IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes
10/31/16, 4:11 PM   #71
Re: USAC to mandate safety changes
Daddyz

I'm curious to see what USAC comes up with. My concern with making safety changes based on a single incident. There are many different things that can go wrong in a racecar.

Say, for instance a driver comes down hard on the track and suffers a spinal compression injury, similar to what happened to Kevin. Would a halo at that point hinder EMS from extracting the injured driver? I don't know the answer to that, but if halo's become mandated, I hope somebody has given that consideration.

It seems every choice we make is a compromise. I've never had my driver run arm restraints even thought they're mandated by most sanctioning bodies- it's a compromise. I'm as concerned with all the items he has to remove to get out of the car in a hurry in case of a fire (head and neck restraint, wheel, belts). One more thing to get tangled up. But his car has high side panels that should help keep his arms inside the car. Compromise.

It's true there's no safe racing. But we can learn and improve, we just need to take a level headed approach to mandating changes.

10/31/16, 7:11 PM   #72
Tim Clauson

I have hesitated responding to this thread as it has seems to be going in several directions but I just wanted to make a couple of comments. First I want to thank USAC for everything that they have done from literally the moment the accident happened to this very moment as they have gone over and beyond to make sure that our needs were and are being met. I have always admired Levi as a competitor, a racer and a Champion. But on August 6th 2016 I got to meet Levi Jones the man and the leader. I will never be able to explain what he did in the moments on the track as the reality of the situation began to set in but let me say this if not for him in that moment I am not sure where we would be as a family or I as a person today. Spridge Richie, and Kevin have since that moment done everything to insure our well being. Thank You !

I think it would be disingenuous of me to speak on behalf of what they did internally following the accident but I believe at least 2 different safety commissions looked into the accident and if I am not mistaken Dr. Trammel headed one of them. I believe that they looked at every aspect as best as they could to see what if anything could of helped. The direct conversations that I had with those involved had nothing to do with car construction but more to do with how to get information to the drivers quicker and ways to improve the response time. I believe that they looked at every aspect of this accident and my hope is that they found some things that will help lesson the chances of this happening again. It saddens me to see a organization get criticized for wanting to make an effort to improve safety and learn from a tragedy especially when I know how much it affected about every person in that office.

Thank You
Tim Clauson

10/31/16, 9:06 PM   #73
badcoupe

Well spoken Tim!

4 members like this post: davidm, fish, JDFAST, stp6237
11/2/16, 3:11 PM   #74
Racer1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby7j View Post
One rule should be manditory halos
Or just build taller frames? A good majority of the car/driver combos I see in the pits are really pushing the limits on head room.

1 member likes this post: Kellen Conover
11/2/16, 5:35 PM   #75
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer1039 View Post
Or just build taller frames? A good majority of the car/driver combos I see in the pits are really pushing the limits on head room.
Even with taller frames that doesn't get rid of a very big problem which is how open the top loop is but no matter what you do every action has a reaction.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 11/2/16 at 5:45 PM.

11/2/16, 8:52 PM   #76
cleatziff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvwildthg View Post
Have a trained safety squad ,such as Lawrenceburgs travel w Usac.....that crew is unmatched and nakes me feel safer for my driver rverytime they show up at the BOSS races....they know what it takes to get a driver to safety cause they train w sprintcars!!!
Seems like USAC did this a few years ago. I am not sure what happened to it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes