IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
miledirt (Online)
  #1 12/28/16 7:38 AM
http://www.chilibowl.com/news/?i=43595
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, CRA91, jim goerge
revjimk (Offline)
  #2 12/28/16 3:45 PM
Wow, thats a lot of cars. Absolutely amazing that some guys win repeatedly!
4 Likes: Bobby7j, BrentTFunk, jim goerge, racer-x
Nate (Offline)
  #3 12/28/16 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
Wow, thats a lot of cars. Absolutely amazing that some guys win repeatedly!
I will say it is impressive to win 1 Driller let alone multiples. However lets face it, there are only only a small percentage of drivers there with both the skill and the car under them to win. The rest are there to try their hand at running with the best or to just be able to say "I ran the Chili Bowl".

But each one is doing something I've never done and never will so I wish each and every driver luck.

Nate Bickel - @natefb22
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #4 12/28/16 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Nate:
I will say it is impressive to win 1 Driller let alone multiples. However lets face it, there are only only a small percentage of drivers there with both the skill and the car under them to win. The rest are there to try their hand at running with the best or to just be able to say "I ran the Chili Bowl".

But each one is doing something I've never done and never will so I wish each and every driver luck.
Not to argue, But to discuss.

I bet there are three full features if not more of drivers and cars that could win on any night, just about anywhere., The fact that about ten of them repeatedly make the A and a couple who have won repeatedly, While I wouldn't say running above their heads. I would say luck plays a factor. And making your own luck a even bigger factor. Tim Clauson said the format is a game. He who plays their hand the best wins.

Finish top three on your night out of 80 your in! Finish top six on your night. you got a legit shot to make it. Finish to nine, your behind the eight ball but its still possible. Finish beyond that. Best race to have fun because your not behind the eight ball. Your behind the billards factory.

Charles Nungester
4 Likes: Dirteater, jeffc5227, jim goerge, mc/rider
Nate (Offline)
  #5 12/28/16 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
Not to argue, But to discuss.

I bet there are three full features if not more of drivers and cars that could win on any night, just about anywhere., The fact that about ten of them repeatedly make the A and a couple who have won repeatedly, While I wouldn't say running above their heads. I would say luck plays a factor. And making your own luck a even bigger factor. Tim Clauson said the format is a game. He who plays their hand the best wins.

Finish top three on your night out of 80 your in! Finish top six on your night. you got a legit shot to make it. Finish to nine, your behind the eight ball but its still possible. Finish beyond that. Best race to have fun because your not behind the eight ball. Your behind the billards factory.
I agree that you definitely need some luck. But I'm saying you look at the more recent results and you will see the same drivers more or less typically are in the feature and run up front come Saturday night.

In the last three or four years Clauson, Abreu, Daum, Gardner, Sammy, Pittman, Larson, Bell, Coons Jr. have all made the main each year I'm pretty sure. Take into account that Kevin Swindell would have probably made the main last year had he not been injured since he had finished either 1st or 2nd in the previous six Chili Bowls. That's a third of the field right there.

Then you look at the rest who have made at least 2 of the last 3 Saturday A-Mains. Darland, Thorson, Boat, Loyet, Windom, T-Mez, Bright, and so on.

Yes, you need a certain amount of luck and getting a good draw on your qualifying night and a couple things going your way never hurts. Sometimes there are some surprises like Dillon last year. But those names mentioned above I think we can all agree on are great drivers. It's no mistake that they do well on their qualifying nights, accrue passing points and find themselves ahead of that 8 ball come Saturday.

I think Kyle Larson said it best a few years back. If you make one of the C-Mains on Saturday, you've done something.

Nate Bickel - @natefb22
2 Likes: Charles Nungester, jim goerge
revjimk (Offline)
  #6 12/29/16 4:12 AM
Sorry...if you win more than once, its not luck
2 Likes: Bobby7j, rmr6nm
SteveB31 (Offline)
  #7 1/1/17 4:40 PM
This event is proof that the cream rises to the top
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #8 1/3/17 12:01 AM
Got to agree with nate, realistically less than 10 percent of the 350 plus have a chance to win. I have no problem with everyone wanting to go run the big show, if I had a midget I would want to go too. I just wish more of this tremendous field would want to race more than a couple times a year