IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unpaid CRA bounties
6/6/11, 6:00 PM   #1
Unpaid CRA bounties
deannalynn

How many non-California Racing Association drivers never received their full bounties for beating California drivers in the 80's or late 70's. I don't care if you're from PA, IN, OH, MI, IL, KY, WI, or the moon. PM me if you don't want your answers posted and I will confidentially confirm. Thanks, IOW!

Making my list and checking it twice I know who's been naughty, but who all's been nice?

6/6/11, 6:20 PM   #2
Re: Unpaid CRA bounties
Vukie

CRA doesn't exist anymore,what's the angle?

2 members like this post: jim goerge
6/6/11, 6:56 PM   #3
sprinter25

Someone still has an axe to grind with Frank Lewis, I guess......

5 members like this post: JCC, jim goerge, Mud Packer, Vukie
6/6/11, 6:56 PM   #4
Jonr

WOW!!!! Talk about having an axe to grind. Bringing something up that happened over 30 years ago.

Take your medicine and go back to bed. No one wants to hear your rant. :2:

5 members like this post: JCC, jim goerge, Mud Packer, Vukie
6/6/11, 7:53 PM   #5
short track scott

Wow.

This one ranks right up there for strange, obscure moments in history. I guess it's possible, even probable, but why now?

I mean, is this some kind of witch hunt? How many guys are left in the sport from those days? Two, or three? And they've slept since then.

I really hope this post can be explained further, as I believe it has piqued the interest of others as well. I remember that 'bonus' to be a grand or less, which is still significant but many of us have written off bad debts for more over the years.

Please keep us updated on your findings!

Or maybe Jonr said it better in the previous reply...
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by short track scott; 6/6/11 at 7:55 PM.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer
6/6/11, 8:17 PM   #6
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by short track scott View Post
Wow.

This one ranks right up there for strange, obscure moments in history. I guess it's possible, even probable, but why now?

I mean, is this some kind of witch hunt? How many guys are left in the sport from those days? Two, or three? And they've slept since then.

I really hope this post can be explained further, as I believe it has piqued the interest of others as well. I remember that 'bonus' to be a grand or less, which is still significant but many of us have written off bad debts for more over the years.

Please keep us updated on your findings!

Or maybe Jonr said it better in the previous reply...
Posted via Mobile Device
Bonus money was paid out in 1992, $10,000 to win. Joe Roush had trouble getting his money. It was insurance policy if I remember correctly.

1 member likes this post:
6/6/11, 8:23 PM   #7
bigq11

The year I remember, it was a bonus of $10,000. They paid it out twice that year for any driver winning one of their races on their swing through the midwest. The midwest had went to Winged racing almost everywhere at that time.

Steve Kinser collected their money at Eldora. I remember the announcer, Terry Baltes, really playing up the fact that Steve had not been in a non-wing car for some time. He said something to the effect that he had talked to Karl and he said he rembered how to set the car up, but he wasn't sure Steve remembered how to drive without a wing. Really playing up the crowd prior to hot laps. Then Steve went out and really put a whooping on them. Only one car even kept him in sight. Might have been Opperman, but that doesn't sound quite right, so maybe not him.

Then at Brownstown on a black one lane track, Joe Roush managed to be the first one to the bottom on the opening lap. After that, it was one line around the bottom. Only driver I remember stepping out of line to try anything was Kevin Briscoe in the Strandridge car.

I do remember hearing it took weeks for him to be paid his $10,000 bounty. Seems like the CRA was saying his name was not on the pit sign in sheet or something to that effect.

6/6/11, 8:30 PM   #8
Vukie

Bubby Jones lead most of that feature at Eldora that night. He came out of retirement for that tour.

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, jim goerge, Jimmydiesel
6/6/11, 8:38 PM   #9
racerdog45

Roush won that feature with a left rear on the right and afterwards credited his Speedrome experience for the win. Hewitt tried the top, was kind of ugly....lol

6/6/11, 8:40 PM   #10
cowboyhar69

If memory serves me right I think Bob Hampshire with Rusty McClure driving finally got one of those $10k bonuses. Didn't Steve Kinser trail Bubby Jones most of the race and got around Bubby with about 6 or 7 laps to go? Was it Bubby Jones? I remember talking to this driver the next day and he told me he "just got tuckered out"...I think this was his first time back in a car after a couple of years layoff.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Unpaid CRA bounties