IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
glittleton (Offline)
  #1 8/9/18 7:16 AM
I am having trouble finding info about Jud Phillips. does anyone know his birthday? - I mean what year? Trying to figure how old he was when he built the Estes roadster with A.J. Watson in 1954. A.J. turned 30 on May 8 that year. Was Jud also from southern Calif.?
Vookie (Offline)
  #2 8/9/18 8:58 AM
Yes he was from Southern California. He worked for Bob Estes at his car dealership. Estes owned race cars for years. He may have been born in 1926 or 1927.
https://indyracingmuseum.org/fame_in.../jud-phillips/
TQ29m (Offline)
  #3 8/9/18 9:04 AM
Greg, don't know if it will help or not, but Watson was 80, on May 8, 2004, miss the old fart! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Vookie (Offline)
  #4 8/9/18 9:21 AM
He was drafted into the military in either 1944 or 1945. If the draft was 18 in that era he was born sometime between 1926 to 1928.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #5 8/9/18 10:39 AM
Boy what a dummy, Sorry Greg, I just realized what I read and what I wrote, but at 81, I guess I'm due. Still miss AJ.

2 Likes: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
TQ29m (Offline)
  #6 8/9/18 1:14 PM
Gregg, if you can get hold of Roger Zellner, he probably has a copy of his birth certificate! Bob

DRC II (Offline)
  #7 8/9/18 1:55 PM
Donald Davidson will probably know. Jud is in the IMS Hall of Fame.
ronmil (Offline)
  #8 8/9/18 5:35 PM
Originally Posted by glittleton:
I am having trouble finding info about Jud Phillips. does anyone know his birthday? - I mean what year? Trying to figure how old he was when he built the Estes roadster with A.J. Watson in 1954. A.J. turned 30 on May 8 that year. Was Jud also from southern Calif.?
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/jud-phillips.pdf

I hope this works!

Ron Miller