IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "...have fans back in stadiums and arenas by Aug/Sept"
4/4/20, 3:35 PM   #1
"...have fans back in stadiums and arenas by Aug/Sept"
jdull99

Redact the President's name if you need to, but either way -

https://www.jayski.com/2020/04/04/pr...ts-executives/

The way I read it; there is an emphasis to "have fans back in stadiums and arenas by August and September"...so, if the hospitals aren't full, I will hold out hope some sports (REAL ones - NOT "iracing", lol) - can be on TV at least (with no fans in stands) sooner...my hopes for that have been mostly pushed back til June tho...at this point...

Ideally smthn can work out for short track racing either way, but as most of their seasons are winding down by then AND if anything can happen earlier - without fan support - it would rely on the TV $ to operate...maybe sponsors and www streams??? People would watch!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/4/20, 3:50 PM   #2
Non wing lover

I'm hoping we all can get back to the tracks in June covid -19 sucks

4 members like this post: Big Mike 7, chrismattlin, Dirteater, LUCKYONE
4/4/20, 4:23 PM   #3
Re: "...have fans back in stadiums and arenas by Aug/Sept"
Joe Schaub

Lets hope it is long before then. If we get that deep into the year, you can almost bet the State Fair races will be canceled long before then. Illinois is already bleeding red over this Wuhan Virus stuff so they will be all to happy to cancel the state fairs in Illinois.

The other thing, and more importantly, is will there be enough teams in all forms of racing that will be able to make it to the track. Small businesses are in dire financial straights and those are the ones that sponsor your local driver and track. It is going to be absolutely crucial that we support any and all businesses that support the local dirt track and drivers from here on out.
Last edited by Joe Schaub; 4/4/20 at 4:26 PM.

4/4/20, 4:29 PM   #4
axman897

We could easily have Thursday Night Thunder make a comeback once the amount of patients in the hospitals decreases. Again, we are really just starting week 4 of heightened measures. let's hope the heat works with the virus and we can get on our way. Though, I have a feeling things will not be the same.

4/4/20, 5:39 PM   #5
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

What track or tracks could "easily" make a Thursday Night Thunder series work? Anderson tried running sprint cars last year on select Thursday evenings and that did not work. Putnamville tried Thursday's many years ago, and that did not work. We get into August now and schools are already in session. Wishful thinking and we all want more races, but a promoter needs fans to pay a purse. Who's gonna take the chance? Especially this year, when families and businesses are just trying to survive.

3 members like this post: opnwhlmnd, PIT CART, Sprint8586
4/4/20, 6:28 PM   #6
Jonr

I think that you need to think of this logically. Obviously, the first thing that needs to change is the Stay at home orders. I think the last one that I heard of was till early June. If we have stay at home orders, we have no racing. The next thing that needs to change is the outlawing of large events/social distancing. Once again, as long as there is no meetings of people more than 100 or everyone has to be 6 feet away, we will not be racing. The next thing that needs to happen is a return to normal of the hospitals. As long as hospitals are being overrun, we will not have racing. Finally, there has to be a path forward on the economy. With everyone watching every dollar, disposable money for racing is not going to happen.

So, as I get to the bottom of this post, I am a lot more pessimistic than I was 5 minutes ago. I worry that we may not pass all of these checkpoints this summer.

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, racer-x
4/4/20, 7:37 PM   #7
jdull99

The last one, that I know of, is June 10th in Virginia - there is supposed to be an ******** June 9th, but I do NOT want to get (anymore) political...I would like to think, as a form of optimism, that was WHY it was pushed back that far, but news keeps pushing this all back...& then you have to wonder WHAT is gona come back...these are the times when one struggles with reality and an attempt at optimistic views...I wished the story from today's phone call woulda said "June or July"...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/4/20, 8:24 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

There's a cure, But not enough to give 300 million in short period of time.
There's a vaccine, But it's a year out.
There's testing, But only enough for a few thousand a day. But unless your at the point of falling over, We can't test you. Go home, Call if it gets worse.

They'll be a time, Hello doc, I think I've got it. Here, take this for five days and come get tested or come if it gets worse.

Until then, WE WAIT.

Hope you all are well, Nobody I know directly has it yet but in my social circles there are a few. Prayers.

4/5/20, 8:31 PM   #9
interpreter66

I know somebody that had the virus and luckily they have passed the point of danger,the person I know was a contractor that I did work for, for many many years and then he retired, he called me out of the blue Friday wanted to see how me and my family were doing ,he said he was calling people who meant something to him in his life and wanted to make sure they were OK I was floored that he had it and that I ment that much to him ,for him to call,it really made it real for me,until then people were just statistics. I love racing but until it is safe for everyone we need to be staying away and not being in large groups.

4/5/20, 10:07 PM   #10
otgracing17

I think local racing could be one of the first sporting events to restart. Think about it, if this ban was to get called off tomorrow by Friday Bloomington could be racing, Saturday tracks could open up etc. It would not be that far of a stretch. The crowds for these tracks are fairly local as are most of the cars who race at them. Also, most teams are pretty close to being race ready if not already there. Large scale sports and large scale racing (Indycar, NASCAR, etc) have a tougher logistical plan to follow which may cause delays there. This also will most likely trickle down to the National Tours (USAC and WoO) because they will have to decide on races a few weeks out. USAC is at a better point come summertime because of the races that stay close to Indiana. Again the races in Indiana aren’t that bad of a stretch because most teams are located here. I think the last half of the summer will be crazy with race makeup dates for USAC. The three shows we lost this month could be made up and tagged onto other races at these tracks pretty easily without being too hard on teams. Obviously, the tracks have to want to and be able to make up these races. With the current predictions and puzzle pieces falling into place everyday we see a prediction of the peak being in two weeks or so. That puts us about a month into the shutdowns so assuming the flip side takes a month that puts us mid-May or so for everything to start opening back up. Looking at predictions this would maybe put us at the end of May early June for being able to race locally. Lately until this point it always seems like there are a lot of rainouts anyways which take claim to many races. Things seem to change rapidly but watching data from other countries and everything else going on the peak point that’s spoke out about a lot will be something to watch for. When that actually happens we will be able to interpolate more about our future with events and everything else. For now we can keep throwing darts at a board. The quicker we get to the peak and get this over with the better it is for everyone.

1 member likes this post: duel
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "...have fans back in stadiums and arenas by Aug/Sept"