IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A question for the race track chasers
2/2/24, 2:02 PM   #1
A question for the race track chasers
Jonr

So, I know many of us keep records on all of the tracks we have visited. (My number is 93), but I have some questions about how you classify some situations.

1. The race track has two tracks at the same location. There is the big track and the little track inside. You sit in the same grandstand, but the two tracks are completely different and have nothing in common. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

2. Similar to one but a little different. There are two tracks but they share the front straight away. The two tracks race completely different, but for a moment they are on the same straight way. Once again, you sit in the same grandstand to watch both races. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

3. The race track was cut down in size. At one time it was a big track (usually 1/2 mile) but the racing and car count suffered. Thus the promoter cut the track in size to something much smaller. Sometimes the front straight away in reused, but sometimes a smaller track is just inside the larger track and the larger track is abandoned. However, once again the same grandstands are used for both. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

4. The track was brought back to life. This is where the track has a history, went dark, and then was brought back to life. This is where everything is new except for the location of the track. Pennsboro Speedway is a great example of this. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

5. Complete rebuild of the complex. Similar to four, but instead of keeping the track in the original location, it is moved to a new location within the complex. The only thing similar to the old track in this situation is usually the name and the address. The proposed changes at Little Belleville in Illinois would be an example of this. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

4 members like this post: EBookerFan, nathans1012, oppweld, Stevensville Mike
2/2/24, 2:20 PM   #2
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I count them as one.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
2/2/24, 2:56 PM   #3
Re: A question for the race track chasers
Vookie

http://www.roamingtheraceways.com/guide.html

I told Guy Smith one time that ice racing tracks shouldn't count because they melt in the spring, he didn't find any humor in my joke.
Last edited by Vookie; 2/2/24 at 2:59 PM.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, JJMooney, oppweld
2/2/24, 2:56 PM   #4
TNRustler

I also count them as one.

2/2/24, 3:26 PM   #5
JJMooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
So, I know many of us keep records on all of the tracks we have visited. (My number is 93), but I have some questions about how you classify some situations.

1. The race track has two tracks at the same location. There is the big track and the little track inside. You sit in the same grandstand, but the two tracks are completely different and have nothing in common. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

2. Similar to one but a little different. There are two tracks but they share the front straight away. The two tracks race completely different, but for a moment they are on the same straight way. Once again, you sit in the same grandstand to watch both races. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

3. The race track was cut down in size. At one time it was a big track (usually 1/2 mile) but the racing and car count suffered. Thus the promoter cut the track in size to something much smaller. Sometimes the front straight away in reused, but sometimes a smaller track is just inside the larger track and the larger track is abandoned. However, once again the same grandstands are used for both. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

4. The track was brought back to life. This is where the track has a history, went dark, and then was brought back to life. This is where everything is new except for the location of the track. Pennsboro Speedway is a great example of this. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?

5. Complete rebuild of the complex. Similar to four, but instead of keeping the track in the original location, it is moved to a new location within the complex. The only thing similar to the old track in this situation is usually the name and the address. The proposed changes at Little Belleville in Illinois would be an example of this. If you watch a race on both tracks is that two on your list?
I follow the Trackchaser rule book:

1. Track within a track. Yes. They count separately. You only count tracks separately IF you see a race on them. Examples: Salem - Big half with a 1/4 mile on the inside (You see sprint cars on the half, Kenyon cars on the 1/4 - that' 2 tracks), IMS - Superspeedway with the Midget Short Track inside (You went to the Indy 500 in May, came back in Sept for the BC39 - that's 2 tracks).

2. Even if the tracks share the same straightaway, they can count as separate tracks. Again, only if you see races on both configurations. Examples: Anderson - the oval and the figure 8 track, Baer Field - 1/2 mile oval and an inner 1/4 mile that shared the front straight.

3. That's a point of contention with some Trackchasers. The short answer is "no". Only count once. A perfect example is Lawrenceburg. I've seen shows on the old flat quarter and the new banked 3/8. They are completely different configurations, in my opinion. To save on any arguments, Lawrenceburg can only be counted once.

4. Counts as only one track. Cosmetics don't matter.

5. Moved to a new spot within the same complex - I've thought about this one myself when it comes to the new Belle-Clair (if it ever happens). I would say "yes". Counts as a new track. This one might have to go to the Trackchaser Board of Directors for review.

4 members like this post: Jonr, nathans1012, oppweld, WinglessLovers
2/2/24, 4:06 PM   #6
Stevensville Mike

I'm a one track man for all of the aforementioned scenarios. Even if, for the sake of argument, you watched the Rolex 24 Hours at Dayona and then went back a few weeks later to watch the Daytona 500 on the oval. I call that one track - both at Daytona International Speedway.

But you cannot just "go with the name". For example, we once went to a race at Alabama International Motor Speedway. If I went back now and watched a race there it would be at Talladega Superspeedway. I would not count that as two either.

Interesting topic, though, Jonr.

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, TNRustler
2/2/24, 4:34 PM   #7
JJMooney

Not mentioned yet is the scenario of changing track surfaces…

If you’ve seen racing on the same track, at different times, with different surfaces, one dirt, one pavement, you count as two tracks.

For example – I saw racing at the old Flemington Fair Speedway (NJ) in 1983 when it was dirt. I also saw a sprint car show there in 1991 when it was pavement. I count Flemington twice. Lakeside Speedway (KS) – I saw a stock car race there in 1997 when it was pavement. Came back in 2000 and saw a sprint car race there when it was dirt. Two tracks.

Again, that’s just how the Trackchasers count them. Not to be taken too, too seriously. It’s all good fun.

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
2/2/24, 5:35 PM   #8
dsc1600

I count Flemington as one but understand the argument for counting as two.

In the examples given by the original poster, I would also count them as one track. But to each their own.

2/2/24, 10:45 PM   #9
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
I follow the Trackchaser rule book:

1. Track within a track. Yes. They count separately. You only count tracks separately IF you see a race on them. Examples: Salem - Big half with a 1/4 mile on the inside (You see sprint cars on the half, Kenyon cars on the 1/4 - that' 2 tracks), IMS - Superspeedway with the Midget Short Track inside (You went to the Indy 500 in May, came back in Sept for the BC39 - that's 2 tracks).

2. Even if the tracks share the same straightaway, they can count as separate tracks. Again, only if you see races on both configurations. Examples: Anderson - the oval and the figure 8 track, Baer Field - 1/2 mile oval and an inner 1/4 mile that shared the front straight.

3. That's a point of contention with some Trackchasers. The short answer is "no". Only count once. A perfect example is Lawrenceburg. I've seen shows on the old flat quarter and the new banked 3/8. They are completely different configurations, in my opinion. To save on any arguments, Lawrenceburg can only be counted once.

4. Counts as only one track. Cosmetics don't matter.

5. Moved to a new spot within the same complex - I've thought about this one myself when it comes to the new Belle-Clair (if it ever happens). I would say "yes". Counts as a new track. This one might have to go to the Trackchaser Board of Directors for review.
I agree with most of the people here, one location=one track. As for "official" Track Chaser rules. I guess some people like to formalize & define everything.... I like the comment " Not to be taken too, too seriously. It’s all good fun"
By the way, I'm a relative lightweight at 39 tracks. Hope to hit at least 3 new ones this summer
Last edited by revjimk; 2/4/24 at 12:27 PM.

2/3/24, 11:53 AM   #10
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vookie View Post
http://www.roamingtheraceways.com/guide.html

I told Guy Smith one time that ice racing tracks shouldn't count because they melt in the spring, he didn't find any humor in my joke.
Did not know that there was a group with rules. Will have to work on my list this afternoon. By using the rules listed my count will go up, but for the race chaser group it may go down. There are a couple on my list that I visited with my dad 40 years ago that I only have vague details. I know we went to “old dirt track outside of Odessa” and it is on my list but it might not make race chaser list.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A question for the race track chasers