IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
TrevorMoody9 (Offline)
  #1 10/31/22 8:05 PM
I have been dreading this day for several years now. Larry “Buckwheat” Gates passed earlier this afternoon in Evansville. I was fortunate enough to grow up right down the road from Larry’s house in Evansville. Larry was one of a kind, and it was so interesting as a kid to go down the road to see what he was working on or restoring. He always did things 100% or not at all. It was Larry’s way or the highway, and he told you how he felt good, bad, or indifferent. As can be said for many racers of his generation, they just do not make them like him anymore.

I do not have any information on services yet, but I will post that information when I know. Stories could be told about this legend for days on end, so let’s hear a few of those stories below.
15 Likes: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, DRC II, flagboy55, Hubie48, Jerry Shaw, Ken Bonnema, LB, luckybuc97, LUCKYONE, rdzsprint, ronmil, Rpracing1, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #2 10/31/22 8:15 PM
Godspeed Larry.

Watched Buckwheat lay down some track record laps prob 15 years ago hotlapping a mini-sprint at Haubstadt, never lifting.
4 Likes: Hustlin-Hoosier, luckybuc97, openwheelfan1, tirespinner
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #3 10/31/22 9:00 PM
May he Race in Peace. He was a very special driver and a unique person. I watched him at Haubstadt and then in the USAC shows driving the King/Powers #51. I know he hasn’t been in good health for some time. Godspeed Buckwheat!
4 Likes: Dougherty20, groove grabber, Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
dalemo (Offline)
  #4 11/2/22 12:26 PM
It’s a cool deal deal when your hero growing up becomes a lifelong friend. So many life lessons, good times! Thanks for the memories! Race in peace my friend!
6 Likes: erich45, Ilovedirttrackracing, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, rdzsprint, tirespinner
TrevorMoody9 (Offline)
  #5 11/3/22 9:05 AM
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...6Zw9hiwydHUCbE
3 Likes: chrismattlin, Dougherty20, tirespinner
Kinser11 (Offline)
  #6 11/3/22 6:44 PM
Worked with him the early 80's. Lots of fun to be around. RIP