IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > J r wins the indy 500
5/29/11, 4:57 PM   #1
J r wins the indy 500
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I'am telling you all that j r won this race! The yellow should have come out when he hit the wall just like any other crash into the wall during the race! The flagman had two checker flags waving! And then after weldon crossed the finish line he wave the yellow and checker! ******** the yellow should have come on at inpact! Why it did not?????? I have no ideal??????????? And you know you can't pass under the yellow! The feld is frozen at that time! And jr was still running pretty fast and finish first!!!!!!

3 members like this post: brian26, mikeham73, Need For Speed
5/29/11, 5:03 PM   #2
Re: J r wins the indy 500
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
I'am telling you all that j r won this race! The yellow should have come out when he hit the wall just like any other crash into the wall during the race! The flagman had two checker flags waving! And then after weldon crossed the finish line he wave the yellow and checker! ******** the yellow should have come on at inpact! Why it did not?????? I have no ideal??????????? And you know you can't pass under the yellow! The feld is frozen at that time! And jr was still running pretty fast and finish first!!!!!!
This will be interesting....... They would have to make a new rule with retroactive effeft in order to give it to Weldon, wouldn't they?

5/29/11, 5:14 PM   #3
Avon Open Wheel fan

Duke I was thinking the same thing. Not really taking sides because I can see the argument for both sides. But that was strange that the yellow flag comes out right after the win.

5/29/11, 5:17 PM   #4
suade82

Like any racetrack in any series pulling the yellow out is the decision of the flag crew. They made the right choice to delay the yellow in this case.

5/29/11, 5:20 PM   #5
Avon Open Wheel fan

I think the positive news is two teams that before today no one would have ever dreamed of winning came in 1st and 2nd. Its nice to see the smaller teams do good. In my book they both are winners and they both drove a great race.

4 members like this post: brian26, dusty tracks, IndyBound, SUPERDUKE
5/29/11, 5:32 PM   #6
Ovalmeister

Quote:

Kinda like when Mark Martin won the Daytona 500 over Kevin Harvick....and NASCAR decided not to throw a yellow while cars were literally crashing and FLIPPING on the race track, ultimately allowing Harvick to inch ahead at the line?
I guess throwing the yellow is "subjective".

David.

5/29/11, 5:49 PM   #7
racinround

They made the right call. A person should not be the benefactor for being the cause of a caution. We all should be thankful Dennis isn't an official in the sport...

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, cmakin, richie
5/29/11, 6:07 PM   #8
spicoli

Let's look at this another way..

Say you're leading, running low on fuel. You take the white flag...

Turn one, motor starts to stumble...

You turn hard right and stuff it in the wall...

Brings out the caution....

Technically, you were ahead at the time the caution came out...

Does that person deserve the win?

3 members like this post: brian26, duel, Vukie
5/29/11, 6:26 PM   #9
mikeham73

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
Let's look at this another way..

Say you're leading, running low on fuel. You take the white flag...

Turn one, motor starts to stumble...

You turn hard right and stuff it in the wall...

Brings out the caution....

Technically, you were ahead at the time the caution came out...

Does that person deserve the win?
Obviously not because that person didn't cross the line. If JR crossed the finish line he should have won.

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
5/29/11, 6:38 PM   #10
Need For Speed

Quote:
I thought the same thing.

Any other time somebody hits the wall, the yellow is out instantly...and the field is frozen/you can't pass under yellow.

It seems funny that the flagman threw the yellow -AFTER- Wheldon passed Hildebrand........

If Hildebrand didn't cross the line, then fine, but he was in the lead at the time he hit the wall, the yellow should have been out at that time...and he crossed the yard of bricks = JR Hilderbrand won the 2011 Indy 500!

2 members like this post: mikeham73, SUPERDUKE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > J r wins the indy 500