IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Rule Question
2/2/17, 8:41 PM   #41
Re: Tire Rule Question
Jonr

OK, we get it. You don't like a tire rule. However, you are delusional if you think you are going to change it.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dirtfan
2/2/17, 9:20 PM   #42
Mattmac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
I'm curious how you know how many people in Indiana treat tires... Be well and don't worry if you keep racing and asking questions you'll get better, experience means a lot.
Like I said, I don't know of anyone for certain, so I am not going to assume until I know for a fact they are. A few people got tested a while back, and that helped clear the air. But it isn't hard to tell if someone is doping. You can easily smell it under caution or in the pits in some cases, and I have personally seen someone leave black tire tracks on the track while we were rolling around before the race started, and lately i have neither smelt any or seen any on tires, when you are surrounded by it on a regular basis, and are on the track enough you pick up on the subtle things on competitors cars, ie tire doping, fuel additives, tire pressure estimates, tire spacing, offsets, etc.

2/2/17, 9:21 PM   #43
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
OK, we get it. You don't like a tire rule. However, you are delusional if you think you are going to change it.
No, My young Apprentice, It is you who are mistaken, Boss has several teams that used to run Indiana tracks. Mr. Hughes has chimed in that he'll run open tire tracks when able. IMHO there are a ton of ways Purple could market and still get their money's worth. But they seek a monopoly and I guess the $$$ is too good to pass up for the tracks who then mandate a four corner rule.

IN the long run it hurts, Because fans also travel and fans are going to go where the best bang for the buck is. And that isn't tracks than can barely support two heats in car numbers.

When they corner the market on tires, whats next, Brand X shocks must be used? Brand K's steering boxes?

The Young Apprentice thing's a joke. Don't take it too serious.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/2/17 at 9:24 PM.

3 members like this post: CSmith66, hairracer44, TQ29m
2/2/17, 10:30 PM   #44
MKTQ17

Jake had a great point! What does the 4 corner rule do for my team? Hoosier never has asked how we are doing or even gave out decals! They dont have to. You must buy there stuff. It doesnt benefit me or my team in any way. Look at any other track or series sponsor, there names are listed and advertised everywhere. None of their products are mandated! If the 4 corner rule got us a competitive cost then great job promoters for helping control costs and helping there bottom line simultaneously. Thats a win win!! However, we all know that was not the case. You will never outspend the next guy, there will always be someone with more money to spend thats life! With limited cars each night. Why would anyone want to deter a car from any class. Fans want to see cars running side by side and lots of them. Promoters have to make money to keep the doors open, owners have to be able to cover as many expenses as possible to keep racing all summer. There has got to be some common ground where you create a relationship So both sides profit because neither side can afford to lose for very long. I supported Montpelier, paragon and boss because of the open rule. When i say open i mean a choice of manufacturers. I do believe a compound rule needs to be in place. Medium and mc2. Run what ever you like and where you get the best treatment and cost!

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, hairracer44, Leohr46, Simon_says17
2/2/17, 10:39 PM   #45
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
No, My young Apprentice, It is you who are mistaken, Boss has several teams that used to run Indiana tracks. Mr. Hughes has chimed in that he'll run open tire tracks when able. IMHO there are a ton of ways Purple could market and still get their money's worth. But they seek a monopoly and I guess the $$$ is too good to pass up for the tracks who then mandate a four corner rule.

IN the long run it hurts, Because fans also travel and fans are going to go where the best bang for the buck is. And that isn't tracks than can barely support two heats in car numbers.

When they corner the market on tires, whats next, Brand X shocks must be used? Brand K's steering boxes?

The Young Apprentice thing's a joke. Don't take it too serious.
Don't worry old timer, I was not offended. I understand that you don't like change and think that all track promoters are basking in a ton of profits. There is a reason that more tracks close every year than open up every year. There is a reason that the failure rate of new promoters is so high. It is a tough business. If they can make a rule that generates money and makes rule enforcement easier, they would be foolish not to look at it. Plus, there is a population of people that actually think a spec rule helps the racers save money. (See the post a couple pages back about the good old days of teams having a larger selection of tires because each brand worked better for a particular track)

I will let you ponder this while you are watching your Lawrence Welk reruns............
Last edited by Jonr; 2/2/17 at 10:41 PM.

2/2/17, 11:11 PM   #46
Sandy Lowe

When Bloomington Speedway first mandated a spec RR Hoosier tire there was a purse increase to the competitors. I believe it was at least $25 per position with start money going from $150 to $200.

2/3/17, 12:03 AM   #47
MKTQ17

If the same formula would be true. With the addition of the other 3 corners 175 tow and 350 to start. No complaints here.

1 member likes this post: Leohr46
2/3/17, 1:53 AM   #48
quicktime3

Open tire rules are all fun and games until the bar gets raised. When you have guys pulling out all the stops while racing for bigger money and bigger championships, open tire rules are just a place for them to out-spend the little guy. If you're going to compete, you not only need to throw tires at it every time on track, but you've also got to be prepared with every possible option already mounted.
Has anyone here been to any high-level dirt late model races in the last few years? The tire game is an absolute war. Guys will be rolling out on the track for the feature & make a last-second turn back to change tires. They even try to hide their choices from each other. Seems obvious to me what is the better solution, at least when it comes to professional level racing.

2/3/17, 9:03 AM   #49
Chris Baue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Don't worry old timer, I was not offended. I understand that you don't like change and think that all track promoters are basking in a ton of profits. There is a reason that more tracks close every year than open up every year. There is a reason that the failure rate of new promoters is so high. It is a tough business. If they can make a rule that generates money and makes rule enforcement easier, they would be foolish not to look at it. Plus, there is a population of people that actually think a spec rule helps the racers save money. (See the post a couple pages back about the good old days of teams having a larger selection of tires because each brand worked better for a particular track)

I will let you ponder this while you are watching your Lawrence Welk reruns............
The reason there's a population of ppl that Actually think that a spec tire rule helps save the racer money is because "spec" used to equal cost effectiveness and equality. Now it just means "mandatory". And when that spec tire is the most expensive and doesn't last as long, that pisses off the car owners.

2/3/17, 9:18 AM   #50
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

How about, "run whatever tire compound/brand you want, but you gotta run it all night, with optional RR change for feature."

2 members like this post: hairracer44, Leohr46
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tire Rule Question