most hard slick I’d ever seen it. The Lap times were really slow. When it’s like that Eldora isn’t that hard to drive. They were not running on the wall either. They were running through the middle of the track.
They were running the wall in 1&2 and the middle in 3&4. Jac banged the wall coming off of 2 and broke the ladder with just a few laps to go, that’s why Stevie caught him at the end.

5/1/23, 12:39 PM   #38
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
They both stuck it where it was almost impossible. Dickie was running about ten feet off the wall and they put it between him and the wall, Dickie said to me, I wish someone was waving me to go higher. But that's where the car was working best. If I hadn't giv'em the room, They possibly would have never got by me.

He still had a grin as big as ever a half hour after the race. A hundred K for third!

Stevie and Steve Sr. Were the talk of the pits. Went over to their pit for a while and just listened. steve ran it wing style and then lowered the rear a bit. Both Him and Jac were on Goodyears. Anyway, Stevie said we usually run good here and I drove it the same, straight as possible. .
Stevie was on Goodyears and Jac was on Hoosiers.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
5/1/23, 1:36 PM   #39
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
Stevie was on Goodyears and Jac was on Hoosiers.
Thank you!

5/1/23, 2:26 PM   #40
Jonr

and years one and two???

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why don't Non Wing Drivers race Wing