IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Jiggs
10/24/23, 10:28 PM   #1
RIP Jiggs
bni69

It is with a heavy heart that I must report about 20 minutes ago, heaven received another race fan. Former Gas City I-69 Speedway promoter Jiggs Thomason passed away. When I receive word of his arrangements I will post them.

RIP Jiggs

Barb

Visitation and services for Jiggs will be Saturday. Further details can be found here: https://www.nswcares.com/obituaries/...elebrationWall
Last edited by bni69; 10/25/23 at 10:27 PM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Grocery Guy, mlamb, oppweld, TNRustler
10/24/23, 11:00 PM   #2
Re: RIP Jiggs
hoosier race fan

Very sad to hear that. Jiggs was always kind and generous to my family when we came to Gas City almost every Friday night when he was the promoter. He worked with one of my family members at GM in Marion for many years and we raced stock cars with him in the 80’s. Not only will he be missed by his family and friends, but also by so many in the racing community that remember great times with him at the track.

10/25/23, 12:04 AM   #3
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I never met the man but he promoted one of the greatest dirt ovals ever! God Speed!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Grocery Guy, PIT CART
10/25/23, 12:28 AM   #4
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Last edited by oppweld; 10/25/23 at 12:30 AM.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
10/25/23, 11:22 AM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sad news, RIP Jiggs, Prayers to family and friends.

Jiggs, Give a kick in the shorts to Dick Trammel up there and go watch some racin together.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Grocery Guy, PIT CART
10/25/23, 12:35 PM   #6
BrentTFunk

Very sad news. Jiggs was great guy. Always was a straight shooter. Was great to deal with as a fan, and equally good to deal with when I worked for him. The core group of crew back then were all great. RIP buddy.

10/25/23, 4:01 PM   #7
mlamb

I was involved with a fund raiser one night years ago at GC. He didn’t have to let us do this fundraiser but he graciously let us. Jiggs insisted that I get in for free, in fact he wanted to give me a free pit pass. I explained to Jiggs I understand he’s running a business and I was more than glad to pay my way in, no problem. Jiggs was not gonna have that. He insisted I get in free. He also supported the fundraiser financially.
I’d seen Jiggs many times before but had never spoke to him or met him.
I was completely impressed with how hospitable and personable he was. Just a great guy that will certainly be missed.
Last edited by mlamb; 10/25/23 at 9:41 PM.

10/25/23, 8:06 PM   #8
Vickster

So sorry to hear about Jiggs! He was one of the best promotors across the country. He was definitely a good people person.He loved the racers and ***** a great big smile when you rolled through the pit gates at Gas City. Prayers sent to Nona his beautiful wife and his family.
RIP JIGGS

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Grocery Guy, LUCKYONE, mlamb
10/26/23, 8:34 AM   #9
JakeCroxton

This was the first Indiana Sprint Week race I'd ever attended and I was shocked to know that I could buy a 50/50 ticket and roam the pits until the cars hit the track. He did so many little things that were fan-friendly. A true promoter that set a high standard. He will be missed...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Jiggs