IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kudos to WoO & DIRT/UMP
2/9/24, 11:28 AM   #1
Kudos to WoO & DIRT/UMP
openwheelfan1

I know, I know….WoO is wings, so nobody cares, but compliments to the WoO and DIRT/UMP officials, racers and crews at Volusia last night. They started about 5:40 PM with hot laps and the final checker was at approx 10:40 PM. They ran WoO hot laps, qualifying, 4 heats, C, B, and A main, and 6 DIRT/UMP modified features. I believe a total of 150 racecars competed last night. They had (1) track rework after qualifying was complete.

I know I said that no show should last more that 3-3.5 hrs, and I stand by that, BUT most normal shows don’t have 150 cars competing.

2/9/24, 12:45 PM   #2
Re: Kudos to WoO & DIRT/UMP
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
I know, I know….WoO is wings, so nobody cares, but compliments to the WoO and DIRT/UMP officials, racers and crews at Volusia last night. They started about 5:40 PM with hot laps and the final checker was at approx 10:40 PM. They ran WoO hot laps, qualifying, 4 heats, C, B, and A main, and 6 DIRT/UMP modified features. I believe a total of 150 racecars competed last night. They had (1) track rework after qualifying was complete.

I know I said that no show should last more that 3-3.5 hrs, and I stand by that, BUT most normal shows don’t have 150 cars competing.
Back when Houston Raceway Park/Royal Purple Raceway was open, there were times when we would have a USMTS show with 75 or more modifieds and 50+ Limited Modifieds (both can be prone to long delays). Most times they took only 4 hours from hot laps to feature finishes. Of course the timing was determined by USMTS. Local drivers bitched about not getting a break. . . . and this was long before any televised or streamed events.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, TNRustler
2/9/24, 5:28 PM   #3
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post

I think it's outstanding. I can't understand why shows drag out when its not necessary. Other than weather, a delay for an accident, or other such circumstances there is no reason for any show to go past 10:30 or 11.

3 members like this post: openwheelfan1, tirespinner, TNRustler
2/10/24, 10:10 AM   #4
BrentTFunk

It was quite a bit later on Friday. They qualified the modifieds, and had more crash clean ups, but very little down time.

3 members like this post: nathans1012, openwheelfan1, tirespinner
2/10/24, 11:13 AM   #5
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
It was quite a bit later on Friday. They qualified the modifieds, and had more crash clean ups, but very little down time.
That main stretch crash on the restart in the WoO feature was NASTY, but thankfully wasn’t as bad as it could have been. When you need two wreckers working together to lift a car off of two others you know you’ve got a mess!

And I agree…very little downtime last night.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, LUCKYONE
2/10/24, 1:19 PM   #6
dsc1600

One of the best things that has come out in the last decade or so is by and large most of the large dirt series across the board are committed to running efficient shows.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, LUCKYONE, miledirt
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kudos to WoO & DIRT/UMP