IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
11/10/13, 10:47 PM   #131
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
2 mains would require a car count... We rarely send anyone home.
Andy

That is what we are working on.

What would be a more exciting race for the fans and drivers? Racing Three> 6 car heats and a main. OR racing Two 18 car main events , twice a night and figuring pay out by passing points. For a team that spends a lot of time starting from the back this would sound great. The one thing for sure a racer would know is that if they started on the tail of the first race they would be on the pole for the second. I already know who will pull the number 9 pill.

Another great thing would be + 40 laps of seat time v 30 laps of seat time the regular way. The time it take to line up and run 4 separate races vs the time to set up for 2 main races would more than compensate for the extra 10 laps of race speed laps.

Track owners this would also speed up your event somewhat.

THAT SOUNDS GREAT

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/11/13 at 10:52 AM.

11/10/13, 10:55 PM   #132
Cobra 14

Quote:
2 mains would require a car count... We rarely send anyone home.
Sorry for not expanding further on format. ( As it was the post was rather long)

We pull a pill at sign in, and then line up both features from that pill (no heats). The first feature is straight up, the second feature is a total invert of the first feature lineup.

From those results, we use a start/finish matrix to award the points. The total points from both features gives you your overall placings for the night.

This helps in many different ways and importantly, normally creates two feature winners each night so it adds FUN to two teams with victory lane pics etc. ( Also helps provide more opportunity for victory pics for sponsors etc)

The passing points matrix is unique in that it is weighted that passes at the front of the field are worth more than the rear.

We found that the heat races were becoming glorified hot laps after the first 2-3 laps and this way even with smaller car counts, all the cars are on the track for every race which helps create FUN !

The down side is we limit it to 30 cars... but with car counts not exactly setting the world on fire, we should be good for a few more years ..

2 members like this post: DAD, miller51b
11/10/13, 11:09 PM   #133
DAD

Cobra

You guys got something against 3 or 4 Mains? The track owners won't mind with that many people in the pits. Paragon Speedway I think runs two completely different mains for their sprint cars and does quite well with that format.

Lets say you come up with a three way tie for highest passing points, do you take first through third winnings and divide it by three?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/11/13 at 11:30 AM.

11/11/13, 9:00 AM   #134
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 14 View Post
Sorry for not expanding further on format. ( As it was the post was rather long)

We pull a pill at sign in, and then line up both features from that pill (no heats). The first feature is straight up, the second feature is a total invert of the first feature lineup.

From those results, we use a start/finish matrix to award the points. The total points from both features gives you your overall placings for the night.

This helps in many different ways and importantly, normally creates two feature winners each night so it adds FUN to two teams with victory lane pics etc. ( Also helps provide more opportunity for victory pics for sponsors etc)

The passing points matrix is unique in that it is weighted that passes at the front of the field are worth more than the rear.

We found that the heat races were becoming glorified hot laps after the first 2-3 laps and this way even with smaller car counts, all the cars are on the track for every race which helps create FUN !

The down side is we limit it to 30 cars... but with car counts not exactly setting the world on fire, we should be good for a few more years ..
Cobra

I like your idea about weighing passing points.

An old time racer named, "Elmer Davis" once told me that the closer you get to the front of the pack the harder the cars become to pass.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/11/13 at 9:14 AM.

1 member likes this post: Bradleyracing86
11/11/13, 4:45 PM   #135
Bradleyracing86

Bill will you be around this evening?

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/11/13, 5:42 PM   #136
DAD

Quote:
Bill will you be around this evening?
This Bill is always around, but then I know of several other Bills that might not be.

Honest Dad himself

11/11/13, 7:25 PM   #137
Bradleyracing86

Pm me a good number all I have is your shop number.

11/11/13, 8:08 PM   #138
the visitor

Hey There ......Don't know if Cobra mentioned it but the series is Sidewindersprints
there is a web site that you can see the rules .
Sidewindersprints.com you can run several types of chassis , uprights,mirco style .13" wheels 10" wheels 12 sq wings , 16 sq wings ...very diverse .
Stock Motors ...........we have run with them the past 3 yrs and have always had fun at the track , we get to run at some of central pennsylvania's historic tracks and with some of the bigger sprints .
The car counts might not be the greatest right now but that is just about everywhere .
We run a spec tire on the r/r and l/r and it seems to work , we started the season with 2 sets of rear tires and only burnt up one set and the other set will be good to start next season with or at least very good practice tires .
Give it a look ........enjoy...The Visitor

2 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, DAD
11/11/13, 10:56 PM   #139
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by the visitor View Post
Hey There ......Don't know if Cobra mentioned it but the series is Sidewindersprints
there is a web site that you can see the rules .
Sidewindersprints.com you can run several types of chassis , uprights,mirco style .13" wheels 10" wheels 12 sq wings , 16 sq wings ...very diverse .
Stock Motors ...........we have run with them the past 3 yrs and have always had fun at the track , we get to run at some of central pennsylvania's historic tracks and with some of the bigger sprints .
The car counts might not be the greatest right now but that is just about everywhere .
We run a spec tire on the r/r and l/r and it seems to work , we started the season with 2 sets of rear tires and only burnt up one set and the other set will be good to start next season with or at least very good practice tires .
Give it a look ........enjoy...The Visitor
Visitor

I went back and read a few of your threads. Looks like we have been down this road before also. Central Pa. right? Kinda of neat to see both size cars racing together, that is very unusual indeed. Was your perfect attendance winner an upright or sidewinder? How do the track owners like your 2 big races over several smaller ones? Seems to me like they would be tickled to death, with a lot more action for the fans in what is probably a condensed race program.

I have been staying at the La Quinta Inns in Tulsa for the last several trips there. Now I know why, I do try to think outside the box, and it looks like "youse guiys" are doing the same.

You have written an excellent set of rules that many other groups should take time to read, then perhaps adopt some of your ideas into their own rules.

I sure would miss using my Blendzal top end lube though, it makes my exhaust smell so good.

Thanks for the info

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/12/13 at 11:04 AM.

11/12/13, 12:58 PM   #140
DAD

Visitor

Went to your rules again and I couldn't find any info on how you figure passing points. Where might we find that info.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting