IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > chili bowl ROC
1/11/17, 7:40 PM   #31
TQ29m

Yeh, usually only one drinks gas, but every one drinks beer, always the case that I remember, for a short time. Bob

1/11/17, 8:00 PM   #32
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_says17 View Post
Here's what the chili bowl site says- "McKinnie - Triple J Motorsports / Boss / Speedway Toyota". So i guess it's a custom Boss chassis? I'm going to do some digging on twitter and see what i can find out.
JJ has a long association and friendship with Wayne Simmons of Twister/F5 Chassis. Most of the midrails are the new Twister. It could be a Boss, but it seems odd. Are there any other midrails by Boss in the house this week?

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Simon_says17
1/11/17, 8:21 PM   #33
ChanceDHolley

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscs20 View Post
JJ has a long association and friendship with Wayne Simmons of Twister/F5 Chassis. Most of the midrails are the new Twister. It could be a Boss, but it seems odd. Are there any other midrails by Boss in the house this week?
Can anyone explain what a midrail car is and what the advantage is supposed to be? I've never heard the term and I'm genuinely curious.

1/11/17, 8:43 PM   #34
TQ29m

Well, in layman's terms, it is the location of the top frame rail, the ol'cars were just that, a chassis with the top rail just above the engine, then someone raised them to mid of the cage, then that morphed into the down tube, safer? One hell of a lot easier to build, my first build was a midtube, which I feel had better FWD bite, but you couldn't sell one, so I built what the buyers wanted, a few have gone back, I think Beast has built some. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 1/11/17 at 8:45 PM.

1/11/17, 9:34 PM   #35
ChanceDHolley

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Well, in layman's terms, it is the location of the top frame rail, the ol'cars were just that, a chassis with the top rail just above the engine, then someone raised them to mid of the cage, then that morphed into the down tube, safer? One hell of a lot easier to build, my first build was a midtube, which I feel had better FWD bite, but you couldn't sell one, so I built what the buyers wanted, a few have gone back, I think Beast has built some. Bob
Thank you very much for the explanation. I think some asphalt cars still run that set up, and there are a few that are really wild. Saw Zach Gibson win an asphalt 305 race at Sandusky in a car that had a left down tube that met the frame rail halfway between the rear motor plate and the front axle. It also had a rear suspension based off rockers and coilovers and a left side mounted radiator and dry sump. It was a really cool ride and wicked quick.

1/11/17, 9:43 PM   #36
LEADERS EDGE

It's a Boss

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Simon_says17
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > chili bowl ROC