IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
rrc (Offline)
  #1 9/26/12 9:18 PM
Winter is rapidly approaching and projects are being thought out. If you ever considered building a streetable sprint-like vehicle or ?? there is a chassis listed in the silver crown section that could work. Anyone on the board ever build a street sprint? I often wondered if you could use a regular sprint rear, or if there would be a problem using that type rear end..?
sw1911 (Offline)
  #2 9/26/12 10:04 PM
I think I saw something like this in Knoxville several times.
Sawdust101 (Offline)
  #3 9/26/12 10:08 PM
If you come to Terre Haute for the USAC show there might be a Nance Super Modified there that is street legal. I do know a quick change makes it hard going around turns so a regular car rear axle works best. He can also help you with info for the proper paperwork needed. Just check with the Vintage guys.
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #4 9/26/12 10:39 PM
Saw a sprint car driving down I-71 in Columbus not too long ago. Looked like a downtube car. The guy had a polo shirt on with a white Simpson helmet just crusing in the center southbound lane. Let just say it was prolly the most random sighting on the road in a while. There was one on eBay last season where it looked like they added a small section at the motor plate and snuck a powerglide in it. It was a carb'd sbc crate motor in it. They also used Hoosier QuickTime dot tires on it. Pretty neat ride

Posted via Mobile Device
sprntr (Offline)
  #5 9/26/12 11:20 PM
Ron,

I'm still working on the 100" Gambler you sold me. If I go Street Legal, I'll use a Late Model Quik Change with a differential. Still haven't decided if it's to be a Street Legal or an Old Time racer.

steiny
2 Likes: IndyBound
STS (Offline)
  #6 9/26/12 11:53 PM
My friend just built one this past year. He set a stock Small Block engine with a Powerglide about 4 inches in front of where the motor plate would normally be. He used a stock Sprint car axle and its not that big a deal really. With the rear axle stock the most you feel it according to him is in tight places like parking lots.

I just happened to pick up an older Gambler this week that I am going to build into another street car so he and I can really freak out the people in So Cal! I will document everything I do as I have time for the build so look for a build thread sometime in the future from me.

Joe
3 Likes: IndyBound, PJ Wright
harms52 (Offline)
  #7 9/27/12 1:00 AM
If I had the money, I would have Gary Babineau build one. If you're not familiar with his work, go search "street legal sprint car" on youtube. The guy does awesome work!!!

Heck, here's the link to one of the videos
http://w...
4 Likes: IndyBound, lazyifoto, luckybuc97, safetyworker
Andrew S. Quinn (Online)
  #8 9/27/12 5:32 AM
I saw a few of them on my first trip to the Knoxville Nationals in 1993. One of them was for sale,and I had enough money at that time to buy it.

It ended up though,that it was either buy that car or go to Australia to watch some sprint car racing. Many years later now,I can assure you it would have been cheaper to buy the car instead!!
midget96 (Offline)
  #9 9/27/12 10:08 AM
There is a gentleman in Bedford, IN that has one for sale, if not already sold
TQ29m (Online)
  #10 9/27/12 12:20 PM
Was it one of them things, "what happens in Australia, stays in Australia"? Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!