IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
davidm (Offline)
  #1 4/26/17 11:06 AM
There was an article in National Speed Sport a week or two ago about the rise in Dirt Track racing support and Fan attendance. I'm looking to put a list together of Dirt Tracks that have made significant upgrades to their facility in the past couple years. Primarily looking for adding or upgrades to seating, restrooms and concession.

Here is what I have so far.
Kokomo - Adding new seating to the Back Straight
Lincoln Park - Facilities and Concession upgrades and new buildings.
Susquehanna Speedway - New Seating (from NASCAR) , major upgrades to restrooms and concession. New flag stand, walls and fencing.
Lincoln Speedway (PA) - New Seating (from NASCAR)
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #2 4/26/17 11:11 AM
Haubstadt added new inward directing track fencing over the winter. Only Dirt track that I have seen that has taken that initiative for safety.
8 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, i love dirt track racing, Obie, oppweld, R A K, Simon_says17, superstock30
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #3 4/26/17 11:26 AM
Port Royal: Musco lighting, major upgrade in seating capacity via new grandstands in turn 4

Weedsport (NY): Incredible upgrades in facilities including new grandstands, new concession areas, scoreboard etc...

Badlands: Complete re-do of entire facility

Oswego (NY): Asphalt most of the year, but major renovations were made to the backstretch seating to accomodate Super Dirt Week.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, WinglessLovers
R A K (Offline)
  #4 4/26/17 11:28 AM
Plymouth, IN
New grandstand.
And, very importantly, excellent new lighting on the race track, which, EVERY facility should use as a standard.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, tirespinner
davidm (Offline)
  #5 4/26/17 11:29 AM
I forgot about Path Valley Speedway - All new Main Grand Stand Seating, plus new walls and safety fencing.
hoosier race fan (Offline)
  #6 4/26/17 12:12 PM
Montpelier has made some pretty significant upgrades. Several tracks have made some improvements or changes like Fairbury with new fencing, Shadyhill rebuilt their outside wall and removed the wall inside the turns, Mansfield has gone from pavement to dirt, Route 44 (formerly Union County/Whitewater) is about to reopen with a lot of work done to the track and facility cleanup, and the dirt track at Chicagoland (Dirt Oval Route 66 Raceway) has been shortened and the wall removed from the outside of the track other than the front stretch.

Several tracks that closed before or during the recession have now reopened, further illustrating the growth of dirt track racing. The health of the economy has been a significant factor in that growth, but it has been evident in dirt track racing much more than pavement racing.
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, mc/rider, PIT CART
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #7 4/26/17 2:39 PM
Eldora, Musco Lighting, Speedway catch fence, fenced off area between track and grandstand. New medical building (Helipad)

Lawrenceburg, Complete grandstand, concessions and restroom 2001 Track and Musco lighting 2008, added grandstands. 2014 expanded scoreboard.

Mansfield former Nascar upgrades Grandstand, suites etc and Safer barrier. yet track was reverted to dirt.

Waynesfield (Handrails on main grandstand walkways) Big help for us disabled.

The problem now isn't Tracks, It's cars to support em.

Charles Nungester
old timer (Offline)
  #8 4/26/17 2:53 PM
Car count is going to be a big problem!
old timer (Offline)
  #9 4/26/17 2:54 PM
Car count is going to be a big problem!
streetstock29 (Offline)
  #10 4/26/17 3:20 PM
I have not been there for a while; however I hear that Tim at Twin Cities has made several updates to the facility.