IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > McQueen to honor Kara Hendrick
12/1/15, 1:35 PM   #1
McQueen to honor Kara Hendrick
Smeents

McQueen to debut tribute car for 25th Anniversary of the late Kara Hendrick at the 2016 Chili Bowl Nationals

Dupo, IL (December 1, 2015) The 2016 Chili Bowl will be a very special one for not only, Shannon McQueen and her McQueen Racing team, but also for the family of the late USAC driver, Kara Hendrick. Two of the three McQueen Racing entries for the Chili Bowl will sport the traditional black, pink, and blue graphics schemes, while Shannon's entry will have a completely new (old) and sentimental design. On Monday, January 11, 2016, McQueen Racing will roll a white, pink, and blue #7 midget out of its trailer with the same look as the three-quarter midget that Kara Hendrick drove prior to a crash that ended her young life. This car, A Tribute to Kara Hendrick, will be the car that Shannon will campaign throughout the 2016 season.

While Shannon is known as being the first female driver (2007) and owner/driver (2012) to win a USAC midget feature, as well as championships with USAC Western States (2012) and the Bay Cities Racing Association (2011), she knows that Kara Hendrick created these opportunities for her and other women wanting to be race car drivers. Shannon contributes her ability to move up through the racing ranks to Hendrick, saying "Kara opened doors for female drivers like me. I never would have been the first female driver to win a USAC Western States Midget feature or championship because Kara would have already done it." Unfortunately Kara never got that chance. In October 1991, after setting a new track record at El Cajon Speedway, Kara lost her life in a racing accident at just 22 years old. For McQueen, this created a tough decision as to whether she should continue racing or give it up. Although she had never met Kara, she looked up to her as did many young racers in that day. After all, Kara was making laps and making quite a name for herself in the racing world. Before moving up to three-quarter midgets, Kara won numerous quarter midget races and a National Grand Championship. In 1989, Kara finished second in the USAC three-quarter midget series point standings, the highest finish ever for a female driver. At the time of her death, she was still just getting started in what looked to be a promising racing career.

In 1993, the Hendrick family created the Kara Hendrick Memorial Scholarship Foundation. This foundation helps young racers continue pursuing their racing dreams. In 2003, USAC announced the Kara Hendrick Spirit Award, which is awarded to a female driver that demonstrates the same determination, talent, and character traits that Kara did during her racing career. Following her USAC Western States Midget Championship in 2012, Shannon was named the recipient of this prestigious award. For Shannon, this was a huge honor, as she looked up to Kara and her racing accomplishments. Since that time, Shannon has wanted to do something to honor Kara and the legacy she left behind.

Shannon would like to thank the Hendrick family for their support on this project. This is something she has wanted to do for a few years now and finally in 2016, the 25th anniversary of Kara's passing, that dream will become a reality. More information about this car, the build, and the Kara Hendrick Memorial Scholarship Foundation will be on display at the McQueen Racing pit area throughout the Chili Bowl Nationals. Fans are encouraged to stop by and take a look at one driver's special tribute to her childhood hero.
Attached Images
image.jpeg (782.0 KB, 192 views)

12/1/15, 1:43 PM   #2
Re: McQueen to honor Kara Hendrick
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

What a very cool way to honor the memory of Kara!

3 members like this post: DAD, jim goerge, tigerone
12/1/15, 6:15 PM   #3
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I was crewing on Jack Zimmerman's TQ when Kara and her brother Kenny were coming up through the ranks; both very talented and well-spoken young racers. She was taken way too soon.
If I'm not mistaken that's a Jimmy Naylor paint job on Kara's ride; it sure is faithfully reproduced on the new version, Right down to the blue anodized beadlock covers. Takes me back...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

3 members like this post: DAD, davidm, tigerone
12/3/15, 2:51 PM   #4
John P Huss

What a great tribute to Kara!
She was a great talent.

Best Regards,

John

12/4/15, 2:36 PM   #5
JDFAST

Wow, its been that long

I was lucky enuf to spend some time with Kara when she raced at Ventura. She always had a positive attitude and was fun to be around. Also she kicked ass on the track, I still reminisce about the good times at Ventura when they ran TQ's and karts, alot of good talent running both divisions (PJ/PAGE/Pedregon Brothers/Cory/Jay etc).

Kara is still missed by all who knew her. Glad to see Shannon honoring Kara, both classy gals (actually ladies)

12/5/15, 8:56 AM   #6
jahmo55

And this is just one more reason why Shannon McQueen is my Favorite Driver at the Chili Bowl.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > McQueen to honor Kara Hendrick