IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier 100
6/2/10, 11:11 PM   #11
Re: Hoosier 100
rj1

I liked the gimmick. If a team didn't want to spend money changing tires they didn't have to and it would've promoted them to the front of the field. If cautions went a different way, Hollingsworth or Gamester could've won just as well as Hmiel. It made the race more exciting.

My first time ever going to the event. I thought the stands were real packed. Was that a great crowd or typical?

6/3/10, 12:42 AM   #12
team3521

Steiny,

We had plenty last Friday but few stopped by.

They had at least one of the tunnels closed and some fans didn't know how to get across to visit the pits afterwards. Not a very fan friendly act by the promoter!

I came looking for you in the 43 pits after I got across the track and everything was all loaded up and ready to head out after a premature end for you guys (sorry about that by the way) I was ready for a cold Minnesota beverage. There wasn't anybody around the trailer so I just kept walking.

Schrader had about a hundred more horse than the other guys it looked like. In two laps after a caution, Kenny was half a straightaway in front of second place. Maybe that would be an idea for the promoter next year. Put Schrader in the very back of the mods for the feature and watch him go to the front. Maybe that way he could leave the Dirt champ car race alone!

Everyone reading this post knows I was against the damn red flag and I still am. I'm happy for Shane and Scott Benic, but he wasn't out there conserving his tires and just trying not to lose sight of the leader. He was out there like he was in a sprint car. That is exactly what it was too, a big heavy sprint car race with two features. Double the cost of tires with no bump in purse. I honestly was rooting for Gamester and Hollingsworth to hold him off, but there was too much of an advantage with the new tires.

The track was taking rubber in the middle of qualifying (usual). The last cars out to qualify were up front. In my opinion, the track sucked again! It was a one groove track. If they wanted to try something different, they should have tried different track prep. Maybe the big tires and horsepower has done this, but they need to learn someway of making a better race because of the surface rather than a nascrap debris caution to bunch the field up.

I heard that the "real reason" for the red was because TOYOTA was concerned about not being able to make the entire 100 laps at ISF with the standard fuel amount that they run in Silver Crown cars. With USAC having so much of Toyota's sponsorship, money, trucks to use, etc.. They are going to get their way with a simple request.

By the way, does Bob Sargent own a Silver Crown team powered by Toyota?

I love the Hoosier Hundred. I look forward to it being a part of my month of May every year. That being said, I do not want it to go anywhere.

Did anyone pay attention to that sunset while the SC cars were getting ready for the green? It was a beautiful Indy night. Perfect for a race and a few beers. I'm glad I was there!
Last edited by team3521; 6/3/10 at 12:44 AM.

6/3/10, 12:56 AM   #13
dustbowl

Well, considering Brian Tyler has won 100 lappers at Springfield and Duqoin with a Toyota, plus the fact that Toyota didn't actually build any of the Toyotas in the field, I do not think the fuel mileage of the engines or Toyota had anything to do with the red.

6/3/10, 3:39 PM   #14
team3521

We don't know what Toyota has done with their fuel system during the off season, maybe they made a change and now have concerns on the dirt miles? It doesn't matter! That is what I heard from a very, very good source in the pits Friday night.

Besides that, Brian is extraordinary when it comes to conserving fuel and tires for the end. Did the other Toyota's make it a 100 green laps at Springfield and DuQuoin?

6/3/10, 6:31 PM   #15
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3521 View Post
Steiny,

We had plenty last Friday but few stopped by.

They had at least one of the tunnels closed and some fans didn't know how to get across to visit the pits afterwards. Not a very fan friendly act by the promoter!

I came looking for you in the 43 pits after I got across the track and everything was all loaded up and ready to head out after a premature end for you guys (sorry about that by the way) I was ready for a cold Minnesota beverage. There wasn't anybody around the trailer so I just kept walking.
Sorry we missed you. We were standing there by the Concession Stand with the cooler for quite awhile after they loaded the car. Guess we'll have to wait til Springfield!

6/4/10, 1:47 PM   #16
Kevracer58

If the tires remain the same, all the front runners will change the RR next year, so there will be little drama.

6/4/10, 11:16 PM   #17
Sprint63122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevracer58 View Post
If the tires remain the same, all the front runners will change the RR next year, so there will be little drama.
If this is true then the silver crown teams should make the promoter pay for the extra tire at the red flag stop since he wanted to change the format of the 100 miler then make him pay for it.

6/5/10, 1:12 AM   #18
team3521

I really hope that Bob Sargent DOES NOT try this red flag BS at Springfield or Duquion. It WILL kill dirt champ car racing. Too bad for the Toyota's!

NO RED FLAG!!!!!!!!! unless there is a reason for one!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier 100