IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Jrp4554 (Offline)
  #1 6/5/11 12:35 PM
How could someone tech a car if you suspected that they had traction control? Is it possible? Just wondering.
thebus79h (Offline)
  #2 6/5/11 2:00 PM
More than likely it would be in the ignition box. Usually take the cover off and you can tell. I don't know if they're getting more creative or not with their dirty dirty cheating.
Phylo82 (Offline)
  #3 6/5/11 2:46 PM
Are there ways of watching/listening to a car and being able to tell if it is running traction control?

I have had people tell me things to listen to on certain cars they've suspected of having it......things that don't sound normal.

I am not that familar with it so I am not sure what I should be paying attention to.

Phil Heil
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt
Dannypollock24 (Offline)
  #4 6/5/11 3:00 PM
Good luck catching them now these days you would have to completely take apart a box to find it and still may not find it Look at all the technology that's in a cell Phone and the size of the parts! It sucks but it's expensive and motor sputters when traction control kicks in you can tell by hearing that! I have seen video's on youtube talking about how it works!

Danny 24
cshuman (Offline)
  #5 6/5/11 3:08 PM
Not in the box boys
Posted via Mobile Device
Dannypollock24 (Offline)
  #6 6/5/11 3:11 PM
Originally Posted by cshuman:
Not in the box boys
Posted via Mobile Device
How is it now?
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #7 6/5/11 3:49 PM
There's a club here that runs midgets with the Pontiac Iron Duke engine. After every race, you turn in the ignition box. Next week you get one back. Probably not the same one. Therefore, no one can monkey with the chips.
CTtoPA (Offline)
  #8 6/5/11 4:02 PM
Maybe they should start checking inside the torque tubes...just sayin'
Posted using Mobile Device
DAD (Offline)
  #9 6/5/11 6:29 PM
TRACTION CONTROL?
For $4000.00 you can buy a wireless unit that you can cary in your pocket to do your traction control, all it does is notices how quickly your engine is accelerating and when the point that it determins is too fast it retards the timeing or kills a few cylinders to help the tires keep traction, you don,t want to buzz your tires. When you buzz them you think you are flying but everybody else is driving around you.
CSHUMAN uses another type of device, it is much more expensive and harder to detect. You can find it at the base of his spine it was given to him by his father and has taken years to get dialed in, the thing is so precise that it can detect even before the tires are wanting break loose and it adjust with the use of brake and throttle to keep the tires biteing and moving forward. You generally won't find this type of device in your lower classes and that is why "he is who he is" A race driver can actually be faster by going slower?
We race 1000 cc mini sprints. These engine run so well that the manufactuers were having problems with dumping riders when they got on them too hard in the lower 3 gears, to tame them down they use a different ign and fuel map for each gear with 3rd gear having the least amount of retard built in, so you might say that any minisprint with a 2004 or newer motor has traction control.
I play with these things more than I race them and I am having a real good time doing it. In 2008 suzuki and kawasaki decided they could sell more bikes if they advertised active traction control but because of insurance regs. they couldn't call them tracton control because they would be liable when some numbn=t dumped their bike. We got a new 08 zx10r converted it over to alky and went racing. My driver said it was like having a 10 lb flywheel on the motor coming out of turn but when it straightened out it was like a rocket ship. It probably would help on a dry slick track, however the CSHUMAN device seems to work as well or better. We also play with data acquisition on our race car because it's fun and I can't hear my damned motor running. Well we went to tulsa with another driver, I explained the traction control to him and asked what he wanted to do. He chose the CSHUMAN device that he had raced with for years over the traction control by box. WE watched his laps and sure enough his highest rpm was about 15 feet before turn exit it would then drop down 1500 rpm's and accelerate down the straight until the next turn lap after lap and he was really hooked up. If you check we now have a spl rule in MMSA rules just for us. Traction is a secret, speed through the turn is "the" secret the cars that run through the turns the fastest will be the car that wins. Sure hope this helps out. Don't worry about tc, make the car and driver do it, that is what we are all striving to do.

BILL JONES

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Am i wrong?
3 Likes: Dannypollock24, Hurryinhoosier, Phylo82
Phylo82 (Offline)
  #10 6/5/11 8:54 PM
My son runs the 1000cc AMSA. We enjoy it a lot, but much like when we ran quarter midgets I have never understood spending a lot of money to win a very little bit of money.....or in the case of quarter midgets, no money at all.

Phil Heil
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt