IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
copper14 (Offline)
  #21 2/8/18 8:51 PM
what.at 17000 lbs on a sidewall you wouldn't have a tire left or a body.you must have too many zeros in your math.i have seen a pneumatic semi trailer made of aluminum,like bulk cement is hauled in,rip apart when the pop off valve failed.this was probably around 25 psi at the time.i have hauled propane in semi trailers under pressure,in a liquid state,and the relief valves are set at about 250psi. these trailers are made of 3/8 inch steel.i enjoy everyones input and we all need to work together so this doesn't happen to anyone else.
BURG FAN 88 (Offline)
  #22 2/8/18 10:20 PM
I worked on a Super Truck at Irwindale Speedway in 06 my job was tires oh boy did we stretch them some. If I remberr right it was 60psi and bake in the Cali sun for hours at 100 degrees. We had some strange shaped tires and lucky none ever let loose.
dirt40 (Offline)
  #23 2/9/18 9:13 AM
How do you safely mount a tire if the wheel is defective? I guess a cage is the only way.
3 Likes: jdull99, luckybuc97, Sawman
Sawman (Offline)
  #24 2/9/18 11:19 AM
Racers are especially hardheaded. I remember in 1976 my dad had a Rick Gowdy wheel blow up on him. It even busted a concrete block in the garage wall . this has been happening for many years no one seems to care, we only hear about it more because of the Internet, people have been getting hurt or dying for years mounting tires. It scares the crap out of me to bead some wheels. I use a locking Air chuck and stand the tire up and use the shut off valve on my air tank and I stand way back
Midget98 (Offline)
  #25 2/9/18 1:21 PM
Thinking back now to how many tires I mounted with me practically laying across them at times, I never once thought about the "what if" at the time. I have stretched tires with 40+ psi and could easily have been seriously injured or dead from the same sort of thing that has injured or killed these others. As infrequently as it happens though, I unfortunately don't see many racers changing how they do it. I hope that with more attention and exposure to the issue more people will take the problem seriously and take some extra precautions.
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #26 2/9/18 3:21 PM
https://speedsport.com/sprints-midge...ased-hospital/

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Can26 (Offline)
  #27 2/9/18 4:07 PM
For a few years now I have been using a regulator set at 12 psi and a clip on chuck. Clip on and walk away.
2 Likes: Sawman, sprinter31
rrc (Offline)
  #28 2/9/18 4:40 PM
I have never thought about this.....how about steel wheels? do they blow up too?
kendirt (Offline)
  #29 2/9/18 7:05 PM
Originally Posted by rrc:
I have never thought about this.....how about steel wheels? do they blow up too?
You need to realize it's not always the wheels that fail. A tire rupturing launches that wheel at your noggin just as hard. Google "tire zipper failure". Every used circle track tire you mount has that chance.
jim goerge (Offline)
  #30 2/9/18 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=TQ29m;489322]Hoosier tires are really tough to get seated, takes more goop, or vasoline, c
ourse in a pinch, KY jelly will work, any flavor you have! Bob[/

Doesn"t Kentucky jelly go on toast and not rims Sorry Bob couldn"t pass it up lol