IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does chassis age matter?
11/1/14, 4:32 PM   #31
Re: Does chassis age matter?
LEADERS EDGE

If you really pay attention to a racing season you will most like likely see some common patterns. Often at the beginning of the year there are more than a few guys who are faster than they were at the end of the previous year. After talking with them you will normally find out that they either got a new car and parts or stripped the older car and had it checked and upgraded the parts. As the season wears along, you will see guys who were once strong starting to fade. Maybe a crash or two and normal wear and tear. Some guys will maybe take time off in the middle of the year around sprint week to freshen the car and they become fast again. Some guys aren't fast until the next year.

Is it a case of money problems or lack of taking car of the equipment, lack of time, or lack of knowledge; I'm not sure. My point is that you can have the best of everything or older equipment, but the key is to take care of what you have, learn about what you have and to take proper care of what you have and you will be way ahead of the game. The old saying is the best saying: Races are won in the garage.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jjracer636
11/1/14, 5:17 PM   #32
MC@Performance Fab

Race cars are constantly evolving, that's a given, doesn't matter what series your running in there's always someone looking for an edge. What was great last season might at best be a midfield car this season. You always need to be looking for that advantage no one else has got if you want to run up front.

11/1/14, 6:47 PM   #33
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I posted earlier that the car will lose something with age/abuse/repairs. I did not include some caveats, which others have mentioned.

Make sure that the bars are good. I do not use a rate checker, I just replace old/abused bars. The reason for this is that bar rate will not usually change, as rate is a function of material and size. But... ... response of the bar will change on a molecular level. Too much detail there for a message board.

Shocks. Have your shocks dynoed and tuned by a good shock builder. I have had new shocks that overlapped on the rate numbers, i.e. a 3 compression shock that was stiffer than a 4 compression by the same manufacturer. This was driven home one night when I was pedaling a loose car in TT, and I changed shocks from a 4/10 non adjustable to a 4/10 adjustable by the same manufacturer. After the change the car was driveable wide open all over the track. Eye opening experience. I now use a good shock builder and know what my shocks are. My car feel has also progressed with my shock program.

Without consistent shocks and bars I probably would not notice the change in the frame.

11/3/14, 1:08 AM   #34
KMS2683

I agree with most that age does not matter. We have an 05 coil over micro sprint and in our area most have 2010 and newer four bar micros. I was told my car will never be competitive yet we are very competitive. We have also run older midget chassis with success.

The key is knowing your car and what it needs setup wise. The two critical things we have always made sure we had in top condition were bars/springs and shocks.

A chassis does not know its age. A chassis only knows what you are telling it to do through your driving and setup.

Maintenance and knowledge of your car will always be your best combo for success.

4 members like this post: DAD, DaveP63, Mattmac05, PatrickMead#13
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does chassis age matter?