Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS Series disbands
10/19/23, 9:16 PM   #1
MSCS Series disbands
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

From Tri State Facebook posting

Officials of the Midwest Sprint Car Series announced today that the series will be ceasing operations effective immediately. This past 2023 race season is the final year as an operating sanctioning body.

The series began in 2001 and along the way featured many legendary drivers. However, it was the weekend drivers and those just starting out who made the series great as MSCS provided them the opportunity to learn and win meaningful races and championships.

Series owner Tom Helfrich said, “MSCS was a very good series with more than its share of memorable moments and competitive racing teams. When we purchased the series, we felt there was a need to continue and build upon what the foundation of the series was as it moved forward. In recent years, there have been fewer drivers who were able to follow the entire series because of other commitments and more choices to race elsewhere. The sport itself has changed since 2001 and we feel we are at a point going forward that we cannot continue to deliver the value we feel is up to our standards and that is the main reason for our decision.
Hopefully, in our past 20 years we have brought success to promoters, racers, and enjoyment to the fans. We want to thank all involved for their time, dedication, and support throughout the years.”

Helfrich, who also promotes Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt, IN added, “Our sport is alive and well. Everyone should understand and be assured that Tri-State Speedway will continue to provide sprint car racing along with other race events as in the past. Our goal is still the same - we are ready and willing to work with all involved for the continued growth of non-wing sprint car racing at our track.”
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 10/19/23 at 9:17 PM.

10/19/23, 11:19 PM   #2
Rpracing1

Unfortunately series just a shadow of what it was once was even though it continued to put on fantastic shows. Several items combined to series demise. Helfrich’s not in business of losing money.

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, luckybuc97, Speedmax3
10/20/23, 4:44 AM   #3
Re: MSCS Series disbands
Hubie48

A big Thank You to MSCS and all those involved putting on the races

I went to a bunch of them.

10/20/23, 7:28 AM   #4
TQ97

Unfortunately that removes some big money paying races, that are likely to revert to weekly shows with most of the same cars showing up….

10/20/23, 7:40 AM   #5
kinser

Honestly it’s not surprising. Hoosier is getting ready to have another price increase and a second one after the first of the year. Until someone can figure out how to rein the costs in there are going to be fewer cars.

10/20/23, 10:34 AM   #6
flagboy55

Be careful Kinser. I once brought up tire costs and was slandered on this forum and others.

2 members like this post: oppweld, PIT CART
10/20/23, 11:35 AM   #7
Re: MSCS Series disbands
Hubie48

All a guy can do is support what's out there.

MSCS had some really great races over the past ten years. At one time I personally enjoyed them more than a USAC show. Of course I was a huge Jon Stanbrough fan!

There was also the KISS series which was pretty great. I saw a couple of these at Terre Haute. One time was very worried for our hero Dave Darland as he flipped damn near into the flagstand.

Then the Danners Sprint Car Series which I believe morphed into "Indiana Sprint Week" believe it or not!

Indiana is a special place for non wing sprint car racing. Heck when I was a kid there were three or four sprint car in my neighborhood! Not to mention the midgets (Leigh Rousch)

I worry more about the loss of Lawrenceburg Speedway. That is a really nice facility, arguably the Best in the State. Great restrooms, good safety fence, well laid out with plenty of parking not to mention the grandstands. It boggles my mind as it is really really a nice track.

10/20/23, 9:07 PM   #8
DJlives

Indiana Sprint week predated USAC. Danners was a USAC event. USAC came on board for Sprint week which was spurred by Kent Evans when he ran Kokomo. Started with Bloomington, Paragon and Kokomo

2 members like this post: Hubie48, nitrofunny
10/20/23, 9:50 PM   #9
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJlives View Post
Indiana Sprint week predated USAC. Danners was a USAC event. USAC came on board for Sprint week which was spurred by Kent Evans when he ran Kokomo. Started with Bloomington, Paragon and Kokomo
Kent Evans,Keith Ford & Mike Miles.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing
10/20/23, 10:04 PM   #10
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Be careful Kinser. I once brought up tire costs and was slandered on this forum and others.
Let them go ahead and slander me. When they have worked the thousands of hours that I have on sprint cars and traveled the thousands of miles that I have to racetracks then I might take their opinion into consideration.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MSCS Series disbands