IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Carbon Fiber Torque Tube...
4/24/10, 7:59 PM   #1
Carbon Fiber Torque Tube...
AJFrancis21

I'm yet to check the rules with USAC or other leading series but I was woundering if anyone has any experance or thoughts on a Carbon Fiber Torque tube?
Posted via Mobile Device

4/24/10, 9:04 PM   #2
Re: Carbon Fiber Torque Tube...
TQ29m

They were banned at one time, if memory serves me right! Bob

4/24/10, 9:25 PM   #3
Anderson36

We have used one in a Maxim/Scat V4 that we ran a few times about 8 years ago.

It came with the car so I am not sure how old it was. The car was the ex Doug Kallita car with a Scat V4 once owned by Rollie Helmling.

We were running RT66 Raceway in Joliet Illinois one night and broke the carbon drive shaft. After looking closer at the problem, the adhesive that bonded the carbon tube to the aluminum splined ends had broke loose.

The shaft ws extremely light weight, but the torque of that motor snapped the glue.

Hope this helps,
Jimmy Anderson

4/25/10, 2:42 AM   #4
MAXIMHATER

he said torque tube not drive shaft there is a big difference the carbon torque tubes suck if you want carbon shardes in your legs go a head and run them

4/25/10, 11:16 AM   #5
TQ29m

If you'll Google carbon fiber torque tube, you'l find one manufacturer for them, and their ad says WoO approved. There are some other tid bits about using them in Corvettes, driveshafts that is, but I don't think they are legal, maybe only in WoO. Bob

4/25/10, 2:23 PM   #6
etpro43

I know a few guys ran them in little 500 cars a few years ago and I know a couple had problems with the adhesive coming apart and later we found that the adhesive would only hold up to about 300 degrees.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Carbon Fiber Torque Tube...