IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500 tire rules
3/22/11, 3:52 PM   #1
Little 500 tire rules
C Jagger

The little 500 can be ran this year with Hoosier or American Racer. I guess we can practice on tires we purchase thru our other series but must qualify on Andersons Speedway tires only.

What do you guys think about this new rule?

3/22/11, 4:34 PM   #2
Re: Little 500 tire rules
TQ29m

Uh, what are the other options? What tire does Anderson run, that either of the tire companies don't make? Bob

3/22/11, 6:09 PM   #3
racephoto1

The last time American Racer ran there, If I remember correctly, Eric Gordon ran 500 laps without a tire change, and kicked EVERYONE"S butt. If I'm running that race , that is the ony tire to run.

3/22/11, 7:00 PM   #4
Honest-Sam

Color me confused Paging Jim Hanks, Jack French, or Rick Dawson.............

3/22/11, 7:27 PM   #5
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest-Sam View Post
Color me confused Paging Jim Hanks, Jack French, or Rick Dawson.............
Sam, if you'll row, I'll steer! I guess I just didn't want to admit, it kinda CONFUSED me too! Bob

3/22/11, 7:55 PM   #6
Honest-Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Sam, if you'll row, I'll steer! I guess I just didn't want to admit, it kinda CONFUSED me too! Bob
Thankfully, we've got a couple months for them to sort it out. Still, i feel inclined to make a couple calls to see if anyone can clarify it for us. I was wondering if the MSRXSS sanctioning of the Little 5 would bring any changes and/or confusion. By that, I mean confusion by way of rule changes. Do not mean that MSRXSS is doing anything confusing.
Last edited by Honest-Sam; 3/22/11 at 10:16 PM.

3/22/11, 9:27 PM   #7
dadams17

From what I understand and was told by a reliable source, the Anderson Speedway tires do consist of American Racer and Hoosier. The tires we use up until then can be used for practice, like always, then must purchase an ART or Hoosier for qualifying and raceday. This is the start of what many people have complained about and forces both companies to produce the best tire at the most competitive price. Again, this is not a definite answer but am pretty positive it is right, or atleast on the right track.

Donnie
Last edited by dadams17; 3/22/11 at 9:40 PM.

3/22/11, 9:40 PM   #8

I don’t think Chris was concerned about the tire manufacturer as he was the fact that you have to buy your tires at the track (Chris, correct me if I’m wrong). The way I read the entry was that you even had to buy your practice tires at the track.
I have no problem with the American Racer tire (but I will say it’s been a long time ago that Eric won on them and I think he could win that race with two roller skates and a stick!), but I probably wouldn’t use them that weekend given a choice. I’d run the Hoosiers because that’s what HOSS uses. But I’d like to know what compounds they will be selling as well as the price.
As someone who has failed to make the race more then I’ve made it, I could at least count on using up my tires from that week at the upcoming HOSS races. But if they use the Hoosier compounds that USAC uses, those tires are no good for me after that weekend. Remember HOSS and AVSS both use a different compound tire on all four corners then USAC.
I’m sure Anderson Speedway won’t be gouging their racers with extravagant pricing on their tires. They are way too classy of a group for that. But it would still be nice to know the compounds.

Tom Paterson

3/22/11, 10:22 PM   #9
Honest-Sam

I wonder if there will be any new rules for tires this year. i.e., how many we're allowed to use through the course of the week and during the race.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500 tire rules