IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite track
8/28/11, 11:28 PM   #1
Favorite track
johnreuterracing

Just curious what everyone's favorite tracks are in the great state of Indiana. From what I hear, the racing is great at all tracks. I've only seen racing at Bloomington and Brownstown. Gotta say I love Bloomington!
Posted via Mobile Device

8/28/11, 11:58 PM   #2
Re: Favorite track
Danny Burton

(Cues up the old Steve Stills song: Love the One You're With")

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

6 members like this post: DWX 9929, jim goerge, Mud Packer, racegal, racephoto1, rclaridge
8/29/11, 12:24 AM   #3
reeserx

Kokomo speedway
Posted via Mobile Device

8/29/11, 12:27 AM   #4
racephoto1

I agree with the former postal worker.

8/29/11, 12:28 AM   #5
jim goerge

Haubstadt

2 members like this post: ekohl23, rdzsprint
8/29/11, 1:04 AM   #6
Flatrightrear

Sorry, but this topic has been covered many times and has been ran into the ground more than once.

4 members like this post: #1Brad Kuhn Fan, BrentTFunk, Mud Packer, racephoto1
8/29/11, 8:16 AM   #7
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnreuterracing View Post
Just curious what everyone's favorite tracks are in the great state of Indiana. From what I hear, the racing is great at all tracks. I've only seen racing at Bloomington and Brownstown. Gotta say I love Bloomington!
Posted via Mobile Device
John, I see you're a new member here. I welcome your new membership and along with that will advise you that most members on this board are pretty good people, they sometimes have an online personality that can be very unpleasant. Here lately, it seems a discussion about this topic is like talking ********. For some reason, folks feel like they cannot talk about there favorite race track without ridiculing someone elses favorite track. This type of attitude will lead to the death of IOW.

My favorite track is Lincoln Park Speedway. I grew up locally and I currently live 10 minutes from the place. LPS or Putnamville as it is often referred to is a 5/16th dirt oval and each Saturday night runs sprint cars, modifieds, super stocks, and bombers. I've always loved this place and I've witnessed some of the best races.

With that said... I've been fortunate to visit all of the tracks in Indiana. I've witnessed great racing at each one.

Lawrenceburg Speedway (also known as the Burg) is a 3/8th high banked oval. The track runs a weekly show of Sprints, Modifieds and Pure Stocks each Saturday night. It has the most modern facilities of any dirt track in Indiana. It is also home to a person I would call a true friend.... His name is Marv Fish(Fishburger). His love for Lawrenceburg Speedway equals that of mine for LPS. BTW... I visited the Burg during Indiana Sprint Week and Marv and I get along just fine. We don't have a throw down about who's track is better.

Tri-State Speedway or Haubstadt as it is often referred to, is one the best dirt tracks in the country. The owner, Tom Helfrich takes great care of the place and each summer the track always produces one of the better races.

Terre Haute Action Track has a history with a lot of members here.... they've seen some real legends race at this place. The track is 1/2 mile which is host to special events. No weekly racing.

I see you've been to Bloomington and Brownstown... My first thought when I think of Bloomington, is great track prep and you better be on time. If they say hotlaps are at 5:30... they truly mean 5:30. I love that. I spent almost every Friday night at Bloomington from 2000-2004 and witnessed some of the best sprint car racing in Indiana.

I haven't been to Kokomo, Gas City or Paragon in a long time... and not because the racing isn't great... I just have a few issues that limits my travel.

Kokomo was voted the Indiana Open Wheel track of the year 2 years running now. It is a track you must visit on a Sunday night. Word on the street is that you won't leave unhappy.

Gas City runs a weekly program each Friday Night just like Bloomington does. It always has a good car count and don't leave the place without watching a race stanidng against the fence in turn one. When you see it, you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Paragon runs a weekly porgram sprints, super stocks and pure stocks on Saturday night.

Obviously, we are very fortunate here in Indiana... we have several tracks that all run good racing programs and I don't think you can go wrong by visiting any of them.

8/29/11, 8:32 AM   #8
johnreuterracing

With so many options, it must be hard to make choices each weekend!
Posted via Mobile Device

8/29/11, 8:35 AM   #9
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Most people on here are just like outlaw racers... they go where the show goes.

3 members like this post: FishBurger, jim goerge, koolaid89
8/29/11, 8:52 AM   #10
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
(Cues up the old Steve Stills song: Love the One You're With")
I never heard of Steve Stills, but Yip Harburg said it best in Finian's Rainbow (to music by Burton Lane).

Oh my heart is beating wildly
And it's all because you're here.
When I'm not near the girl I love,
I love the girl I'm near.
Ev'ry femme that flutters by me
Is a flame that must be fanned.
When I can't fondle the hand I'm fond of,
I fondle the hand at hand.
My heart's in a pickle,
It's constantly fickle
And not too partickle, I fear.
When I'm not near the girl I love,
I love the girl I'm near.

But, I must admit holding a certain fondness for Terre Haute. Sprint cars belong on half mile tracks.

1 member likes this post: racegal
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Favorite track