IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question about Habstaudt for drivers.
7/27/09, 9:20 PM   #1
Question about Habstaudt for drivers.
ByronMack

Just wondering, when they rework the track after the heats and before the feature,does it make it harder to get the set up right? Seems to me(being a fan and not a driver) it would be frustrating to run the heats and then have the track change.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
7/28/09, 7:10 AM   #2
Re: Question about Habstaudt for drivers.
Knoke77

It's not as bad as one thinks when they do that although at times it can be a pain. Say for example they run 4 heats and you were in the first or second heat the track may have still been in pretty good condition. After reworking the track it may be similar to how it was during your heat so minor adjustments need to be made. If you were in a third or fourth heat where the track had really slicked off then it's more of a guess how much you need to go back with your setup. Do you go back to your hotlap setup or somewhere inbetween?

I've been there before where we ran hotlaps and the track was black slick during hotlaps and they reworked it before qualifying. There were a lot of tight racecars and tons of wheelstands. Other times they have reworked the track before the feature so everyone loosened there cars up and the track blew away in just a few laps and a lot of people were out to lunch.

Most teams have been out there doing this long enough now that when the track changes they can adapt very quickly and if the car is off a little bit the driver will adjust his driving style to make it work.

1 member likes this post: SprintManDave
7/28/09, 4:06 PM   #3
ByronMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoke77 View Post
It's not as bad as one thinks when they do that although at times it can be a pain. Say for example they run 4 heats and you were in the first or second heat the track may have still been in pretty good condition. After reworking the track it may be similar to how it was during your heat so minor adjustments need to be made. If you were in a third or fourth heat where the track had really slicked off then it's more of a guess how much you need to go back with your setup. Do you go back to your hotlap setup or somewhere inbetween?

I've been there before where we ran hotlaps and the track was black slick during hotlaps and they reworked it before qualifying. There were a lot of tight racecars and tons of wheelstands. Other times they have reworked the track before the feature so everyone loosened there cars up and the track blew away in just a few laps and a lot of people were out to lunch.

Most teams have been out there doing this long enough now that when the track changes they can adapt very quickly and if the car is off a little bit the driver will adjust his driving style to make it work.
Thanks for the info. I know all the track work can sometimes make for a late drive back home. If only the rest of the state would get on central time it wouldn't be too bad. Late nights but the racing is always good, so I'll keep going.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question about Habstaudt for drivers.