IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Hundred - New Home?
10/23/22, 9:28 AM   #31
Re: Hoosier Hundred - New Home?
BrentTFunk

As much as I would have loved to have seen the roadsters at Indy, there is no denying that the race grew in the 70's. That is when grandstands grew around the track. Look at pictures and video from the 60's. The crowd size isn't even comparable.
As for the Hut Hundred, I have seen that race at Terre Haute, Putnamville, Haubstadt, and the Indy mile.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
10/23/22, 9:49 AM   #32
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
As much as I would have loved to have seen the roadsters at Indy, there is no denying that the race grew in the 70's. That is when grandstands grew around the track. Look at pictures and video from the 60's. The crowd size isn't even comparable.
As for the Hut Hundred, I have seen that race at Terre Haute, Putnamville, Haubstadt, and the Indy mile.
If I am remembering right the one at Putnamville had more yellows than any race Ive ever seen.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner
10/23/22, 11:08 AM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Is HUT a short for a certain name or meaning? I mean Hoosier (Hoosier State)

Why not Circle City and make it D2s They show up in mass. Full up midget race anymore, ya never know.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 10/23/22 at 11:10 AM.

10/23/22, 11:45 AM   #34
BrentTFunk

Something else to add. We had a couple of years warning that they were going to kill the Indy mile. Did anybody who is worried now bother to write the Governor, or their local State Rep? I wrote to 4 different people. Did anyone out of state that is concerned now, write and tell how much money they spend when attending races, and how important the history of this track is? If everyone who is up in arms now would have taken 15 minutes then, we may not be having this conversation.

10/23/22, 11:50 AM   #35
Joe Schaub

Deleted

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
10/23/22, 11:52 AM   #36
Joe Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Something else to add. We had a couple of years warning that they were going to kill the Indy mile. Did anybody who is worried now bother to write the Governor, or their local State Rep? I wrote to 4 different people. Did anyone out of state that is concerned now, write and tell how much money they spend when attending races, and how important the history of this track is? If everyone who is up in arms now would have taken 15 minutes then, we may not be having this conversation.
You can't reason with horse people be they horse owners or horse's azzes. Writing anyone associated with the fair grounds confirms my statement

3 members like this post: Hubie48, oppweld, TQ29m
10/23/22, 12:06 PM   #37
flagboy55

Wasn’t the Hut run at the Burg once also? All those venues dirt. Part of my point is that the competition level on the pavement is one reason why they shouldn’t associate the two. Not that it’s the same but what’s the big Late Model race they run at Winchester in the fall every year, the 400 something or other? You wouldn’t move it to ELDORA and call it the same name? Brent you make a good point, myself included should have done something to try to stop “City Hall” I did nothing, and not to make excuses but if Indianapolis can’t see the value in a race track of such historical importance, I felt we were doomed. The fact that it’s even considered in the Motorsport Capital of the World speaks to me loudly about what our relevance is to most people. Brent, did any of them write you back?

3 members like this post: erich45, Ilovedirttrackracing, oppweld
10/24/22, 12:13 AM   #38
Honest-Sam

Seems like, as much as we resist, times change. Venues change. Race tracks come and go, unfortunately. We are a lot that is steeped in tradition. There were two champ car races at the Indy mile and both have moved. Personally, I am pleased that the ‘tradition’ of the races still exists. Furthermore, I am also happy to see that pavement racing seems to be coming back.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, rick42, tirespinner
10/24/22, 12:14 AM   #39
Honest-Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Anyone remember the PRA Big Car Series? I saw a race at Illiana on June 13th, 2006 with that series. South Shore 125 was the race and Eric Gordon won. That was around the time USAC jumped in bed with NASCAR on the Aero. I could of swore it was Jason McCord or someone that run the deal.

Results from that race

Finish - Car# & Driver
-
01 - 4 Eric Gordon
02 - 37 Tracy Hines
03 - 77 Chet Fillip
04 - 25 Jay Drake
05 - 92 Dave Darland
06 - 32 A.J. Fike
07 - 20 Ron Gregory
08 - 5 Jimmy Kite
09 - 21 Brian Tyler
10 - 51 Russ Gamester
11 - 17 Kenny Jacobs
12 - 15 Teddy Beach
13 - 153 Tom Capie
14 - 198 Michael Roselli
15 - 90 John Heydenreich
16 - 99 Paul White
17 - 110 Brad Armstrong
18 - 1 Dave Steele
Right you are. Jason Smith and Jason McCord.

2 members like this post: Hubie48, tirespinner
10/24/22, 12:30 AM   #40
Honest-Sam

LOR, aka IRP, is officially .686 miles. 100 miles is 145 or 146 laps. Probably would require a fuel break.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Hubie48
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Hundred - New Home?