IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Must Watch
2/22/24, 1:25 AM   #21
Re: Must Watch
openwheelfan1

We just returned from Florida. We watched the 4 nights of WoO at Volusia, the 2 nights of USAC at Volusia and the 2 nights of USAC at BRP/Ocala. The truth of the matter is the poorest attended night at the WoO races at Volusia (Wednesday) was better attended than any of the USAC nights at either track. This is not to say that the crowds for the USAC races were bad, just that the crowds for the WoO crowds were better. Volusia set an all time attendance record on Saturday night of the WoO show, and announced that they stoped selling tickets with people still in line.

There were commercials on radio and mentions on TV about the WoO races at Volusia, and a banner being towed by a plane up and down the beach. There was little to no promotion of the USAC races that I heard or saw.

2/22/24, 4:42 AM   #22
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
The reason that non wing is less popular is because wings and late models make better billlboards. Nascar is more popular than Indycar for the same reason. Formula one is by far the richest and most popular of all. It didn't do that much for me, even when I saw it in person. So since they are the most popular, does that make them the best racing?
Good point, but I also recall reading years ago that Karl Kinser gave up "traditional" sprinters cause he felt that wings were safer, absorbed the force in a flip. When big guns like that switch, fans follow
More than one factor involved.....

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
2/22/24, 10:51 AM   #23
DJlives

USAC doesn't promote? Do you havw any idea the sheer amount of videos, stories etc that is put out every single day? There is content on Flo, more local things like a kickoff party with free pizza and beer in less than two weeks. Guys like Justin Grant are on social media every day.

5 members like this post: Bobcat47, BrentTFunk, duel, Hubie48, PJ Wright
2/22/24, 1:35 PM   #24
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The55 View Post
Not sure that makes much sense. F1 has no billboard at all and is the richest and most popular racing in the world. I think this has to do with other factors like the series promotion. WoO promotes their series, USAC doesn’t promote right, it is just the sanctioning body and it is up to the tracks to promote. In any event, sprint car racing, especially non-wing, is and always will be a niche sport. As long as it survives I am OK with that.
What exactly do the Outlaws do to promote? I don't really see it. I think the tracks promote. I see a cardboard cut out at the NAPA store featuring Brad Sweet, Chase Elliott, and other NAPA drivers, so I see sponsors promoting. Not sure that the Outlaws do much actual promoting, more than anyone else.

2/22/24, 1:53 PM   #25
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
We just returned from Florida. We watched the 4 nights of WoO at Volusia, the 2 nights of USAC at Volusia and the 2 nights of USAC at BRP/Ocala. The truth of the matter is the poorest attended night at the WoO races at Volusia (Wednesday) was better attended than any of the USAC nights at either track. This is not to say that the crowds for the USAC races were bad, just that the crowds for the WoO crowds were better. Volusia set an all time attendance record on Saturday night of the WoO show, and announced that they stoped selling tickets with people still in line.

There were commercials on radio and mentions on TV about the WoO races at Volusia, and a banner being towed by a plane up and down the beach. There was little to no promotion of the USAC races that I heard or saw.
I thought the crowds were really good at Volusia. I think they did a great job of capitalizing on an opportunity. The Daytona area is loaded with people from all kinds of racing during Daytona 500 week. Manufacturers, Promoters, Sponsors are all there. Since the clash moved, most of those people are there for the whole week. That is a big number of potential customers in the area. Many are looking to see racing.
Don't discount the fact that there were 120 modifieds with them each night. (They ran them very efficiently, and didn't make teams have unnecessary wear and tear on the cars.) If half those teams had 6 people in the stands watching, that is a significant number.
Whenever I have been there, Volusia has used a banner behind a plane. Not sure that type of advertising would work everywhere. If I was promoting a race at say Gas City or Putnamville. Where could I fly the banner and reach that kind of people? They did a real nice job.

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Hubie48, TBONE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Must Watch