IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kinser comes out of retirement
3/11/19, 1:44 AM   #1
Kinser comes out of retirement
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

There are Legends and there are names of Legends. Sometimes you are born with a Legends name like Petty, Earnhardt, Bettenhausen and Kinser. We all know the names and some have had the privileged to meet, race and live to see both Grandpa, Dad and Son. I have had the privilege to race mostly not competitively but on the same track with a few "LEGENDS" specially with the name Kinser.
I can remember the very first time I raced against a Kinser. Not Steve but Sheldon. I was parked in the pits maybe '80-'81 at Terre Haute in Indiana and there was a black 6 beside me and on that hood scoop was the name Sheldon Kinser.

Of course he did not know me, but I sure as hell knew of him, "thanks Sprint Car Cavalcade". I could only afford to go up there (Indiana) a couple times a year if that but I sure as hell enjoyed it and to race on some of the "hollowed grounds" in Indiana.

Kinser, we all know the names like Bob, Steve, Mark, Randy, Kelly along with Sheldon, Kraig and Karl. The one that kinda took a different path was Sheldon Jr. Someone that is a champion in his own right and has raced kinda like myself, in many disciplines of racing forms. Someone I can call a friend. I have seen Sheldon win in a wing sprint car, a non wing sprint car, a mini sprint, wing and non wing, a figure 8 car, hobby stock and a midget, my midget.

Sat. night at All Tech Raceway you as a fan will get to see Sheldon Kinser Jr. back behind the wheel of a non wing sprint car. This I have not seen since I was living in Kokomo Indiana in the '90s. At that time Sheldon was driving for the Hurst Bros and it carried the famed #2 that his dad was so famous with.
I had gotten a call for the Brisk Operations Southeastern Sprint Series point leader and ask if I was going to put someone in my car who would I put in it? Without hesitation "Sheldon Kinser Jr. no if and or but's." Aileen Collins-Love has a family commitment for Sat. night Mar. 16 but being the point $$ go to the car owner and with her leading the points she wanted someone in it.

I as a series promoter and friend is happy to say Sheldon Kinser Jr. will be coming out of retirement to wheel the Collins-Love sprint at All Tech Raceway. It would mean a lot to Sheldon and his family here in Florida to come out and cheer for a KINSER. Speaking with Sheldon he is so looking forward to knocking the dust off and setting his ass back behind the wheel of a sprint car. He knows this is a 1 off deal but just maybe he might turn some heads to put him back in a car for a few more races this season. So if you are a car owner check out the 17c this weekend at All Tech.

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

3/11/19, 4:16 AM   #2
7horse
Banned

I thought you were talking about Steve, never heard of Sheldon jr

2 members like this post: HurstBros0, tirespinner
3/11/19, 10:49 AM   #3
Re: Kinser comes out of retirement
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7horse View Post
Guess you don't have any history than...many many more Raci'n Kinser's other than Steve

5 members like this post: Bostonian, Dirtfan, jim goerge, speed bump, TQ29m
3/11/19, 11:38 AM   #4
rrc

How old is Sheldon Jr.?

3/11/19, 2:46 PM   #5
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc View Post
How old is Sheldon Jr.?
48 I believe

3/11/19, 4:43 PM   #6
BrentTFunk

Quote:
With the knowledge you have shown, this doesn't surprise me.

3/11/19, 6:20 PM   #7
jdull99

Quote:
I imagine the Title was left open so that all who were curious had to enter the thread to find out...lol.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

3/11/19, 7:02 PM   #8
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

jdull,

You got that right. With 1193 views in 30 minutes, I think we all rushed to open this thread. Me included. Credit Wayne for putting his promoter hat on and creating a great story.

3/11/19, 7:09 PM   #9
HurstBros0

Here he is in the last out of retirement foray a few years ago...
Attached Images
Sheldon passing Ballou.jpg (91.6 KB, 201 views)

3/11/19, 8:19 PM   #10
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I imagine the Title was left open so that all who were curious had to enter the thread to find out...lol.
Wayne always the promoter 👍I know he lives here and figured it was him ,but I still had to open it,good job Wayne

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ken Bonnema, superstock30, Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kinser comes out of retirement