IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wheelies?
4/16/23, 2:47 PM   #1
Wheelies?
revjimk

Wingless cars often pull wheelstands coming out of turns, sometimes wingers do too
I never watched sprint cars until 2010, but was a drag racing fan back in the 1960s, when "wheelies" were common...
My question is, have sprint cars been doing this all along, back in the "good ole days"?
I know it doesn't help, but its cool to see....

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, Hubie48
4/16/23, 2:58 PM   #2
badcoupe

Real old days they didn’t have enough tire to wheelie. But they’ve been flying the front as long as I’ve been alive, I’m early 40’s

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55
4/16/23, 3:14 PM   #3
Re: Wheelies?
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
Real old days they didn’t have enough tire to wheelie. But they’ve been flying the front as long as I’ve been alive, I’m early 40’s
Thanks... anyone else?

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
4/16/23, 3:25 PM   #4
DirtTrackTherapy16J

There you go Rev...I removed my post, sorry for agreeing with you and just chiming in on how I think their kool and what I see at tracks. I'm fully aware of what a wheel stand is...I did it all the time as a kid on a bicycle and I do it to this day on ATVs, Pit Bikes, and Sleds. Sorry I wasn't born yet in the time frame your talking about, have a good one.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 4/16/23 at 8:52 PM.

4/16/23, 3:35 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Cars used not to be so stiff. Used to have the Left wheel three feet in the air all the way around the turns. About the only place you see this now a lot is Terre Haute early. Wheelies really weren't often until Gaerte and other pure engine builders got involved. Also the tires doubled, then tripled in width.

Can remember Dick Gaines on the top of Burg, Running straight and thru the holes, And Butch Wilkerson down low with that left front all jacked up in the air beating himself to death. Dick usually came out on top, But Butch occasionally beat him off. Grant King cars were works of art.

4/16/23, 4:26 PM   #6
revjimk

Thanks for the replies
Left front coming up on a turn isn't what i consider a "wheelie", tho
A wheelie is straight up acceleration, light car, short wheelbase.... not a turn
Pretty common on "traditional" sprint cars nowadays. Danny Dietrich seems to do it a lot coming out of turn 4 at Lincoln, Pa. for the wingers

4/16/23, 7:26 PM   #7
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

My .02 cent. The engines are lighter now and make a lot more power. To combat the tracks getting slick later in the night the engines are further back in the chassis than the old days. Frames are lighter, bolt on parts are lighter, shocks are better and tires are wider. So to answer your question, yes they do fly the front end more often than the old days. They may look cool but wheelies hurt lap times. Can’t keep the hammer down when the front end is climbing the sky!

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Hustlin-Hoosier, spankytoo
4/16/23, 7:39 PM   #8
Daisy's dad

Dug up this photo that I purchased years ago, since at the time it looked pretty spectacular. Mark Kinser in the Allan Nott car. Photo credit to Frank Kerker of On The Fence Racing Photography.
Attached Images
Mark Kinser wheelie.JPG (229.8 KB, 102 views)

4 members like this post: flagboy55, motorhead748, nathans1012, treecitytornado
4/16/23, 8:42 PM   #9
Pitdad

Saw Mark win an outlaw show at Pevely in the 90’s. He covered the entire field. He was carrying the front end down the length of both straights and setting it down ever so slightly through the turns. He was so hooked up, he spun, 360, stayed on the power and didn’t lose the lead.

Wheelies are about set up, gearing, and horsepower. If you can’t break the rear tires loose because you’re getting too much forward bite out of your set up, you’ll wheel stand. If you’re gearing is off (and can’t break the rear tires loose), you’ll wheel stand. And it’s not the fastest way around the track.

2 members like this post: nathans1012, Stevensville Mike
4/16/23, 11:03 PM   #10
HDbill

Pulling the L/F was almost constant in the '60's midgets with narrow tires. It was simply a matter of having weight in the R/F and L/R. And many got carried away with it and picked up an ugly push. In the 70/s; I belie ve the Smokey Snellbaker made a habit of pulling the R/F tire from the flag stand in. And A lot of guys copied it to be fast. I think that a great argument could come up explaining why no wing cars seem to do it more frequently than wing cars that run such severe wing angles that the load is behind the rear wheels and that means that they need the nose wing or the car will be undriveable tight (if they lose the nose wing unexpectedly). But Supermodifieds have the wings almost level?s. Midgets were pulling both front tires at the Chili Bowl 20 years ago without a wing and down at least 50HP compared to today. I vaguely remember a dog fight between Tony Stewart and JJ Yeley both pulling wheelies lap after lap on on the inside down the back, the other on the inside down the front. And neither won or finished second. How is any of this possible?

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wheelies?