IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Justin Wison news conference
8/25/15, 12:47 AM   #11
Re: Justin Wison news conference
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
I am going to chime in from the racing crowd, HARF. My heart dropped when I read he passed. We cannot have this happen again. Now, all of us old diehards, let's take a deep breath.

Exhale.

Here I go.

If you could have put something in place prior to this happening to prevent this incident, whether it be a canopy, a bar, a windscreen, etc., would you have done it? Of course you would have.

That said, it is time to end open cockpit racing as we know it and put something of the sort in place. I am an avid fan of motorsports, but his passing has to create the opening for a new era in safety.

I can remember watching unlimited hydroplane drivers doing their jobs in front engine, open cockpit wooden 30 footers. Bouncing and battling across the water to the thrill of all along the shores. I can remember some of them dying, too. They have gone to a canopy-type cockpit, and the safety aspect has improved tenfold. They had to.

It might not be the same, for the fans can no longer see the drivers working the wheel/rudder, but it had to be done.

Head shots from debris has to be halted. Justin Wilson, Ayrton Senna, Henry Surtees, Roberto Guerrero, Christiano DaMatta, James Hinchcliffe, Felipe Massa...... some lived, some didn't. Some were never the same.

The time has come for change and this long time race fan will be more than happy to accept it.
While I don't disagree that the technology exists to add canopies to Indy Cars, I personally believe that it requires some very thorough and careful study.

Take the incident at IMS with James Hinchcliffe. I am not saying this would have happened, but it certainly COULD have happened. Had there been a canopy on Hincliffe's car and had it jammed due to the high side impact, it could have taken the safety crew a few more minutes to extricate him. We know now that during those few minutes he would have bled out and died.

I agree that head impacts from debris need to be looked at. But this is a very complex issue that requires a look at the overall impact to the car design, esp. from a structural viewpoint, the drivers ability to extricate the car or be extricated, and the impact to the aerodynamics of the car. Just because the technology exists to implement a change doesn't necessarily mean it is the right fix for the problem.

2 members like this post: 4t4, Puppy
8/25/15, 8:09 AM   #12
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

RIP JW. I've not met a nicer racer in my 35 years of being a race fan. I really feel for those left behind, especially his girls.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hotrod, Puppy
8/25/15, 9:23 AM   #13
TQ29m

Rest in Peace, Justin, and God Speed in your journey, you did what you were set out to do, and with it the perils, may your family remember you as you were in life, and rest in the knowledge that you were happy in your short life! Bob

8/25/15, 10:01 AM   #14
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Racing is inherently dangerous. Why do we contemplate this after every fatality? USAC killed them wholesale in the 60s and racing still lived on.

8/25/15, 11:03 AM   #15
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoPA View Post
Racing is inherently dangerous. Why do we contemplate this after every fatality? USAC killed them wholesale in the 60s and racing still lived on.
Some weeks back I was driving and listening to one of the NASCAR talk shows on XM Radio (I was really, really bored). The topic of racing safety came up, to which the question was raised, "Has the element of danger in racing been diminished to the point that racing is too safe?". It was interesting to hear the calls coming in and equally interesting was to hear Chocolate Myers leave me with the impression that he feels the danger has been diminished to the point that some interest has been lost. I am no proponent of negating the safety advances seen to this point. I have been thinking, however, about the question of racing being "too safe", and I'd like to offer the following observations.

While driving a race car takes the afore-mentioned skill, focus and stamina, etc., are we forgetting that the other element required, as highlighted by the tragic events of days of old along with recent times, is courage? We celebrate the exploits and achievements of the drivers but, in my mind, the first thing necessary to strap into a race vehicle is the courage to face serious injury or worse. If that element is reduced to the point of racing being completely safe, then what courage does it take to compete? And, if there is no danger element, does the fan interest diminish to the point of non-attendance? We watch Nik Wallenda walk a tight rope across Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon on national TV but would it be as entertaining if he was wearing a safety harness should he fall? It would definitely be safer but the two things that make it entertainment, danger and courage, would be lost.

Again, I'm no proponent of negating the safety aspects of racing today especially as my son, the father of my grandchildren, straps in when we race. And I don't have the answers. I just hope we don't establish safety to the point of eliminating the thrill of our sport to our fans, and us. As one article I saw today stated, the only way to make racing totally safe is to stop doing it.

Just a few things I've been pondering.

Tim Simmons

8/25/15, 11:35 AM   #16
duel

Like everyone I was hoping it wasn't that bad. Very sad. I heard Paul Trace say that the nose on the car was a pretty heavy part. I wondered if they could somehow tether that piece on better. Too bad a really good race had to have that kind of a finish. R.I.P. Justin.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tamati
8/26/15, 3:57 AM   #17
cleatziff

For the person who was curious what Mario would have to say here you go...

http://www.wthr.com/story/29878867/m...ot-stop-living

3 members like this post: davidm, JordanBlanton, ronmil
8/26/15, 9:49 AM   #18
brian2h

racing is dangerous because its part of it. if i would of had a hans device or one of the other systems i would of not gotten my brain injury i was lucky i recovered 100 percent. (i could not spell before) lol and when i went back to sprint car racing 9 years later i tried that safety crap that lasted 2 races. didnt like it i decided i would rather take my chances. and honastly if i could go back in time i still wouldnt wear it. you can make cars as safe as you want but people are still gonna get hurt and some will die. look at all the changes that have been made over the years and still it happens drivers understand the risc that will never change. i bet if you ran a non wing cage less race at eldora you would be surprized how many drivers would run it. i would but im not fast enough anymore thats why this old guy went to the pasture lol jmo.

8/26/15, 5:56 PM   #19
Puppy

MIke, with all due respect, you guys are going to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
We cannot have this happen again.
racing right out of existence. I expect the non racing crowd to mutter these things but now is the time for the racing community to band together and accept that racing IS dangerous(as if we didnt know), and fight against the "outsiders" that only cover the sport when these things happen. I wish it didnt have to happen either but it did, so we must mourn and move on.

1 member likes this post: sprintracer82
8/26/15, 9:54 PM   #20
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2h View Post
racing is dangerous because its part of it. if i would of had a hans device or one of the other systems i would of not gotten my brain injury i was lucky i recovered 100 percent. (i could not spell before) lol and when i went back to sprint car racing 9 years later i tried that safety crap that lasted 2 races. didnt like it i decided i would rather take my chances. and honastly if i could go back in time i still wouldnt wear it. you can make cars as safe as you want but people are still gonna get hurt and some will die. look at all the changes that have been made over the years and still it happens drivers understand the risc that will never change. i bet if you ran a non wing cage less race at eldora you would be surprized how many drivers would run it. i would but im not fast enough anymore thats why this old guy went to the pasture lol jmo.
You're not slower!! The young guys are just faster!! I know!!

1 member likes this post: 2HWrench
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Justin Wison news conference