IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Haubstadt Hustler
9/18/23, 8:22 PM   #61
Re: Haubstadt Hustler
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Nobody seems to get that he was hit with a HARD object. While I think it may be overplayed as to "INJURY" It's not the same as a fist or a slap or even a drop kick.

I'd say this though, If he's gonna press charges on that. He's not going to be welcomed in many pit areas.

6 members like this post: billw, btwhit01, cmakin, flagboy55, interpreter66, jonboat15
9/18/23, 8:51 PM   #62
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
The incident involving Aric Gentry escalated in the pits. As a result Aric is on the news with his picture on the screen of tv stations in the Evansville market. Was also reported on WITZ FM radio in Jasper.
I’ve never seen race track fights reported on local tv before. Only one I remember was at Anderson Speedway when a stock car driver kicked the windshield out of another car and attacked the driver in front of the grandstand. That made the national news on the NBC nightly report.
Sad to see this negative publicity for Aric. He has been racing well and having some success as indicated by his points position.
Didn't know anything happened in the pits afterwards,can you share what happened Ron?

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

9/18/23, 9:01 PM   #63
flagboy55

Lot’s of different opinions on this subject. Mine is an arrest is a bit much. As veteran of many hockey games with many average players and being struck in the head with hockey sticks with a less than professional grade helmet, I’ll bet there was no damage done with a short stroke of steering wheel to a professional race helmet. Fine, suspension, both, ok. Jail, come on man

9/18/23, 9:51 PM   #64
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Nobody seems to get that he was hit with a HARD object. While I think it may be overplayed as to "INJURY" It's not the same as a fist or a slap or even a drop kick.
Disagree Chuck, Leary’s 2 kicks were much more forceful and violent than this Doink with a hard object. If Gentry really wanted to hurt him he could have wound up like Nolan Ryan and delivered one heck of a blow. Agree the injury was overplayed, since he popped right up outta the cockpit and finished the race. More like your Dad slapping ya on the back of the head and saying “ what the heck you thinking “.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I'd say this though, If he's gonna press charges on that. He's not going to be welcomed in many pit areas.
Your 100% correct on this.

6 members like this post: billw, btwhit01, cmakin, luckybuc97, mc/rider, oppweld
9/18/23, 9:57 PM   #65
openwheelfan1

As I stated previously, I don’t condone what Aric Gentry did. Striking a person, esp. IN THIS DAY AND AGE is a very risky thing to do. But here is my concern about the other driver pressing charges (which I understand, IS his right): where does it stop? If a driver A throws a slider on driver B and driver B doesn’t lift and crashes when they make contact, is that assault by driver A? If driver B does lift and then tags the back of driver A and turns him in to the fence in the next corner, is that assault by driver B? Has Pandora’s Box been opened here?

And yes, I know these scenarios are unlikely, and yes I know, Aric crossed a line. But I do fear a dangerous precedent has been set here

6 members like this post: CRA91, jonboat15, oppweld, snowdrift, Speedmax3, The Old Coyote
9/18/23, 10:43 PM   #66
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Didn't know anything happened in the pits afterwards,can you share what happened Ron?
Local tv stations reported that Aric Gentry assaulted another driver in the pits. All I saw was a police car with lights on go into the pits. I saw the same report on two tv stations and a Jasper radio station. His picture was on tv

9/18/23, 10:54 PM   #67
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Local tv stations reported that Aric Gentry assaulted another driver in the pits. All I saw was a police car with lights on go into the pits. I saw the same report on two tv stations and a Jasper radio station. His picture was on tv
Nothing happened in the pits Ron other than Aric getting arrested. What happened on the track was it. “Message sent, message received”.
Last edited by Chief Wahoo; 9/18/23 at 11:00 PM.

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, mc/rider, oppweld
9/19/23, 7:53 AM   #68
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
Disagree Chuck, Leary’s 2 kicks were much more forceful and violent than this Doink with a hard object. If Gentry really wanted to hurt him he could have wound up like Nolan Ryan and delivered one heck of a blow. Agree the injury was overplayed, since he popped right up outta the cockpit and finished the race. More like your Dad slapping ya on the back of the head and saying “ what the heck you thinking “.

Your 100% correct on this.
My point was it was a object he used, not the degree of damage. If it'd been a tire iron or baseball bat, same thing.. I agree it was a "What the hell were you thinking" Message. If he really wanted to hurt him. He had the full upper hand instead of just walking away.

Most competitors after such a incident would offer some parts and be drinking a beer together a hour later instead of pressing charges.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/19/23 at 7:58 AM.

2 members like this post: cmakin, Hubie48
9/19/23, 10:59 AM   #69
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Twist it how I like? This coming from the King of spin. Oh I apologize was that a hurled insult too? Brent I learned many years ago that discussing things with people like you are not possible. I figured you out long ago. The hide behind the keyboard thing that you keep mentioning is laughable as well. Fortunately for me I have discussed many of the boards topics in a face to face atmosphere with other members. You clearly take exception to me because I still don’t herald you as the folk hero of this board. We have debated many topics here. Most we disagree, and a few we see common ground.
As for your question about Circle City, yes I was there. Surprised if you were as there were two push start divisions and another support class. Something you mentioned this summer that you stay away from. The surface was a typical Sargeant promotion. If you think Seavey winning from again the front row after giving up the lead for 6 laps to the driving Miss Daisy special, then blasting the lip for one turn is great, then again we disagree. I was impressed with how Bacon from 11th and even more Ballou from 14th figured out how to pass cars on that disgrace. You never did say where you sat at Haubstadt to miss all of the things happened out there. The cynic in me thinks you weren’t there and based your assessment on Flo only filming the leader. I could be wrong and that’s ok. I have been before.
Think this would best be a private message. This board has always impressed me more than others that for the most part personal invectives are kept to a minimum.

3 members like this post: interpreter66, The Old Coyote, Vookie
9/19/23, 11:05 AM   #70
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
While I don’t condone what Aric Gentry did, the other driver involved had made numerous, VERY questionable moves throughout the night. I get it…a new driver has to start somewhere, but he also has to have awareness of where he is on the track, and who is remaining to go around him. His decision to turn toward the infield in the middle of the backstretch, while maybe made with the best of intentions, cost Aric Gentry a race car. Again, I don’t condone Aric’s response, but I understand his anger and frustration.
You may understand it, but doesn't warrant what he did. He has a problem settle it at the trailer when both are out of the car.
And, USAC has a director of competition, right? And a flagman, right? And a black flag, right? If these moves were as you say "questionable", why aren't you calling out the officials for not throwing the black flag at him. Other organizations would do it. If this guy is an inexperienced driver as you say, then it should have been evident very early on he might be a problem. But I doubt as you seem to imply he was out there tryig to hurt someone or damage their stuff.

2 members like this post: brown11b, jonboat15
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Haubstadt Hustler