IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > shootout
12/7/14, 11:43 PM   #1
shootout
little Spike

All Lightning Mini Sprints. The Tulsa Shootout is just a few weeks away, they have all the information posted on their web site. We hope all can make it out to Tulsa. Emmitt Hahn has liked the car count every year it gets better. It is a great track to race on and it is NON-WING.

12/8/14, 12:24 AM   #2
Re: shootout
DAD

I have been trying to arrange a racing junket to go west. I know these guys in the trucking business. They could probably haul 10 or 12 cars out their and enough shared tools and parts to race on. Haul your car to their place load it up and drive on out in a pov or what have you.

I like your rules.

1200cc Mini Sprints
Drivers must be a minimum of 13 years of age.
Roll Cage/Chassis:

Roll Cage minimum size 1 ¼”, .095 4130 Chromoly Tubing. The front section of the cage shall be no further back than the steering wheel. Roll cage shall have sufficient fore and aft bracing, and strength to support the weight of the car and driver in case of an upset. Cage shall have gussets at the intersecting bars to the uprights. Bends must have at least 3 inch radius. No square or pointed corners allowed. Roll cage must be a minimum of 3 in. above the driver’s helmet.

Wheelbase shall be 64” to 74”.

Must be Chain Drive.

Chain guards mandatory. It must shield Driver from chain.

Must have sprint car style hood, tail and have the appearance of an open wheeled dirt sprint car. No modified styles or radical offsets.

Motor not to be offset more than 6” from chassis centerline. (No sidewinders)

All cars to be equipped with either a steering gear or rack and pinion.

A firewall between engine and driver is required.

Tires/Wheels:

Tire Rule: Right rear must be a Hoosier RD15, D15, SP2, SP3 or Ecotech.

13” wheels only.

Engine:

Only reciprocating piston engines allowed. No Turbo charging, supercharging or rotary engines allowed. Approved Lighting Sprint car engine is described as a production engine of which at least 100 engines of identical design and assembly have been manufactured and made available for sale.

1205cc maximum displacement. No downsizing.

Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) crankshaft only, must be stock stroke.

No aftermarket cylinders.

No traction control allowed. If part of factory ECU, it must be disabled.

Aftermarket use and or modification of ignition, exhaust, carburation, and mechanical or electronic fuel injection allowed.

Transmission - must be operable in all gears.

Oil Pan and pickup modifications allowed.

Dry sump oil system allowed.

Must have operable on-board battery, starter and clutch.

Must have stock (working) charging system. No cut out allowed.

Methanol or Gas. No Nitrated fuels.

Mufflers mandatory. Tulsa Fairgrounds requires each vehicle’s noise level be below 95DB.

Minimum Weight:

(Post race with driver)

Stock Bore & Stroke 1000cc or less engines 925 lbs.

Up to 1205cc engines 1000 lbs.

You aren't trying to impress the racers with you knowledge but instead came up down to earth set of rules and are detailed enough to make for a competitive fair racing class that can be checked quickly after the race. I also notice you got the wheelbase thing more in line with modern midget design and don't use that bothersome (to me at least) Dumb ASS Nerf Bar rule.

I had a guy suggest to me just this weekend that I should be racing with you guys, and I think he was serious. Something about me not thinking like he thought I should be for thinking. Go figure!!!

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/8/14 at 8:12 AM.

12/8/14, 12:48 AM   #3
Bradleyracing86

What's the nerf bar rule?

2 members like this post: Airsys, DAD
12/8/14, 1:02 AM   #4
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
What's the nerf bar rule?
That is the one where a guy protested to Jerry that our left rear nerf bar stuck out 1-1/2 inches past the the left tire. Moved him up a place in the feature and moved us over to the MMSA. >>>> It also caused him to have to buy a bladder for his tail tank.

Like the Longer wheel base Midget of today. The extreme offset of the newer chassis the Nerf bar on Midgets sometimes stick out from the tire a little when you pull the left rear wheel all the way in.

If you use a standard FSC nerf and cut it off you have to go back and bend the part that goes into the frame spuds again to get the nerf away from the track.. That is a lot of work for us lazy type. The Nerf Bar rule does not exist in Midget rules>>and I see it as a little safer because it keeps that tire from climbing over things.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/8/14 at 7:41 AM.

12/8/14, 2:02 AM   #5
Bradleyracing86

Is a car with bumpers that protect the wheels considered a open wheel car? I don't care how FSC makes their nerfs but it seems to me that if it sticks out past the tire it would be considered a fender?
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 12/8/14 at 2:05 AM.

2 members like this post: Airsys, DAD
12/8/14, 7:15 AM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Is a car with bumpers that protect the wheels considered a open wheel car? I don't care how FSC makes their nerfs but it seems to me that if it sticks out past the tire it would be considered a fender?
Andy

A pic of a typical left side Midget Nerf Bar. I figure they allow them to stick out a little when the wheel is all the way in in an effort to help keep them down on the ground, and protect the headers,>>>>when the left wheel is moved out they are flush with the tire.

http://www.xxxraceco.com/images/Team...wl%20-%201.jpg

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/8/14 at 7:38 AM.

12/8/14, 12:10 PM   #7
DAD

Dads Ideas for doing the Shoot out on the cheap.

The first and foremost thing is Logistics. With the right logistics anyone can save a lot of money.

2500 to 3000 miles is a bit of a trip to do on ones own pocket book even for a $1000.00 or $1500.00 to win and they don't have too many winners out there. I think we made $800.00 for second place the first year that Mini Sprints was invited to race their. I did not see any of that money my driver and mechanic got it all.

Back in the 60's money was tough also, so racers got to traveling to the races in packs. Many times sleeping in the back of their pickups or station wagons. That would not be smart for Tulsa in December. Another trick was to co exist with one another. One guy would rent a room at a not so expensive Motel and share it with a few friends somewhere around 6 to 10 guys or so. Those motel rooms had a special aroma about them that I can still think back and remember and get an immediate gag reflex from it. But that was part of the cost of racing. We were careful to remove all the extra bedding before we went to the track. I somehow think the management still knew what was going on but we tried not to force their hands.

A benefit of this mode of co existing was you got to know your competition a lot better. In some ways too much better. But it was fun and an adventure for a young guy. We could go to a grocery store and get some bologna and bread and that was lunch for everybody. Nothing better than bacon and eggs cooked on an old gasoline Coleman Stove. That naphtha gas gave the food a definite taste all to itself.

I am a little old for that form of racing anymore. Were I to lay down and turn on my Supper-Charger C-pap machine I would probably be moved to the bath tub and you sure don't want to sleep their and share it with a bunch of other racers.

If I was 20 years younger I would sure think about it because it would be a life experience you would never forget.

I bet you could rent a semi and driver to take you out their and back and even get the chance to race against the semi driver.

Remember we call it "LOGISTICS" now much better than racing on the cheap.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/8/14 at 12:18 PM.

12/9/14, 12:25 AM   #8
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Only thing about the Shootout for Mini/Lightning Sprints is the fact that you have to leave on Monday to arrive on Tue. for parking. Unload everything and take you trailer out or you have to pit with 4-5 other racers then the 1st set of hotlaps is sometime Wed. Morning. Now it's Thursday and you finally get to race the heats. Friday is a off day then Sat morning is the LCQ if you did not make the show threw the heats. FINALLY Feature race Sat. night. now about 11:00-12:00 gotta get the rig in to load everything up and head back in the AM...but you do get a little 14 inch trophy called a Golden Driller if you win...

Everyone should experience it at least once...love the tradition.... hate the format

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: hoscalecody
12/9/14, 1:46 PM   #9
DAD

Damn

I love competition!!! Who would have thought Three winter races for our cars. No conflicts on dates.
Every body going after the cars>>>>all I can say it is great>>NOW>> all we need now is some good $2.00 dollar gasoline, and we got it made in the shade.

Wayne we going to name you the "Come Back Kid">>> Bet you ain't never seen a half empty gas tank>>>always half full.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
12/9/14, 2:24 PM   #10
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Damn

I love competition!!! Who would have thought Three winter races for our cars. No conflicts on dates.
Every body going after the cars>>>>all I can say it is great>>NOW>> all we need now is some good $2.00 dollar gasoline, and we got it made in the shade.

Wayne we going to name you the "Come Back Kid">>> Bet you ain't never seen a half empty gas tank>>>always half full.

Honest Dad himself
Dad gas is 2.16 in Florida and Ga.

And yes just like Chris LeDoux sings a song....

"Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high
Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky
And live like you ain't afraid to die
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride"

HEAVY on this part..."And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride"

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > shootout