IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What causes the RR axles to shear off?
1/18/17, 3:44 PM   #21
TQ29m

No, I don't consider it a game changer, it is not something to worry about, the guy who started this thread sounded like it was for him, plenty of other things that can happen before you need to worry about an axle breaking off, it happens, but a lot of other things do also, and more often. Bob

1/18/17, 4:38 PM   #22
ChanceDHolley

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
In my 35 plus years of spectating sprint car races, 25 plus races a year in the midwest, I think I can count on one hand the number of RR axle failures that I have seen. Is this a bigger problem elsewhere in the country? Or is my mind just gone?
I've seen it several times, usually as a result of a rough track (I think Holtgraver did it in October at Atomic driving across the ruts). But You're right, you don't see it everyday.

1/19/17, 12:38 AM   #23
LEADERS EDGE

We rebuild between 150 to 200 Midget and sprint rear ends a year. We see it in our shop about 8 times a year. Of course there are others that happen in Indiana and elsewhere that we don't know about.

A solid inspection and maintenance program and respecting the manufactures recommendations goes a long way.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 1/19/17 at 12:42 AM.

1/19/17, 8:34 AM   #24
Re: What causes the RR axles to shear off?
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
We rebuild between 150 to 200 Midget and sprint rear ends a year. We see it in our shop about 8 times a year. Of course there are others that happen in Indiana and elsewhere that we don't know about.

A solid inspection and maintenance program and respecting the manufactures recommendations goes a long way.
Can you share where on the axles the breaks are happening to see if there is a pattern? Also, do more breaks happen on ultralight vs. light weight?

Tim Simmons

1/19/17, 11:24 AM   #25
TQ29m

One possible cause can be stagger, especially on pavement, the poor old axle winds up and unwinds a lot every lap, just a thought. Bob

1/19/17, 11:43 AM   #26
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I apologize if this is a non-issue. I'm new to sprints and saw that horrific video I mentioned and was concerned it was more common, but sounds like just being vigilant with maintenance will take care of it. Thanks.

1/19/17, 12:17 PM   #27
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Keep asking questions; it's good to hear from someone who's new to open wheel racing and excited to learn...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

4 members like this post: 2HWrench, ChanceDHolley, davidm, Jesse B
1/19/17, 3:25 PM   #28
Jesse B

Follow up question, how often should the rear end be rebuilt?

1/19/17, 7:02 PM   #29
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
Follow up question, how often should the rear end be rebuilt?
We replace our axle every winter. Sometimes more if it takes a big hit. $600 is a lot cheaper than $6000 to rebuild a car from scratch. While you're in there look around. Make sure bearing chrome is not pitted or flaking and make sure the wear on the ring and pinion is not to the edges of the teeth.

1 member likes this post: Jesse B
1/20/17, 10:55 AM   #30
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
We replace our axle every winter. Sometimes more if it takes a big hit. $600 is a lot cheaper than $6000 to rebuild a car from scratch. While you're in there look around. Make sure bearing chrome is not pitted or flaking and make sure the wear on the ring and pinion is not to the edges of the teeth.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

1 member likes this post: Jesse B
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What causes the RR axles to shear off?